Type keyword(s) to search

Maya Hart: Meet Girl's Best Friend

Kromm

Every episode thread, a whole bunch of people say this kid is the best thing in the episode.  Given that, I figured maybe some of that talk could move to a topic dedicated to her.

By and large Disney kids make me cringe, but for some reason this one doesn't.  She's got the smart-ass delivery down really well, but she also seems to play vulnerable very convincingly (which most Disney kids couldn't handle).  In some other thread where we were discussing who sang the show theme song (not Sabrina), we dug up some of her own music on YouTube and she's actually pretty good. 

It's interesting how she got into the Disney system.  Searching her name on YouTube leads you back to something back in 2010 called "Miley's Superstar Contest" (which Sabrina lost, but seems to have gotten fairly far on).  

• Love 2
(edited)

Every episode thread, a whole bunch of people say this kid is the best thing in the episode.  Given that, I figured maybe some of that talk could move to a topic dedicated to her.

By and large Disney kids make me cringe, but for some reason this one doesn't.  She's got the smart-ass delivery down really well, but she also seems to play vulnerable very convincingly (which most Disney kids couldn't handle).  In some other thread where we were discussing who sang the show theme song (not Sabrina), we dug up some of her own music on YouTube and she's actually pretty good. 

It's interesting how she got into the Disney system.  Searching her name on YouTube leads you back to something back in 2010 called "Miley's Superstar Contest" (which Sabrina lost, but seems to have gotten fairly far on).  

Rowan and Sabrina do actually both share the vocals for the theme tune .

Anyway Sabrina sang at the Radio Disney Awards .Sister Sarah is her back up singer and Ben Savage presented her

Read that she and Meghan Trainor co-wrote a song with her and wrote another on for her album.

https://youtu.be/ZHwoqDE9ma0

and she was nominated in the same category as Nick Jonas and One Direction and won( for the song she did with Meghan)

ETA

Sabrina and Sarah singing the theme song live

Edited by Humbugged

I can't really take "Radio Disney" nominations all that seriously.  As for winning against those others?  I guess not knowing anything about the voting process/victory conditions limits how much can be concluded about it.  For all we know, it's Robert Iger sitting in his office looking at a list and asking his VPs who needs the most promotion. It does make a certain amount of sense though that in this window of time Meghan Trainor has more Disney appeal than Nick Jonas, who despite being an alumnus is getting too old to appeal to the core demographic, and even 1D might slowly be slipping into that territory, as the 2-3 year younger siblings of their original fanbase perhaps decide that whatever their siblings like might be uncool.

That singing performance (and to be honest, the song) didn't really impress me to be honest.  That said, a lot of it could be nerves/not being properly disney robot initiated into public performing, because there are clips on YouTube of her singing that are much better. 

(edited)

Kind of necro-ing the thread but eh, listened to a few of her songs and it's not bad. Fairly light but it's teen music, unsurprisingly. Not a fan of We'll Be The Stars, just kind of bland, meh-ness. "Eyes Wide Open" seems something I should like, but just something about it that doesn't work for me.

Also noticed in both the studio and live performance (the one posted above) the end of the chorus gets slurred for some reason. Thought it was possibly tempo, but another fairly up tempo chorus on the same album there aren't any problems so not sure.

Of the few I listened to, I still lean towards "Can't Blame a Girl For Trying" as one I liked the most. Like the kind of poppy surf acoustic sound, if that makes sense, 

Curious to see where the sound goes later on. currently, seems pop with elements of modern alt rock and the singing comes across a bit country at times.. 

No idea if a good singer or not, I suck at judging singing. 

(EDIT: shortened it down, hopefully less rambling and long and weird haha)

Edited by coyotedelmar

Her covers that she post on YouTube have been really amazing, imp. I especially love her "fourfiveseconds" cover with her sister Sarah.

Her "originals" for her album seem to be the weak stuff. Like many young artists she really has no idea how to write a song with any compelling authenticity to it--and so they just sound like fluff. But the voice under them is pretty good. In a few years, with some maturity, and not singing on parade floats or at Disney awards, she may really have something. For now, I hope she sticks mainly to the acting, because that's where her charm/endless chemistry works best.
(edited)

Technically, she's not a good singer. I took lessons for many years and was in choirs for about 8 and she's got a very nasally tone - the hallmark of a singer with bad technique. Not to say she doesn't have talent, but she's not singing correctly.

