Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

(edited)

These are ATHLETES. The sport requires athleticism, training and skill. Just watch one routine and when the swimmers go underwater hold your breath and just TRY to keep it until they surface.

Edited by MaryMitch
  • Like 2
  • Applause 6
3 minutes ago, MaryMitch said:

There are competitions, judges, athleticism, rules, skills, training.... SPORT.

You could say the same about a lot of things, doesn't make them an Olympic sport. BUT if people don't like it then don't watch it, doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

• Applause 1

I looked at this and i was like.. what on earth is artistic swimming? 
then i realised it was SYNCHRONIZED SWIMMING .  hehehhehe

honestly. synchro swimming is as much as a "hobby" as badminton, gymnastics, tennis, and track and field. as in, its a hobby until you decide you want to make this your entire life, dedicate yourself to it, and go pro (or hard core amateur and compete at the Olympics).  

i wouldn't watch gymnastics and go "that's a hobby not a sport." nor would i do it for this. it's a sport. (well technically speaking it's an event but it's still sporty). 

• Like 7
  • LOL 1

What they do is difficult and requires hours and hours of training and a considerable amount of talent. Just because it’s not popular in the US doesn’t mean that the competition or the athletes should be denigrated and told it’s “not a real sport.” 

• Like 12
  • Applause 6

I was an AAU synchronized swimmer for years in the 1960s-1970s. I remember my coaches talking about getting it into the Olympics and I thought they were delusional. Shows you what I know. It the hardest thing I’ve ever done physically. It has come so far especially with the out of the water/platform gymnastics.

I love watching it but it wouldn’t break my heart if the Olympics dropped it. I think gender specific sports are an anachronism. I know they will let men in now but…I just can’t see it. I do love the underwater camera shots….they just never stop moving. 

• Like 2

Just watched this…..I felt the Mexico team really did the best thematically. I loved theirs the most. Glad to see the US medal….been a long time considering we invented the thing.