Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: My Adventures with Supergirl

• Start Topic

199-my-adventures-with-superman.jpg

(Season Finale)

Superman, Kara, Lois, and Jimmy team up to fight Brainiac; Superman has to choose between saving Earth and saving the people he loves; it's truth, justice, and a better way clashing with the might of Krypton.

Premiere Date: July 20, 2024   Adult Swim   Midnight

Everyone is here! That was a fun final battle. Thank goodness there's a season 3.

Sam is on Superman's side! Waller is at large! And Luthor and Deathstroke teamed up.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Unclejosh said:

yes. I know. But it felt like a finale.

Probably because the original order was for 2 seasons and, at the time the finale for S2 was written, voice recorded, and animated they didn’t know if there would be a season 3 of not.

As such, they decided to wrap the core story with only a generic “and the adventure continues” style ending showing Lex/Slade will be around and Waller is wanted, but still on the loose… but no explicit tease like “Zod” at the end of last season (because s2 was a go before ep1 even aired).

I’ve always appreciated shows that have the courage to rely on “we told a good story so come back and we’ll tell another one” over cliffhangers that might never be paid off.

There’s enough dangling bits (Waller MIA, Lex/Slade LexCorp startup, Brainiac’s core still existing, whoever the Kryptonians were at war with/survivors of Brainiac’s genocide turning up) that there are plenty of ways you could go with season 3 that wouldn’t feel jarring.

My biggest hope is that they do NOT do the DCEU mistake of bringing in Batman. The Bat has plenty of excellent series and if they bring him in it’s almost certainly going to steal spotlight from probably the best Superman series since the 90’s.

There is plenty of Superman-exclusive content they can mine without needing to touch the broader DCU. Maybe if they get a season 5 we could start branching out… but let’s build up Superman proper instead of bringing in the BatGod for a while longer.

Honestly, my pitch would be for Lex to experiment with Kryptonian DNA resulting in Bizarro and Superboy. Maybe have some related experiments birth some other classic Superman villains (a more comic-accurate Parasite and Metallo for example). Maybe explore Henshaw becoming the Cyborg Superman (or merge his origin into Metallo) as a result of injuries sustained in Brainiac’s attack (which he blames all Kryptonians for).

Lex trying to build his own Superman that he controls (because he still doesn’t trust Superman) could be an easy throughline for a season 3.

On the alien side, I think survivors of the worlds Brainiac destroyed would make more sense than whoever Krypton was at war with. The story made it clear the Kryptonians were the aggressors, but were losing and then signing a peace treaty and then got annihilated… so the other side really doesn’t have a good reason to want to genocide a couple of survivors who were infants at the time.

Those whose own populations got genocided by Brainiac have a much more real beef with any surviving Kryptonian, particularly when one of the two survivors was the puppet Brainiac used for that genocide. It would also fit with the larger theme of Superman finding ways to redeem (or saving them from themselves) his enemies instead of just beating them down/leaving them to their fates.

Point is… lots of ways to go with it.

PS: Supergirl’s costume with the collared mantle is Dope. That is all.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Chris24601 said:

whoever the Kryptonians were at war with

image.png.4ca307ac8d73f4b506f96417219d3939.png

I mean, that's almost certainly Apokolips, which certainly fits the profile of an enemy the Kryptonians couldn't beat.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 7/22/2024 at 4:56 PM, Chris24601 said:

Honestly, my pitch would be for Lex to experiment with Kryptonian DNA resulting in Bizarro and Superboy. Maybe have some related experiments birth some other classic Superman villains (a more comic-accurate Parasite and Metallo for example). Maybe explore Henshaw becoming the Cyborg Superman (or merge his origin into Metallo) as a result of injuries sustained in Brainiac’s attack (which he blames all Kryptonians for).

Lex trying to build his own Superman that he controls (because he still doesn’t trust Superman) could be an easy throughline for a season 3.

I can definitely see Lex doing this.

With Hank Henshaw being involved in the final battle, I figure they can't NOT bring in Cyborg Superman.

• Like 1

Wow, a lot of stuff happened in this finale! And clearly they wrote it not knowing if there would be another season. (Also, I’m assuming the Season 3 renewal is actually for Seasons 3 and 4.) Gonna have to rewatch for more thoughts later.

The power of Love comes through again! Was really surprised to see the villain squad show up! And I really liked seeing Steel again.

Yikes — Brainiac was really crazy! He destroyed the Kryptonian empire instead of being “decomissioned” — I think they still probably would have had use for you, Brainiac.

They brought back Brainiac’s core(??), but I actually hope he stays dead. Superman’s got plenty of other villains.

Aw, Kara at the Kent farm was so sweet! I think it’d be fun to see Jimmy (and everyone else) teach her to be more human.

Surprised at Lex and Slade teaming up. I kinda liked that they were rivals. But I suppose that could change next season. Or not! This show does love an unconventional team-up.

On a shallow note: Supergirl’s suit is good; but Superman doesn’t really need the extra shoulder 'pads'. There’s other stuff I can nitpick, but that’s the biggest one. I hope they go back to a simpler design (and trunks) next season.