Edited by Canadian213
  • Love 1

I don't see a "Maya" thread and I don't really want to start one, but I just have to get this off my chest. I want to like Maya but I just can't! I've tried to separate her character from Shawn Hunter, even though I believe that they were trying to create a female version of him. However, she is just not likeable, to me. She is borderline mean sometimes and she's annoying/rude/self-centered/obnoxious. I can't even stand watching her sometimes. If she ends up getting with Lucas, that's going to be the last straw for me. Her obsession with Shawn gets on my nerves too. Girlfriend needs to get some help with her daddy issues and not look for Shawn to fill that void in her life.

That felt good to release that. I sincerely hope that they tone her down or that she matures/finds herself soon. I want to like her, I do, but now I just can't.

• Love 3

Glad, you got that off your chest.But, yeah I feel the exact opposite of Maya. I can understand why she is "obsessed" with Shawn. She has daddy issues of course. Her Dad left her and started a new family, without an explanation. She is searching for that father figure in her life. (Yes she has that in Cory), but all she wants is to have that normal household that she witnesses everyday with Riley. She's an insecure 14 year old that believes she's not really worth anything, its pretty sad. Yes, she can be mean, but I like how they developed her from season 1 to present time.

Truthfully, a big reason I love Maya is how Sabrina portrays the character. If it was any other actress, I probably would not love Maya as much.

I honestly have no qualms with any of the characters. They all have the good and bad qualities. But, we all see these characters differently. And, people can dislike who they want.

Edited by CheetaraThunder
  • Love 3

Radio Disney and everything associated with it annoys the shit out of me, but I have to admire how well Sabrina handles talking to little kids on this.  If Maya the character doesn't always come off as sweet, I think Sabrina as herself does in this.

She did also get to hang out with Meghan Trainor.

I'm going to say it I know she has a big fanbase who's gonna disagree but I think that title should be changed, she's a terrible friend during this triangle (outside the triangle she's awesome which shows that the writers has to make people ooc in order to make this ridiculous storyline work) but why does Farkle know more about her so called bestfriend than Maya? Knows her feelings knows that she's lying, knows that she's sad? Why is Lucas so important (and again she's not even sure of her feelings these writers are terrible but that's a different topic because the fact that we are still on this triangles shows this was not what I thought it would be) that she is almost ignoring everything and in a way is focusing on her own happiness. Freaking cardboard Lucas seems more worried about these girls feelings and hurting either of these girls and their friendship than Maya seems to be about hurting either Lucas or Riley. She didn't care that Lucas clearly liked Riley and even said it, didn't care that there was a change in the dynamic and that Riley was acting different in any other situation if Lucas wasn't involved Maya would be the first to notice Riley's change but because she feels she likes Lucas everything else be damned?

I get it she's young blah blah blah, but almost everyone else in the show is aware except for her regarding the triangle. She's had a tough life and Maya feelings matter, meanwhile everyone on this show has sacrificed something or another for Maya's personal happiness, she gets everything she wants most of the time. Maybe it's the pedestal she's put on by certain fans, or how her happiness is based on Lucas that annoys me, but I hate the way the writers are writing her for this triangle they brought out the worst. She's not acting like a bestfriend at all and I would prefer the Maya that was more chicks over...well you know.

Edited by beetlesoda
  • Love 3

I think I've figured out why Maya has seen the focus shifted to her more. Disney seems to be pushing Sabrina lately and with her amazing voice she will have the potential to be their new breakout singer.

I hadnt realized how well her musical career had taken off. Both albums charted really well. If season 3 is the end it'll be because Sabrina wants to focus solely on music.

Also she was attractive at 15 (rewatching season 1 Christmas episode), but at 17 she's stunning. Seems to have a good head on her shoulders too.

Edited by Skyfall

I think Maya is just as much to blame for the unhealthy closeness of her friendship with Riley as the latter is to blame. I also blame Cory and Topanga for not encouraging them to spread their wings a little more.

Riley and Maya's "unbreakable" (rather, obsessive) bond I found okay at first and not really unhealthy. But the writers were sure to amp it up towards the end of the show to the point where that was the case. I find these obsessive friendships really annoying in today's kids' shows, and Girl Meets World took it to the extreme with Riley and Maya. They did not know how to seperate from each other; it was bad enough to the point that they were getting up in front of the class and doing each other's speeches together as a DUET!! And Cory actually accepted this?! This is where I have to face-palm big time. Topanga noticed this too and accepted it, so the blame falls on her as well.

Cory and Shawn were inseperable friends in Boy Meets World, and Topanga even said that Cory loved Shawn more than he loved her. But at least Cory and Shawn had to figure out a lot of stuff on their own. They had a lot of plots written seperately. I can't recall a time that happened with Riley and Maya. It sends a bad message to young kids, because they'll think it's okay to be emotionally reliant on someone else. You can't get through life that way.

• Love 3