Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3 Discussion-POTENTIAL SPOILERS

• Start Topic

I didn't particularly like first four episodes as I found Pen and Colin's romance too rushed. Therefore I had very low hopes for four last episodes, but I was pleasantly susprised.

Lady Whistleton was thoroughly dealt and not only as an obstacle to Pen and  Colin's relationship, but more as a way to show her development: her being not seen by all, even by her own family and beginning to write because of that frustration, realization of power and forgetting her initial aim to defend powerless. 

I especially liked what the owner of a fashion store said: that Pen has made bad decisions in the past was no defense, she must stand behind them, i.e. take responsiblity for them, but also move on. 

It was also good was that Colin wasn't given a role of a savior but Pen herself made the decision to ask mercy from the Queen and go to the public.  

• Like 5

I'm going to make this comment here rather than in one of the episode threads, because it is a minor detail. It's just...I know that the show is a fantasy set in an alternate universe, and is packed with anachronisms in every scene, most of them by design, and most of the time I'm fine with that, but somehow the anachronism that really gets under my skin and irritates me every time is how they handle titles and succession, because it is wrong every time. We saw it in Queen Charlotte when Lady Danbury was begging the Queen to specify succession for her husband's title after it had already been created (that's not how it works). We saw it both last season and this when the new Lord Featherington was somehow able to sign over his title to the next boy child to be born in the family (that's not how it works). We saw it this season when the little Mondrich boy was left a title (and estate) in the will of a distant relative (that's not how it works). And we saw it this season when that solicitor kept threatening to take the Featherington title away and have it given to someone 'more worthy' (that's not how it works).

I don't know why it bugs me so much, when the show makes everything up as it goes along and plot is more important than period accuracy at every step of the way, but for some reason this particular detail really grates on me at every turn. Succession for every title is determined at the moment that title is created and cannot be altered after the fact, it is set down in law, inviolable. A title cannot be disposed of by the title-holder in their will, because succession is already pre-determined - the title doesn't belong to the holder, the holder belongs to the title, so to speak. And while a person can disclaim a title for themselves, they don't get to decide who should have it instead, it simply goes on ice until that person dies and then automatically passes to the next heir in line. And so on. And for some reason, the way the show handles these things really irritates me!

I also severely side-eyed all the casual Cymrophobia around Cressida being sent to Wales as a punishment. Scotland was talked up as being so beautiful and peaceful, a wonderful place for Francesca to live (other than being so far away) and a wonderful opportunity for Eloise to visit, while Wales was dismissed as the backend of nowhere, full of nothing but sheep, and a fate worse than death for Cressida to be banished there. Thanks a bunch, writers - I thought this show was all about breaking down stereotypes rather than reinforcing them. 😏 Wales at this time was actually at the forefront of the burgeoning industrial revolution and a popular holiday destination for the upper classes.

Other than those nitpicks, I enjoyed the season. Bubblegum TV at its finest. I was surprised by how pleased I was to see all of the Featheringtons get a happy ending and wind up on affectionate good terms with one another, and I'm guessing from the way those last few scenes played out that Benedict and possibly Eloise will be at the forefront of season 4. Will the show last long enough to get to Hyacinth or Gregory? I doubt it, but the lengthy gaps between seasons mean that the child actors might actually age into the romantic role by the time they get there!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Llywela said:

I'm going to make this comment here rather than in one of the episode threads, because it is a minor detail. It's just...I know that the show is a fantasy set in an alternate universe, and is packed with anachronisms in every scene, most of them by design, and most of the time I'm fine with that, but somehow the anachronism that really gets under my skin and irritates me every time is how they handle titles and succession, because it is wrong every time. We saw it in Queen Charlotte when Lady Danbury was begging the Queen to specify succession for her husband's title after it had already been created (that's not how it works). We saw it both last season and this when the new Lord Featherington was somehow able to sign over his title to the next boy child to be born in the family (that's not how it works). We saw it this season when the little Mondrich boy was left a title (and estate) in the will of a distant relative (that's not how it works). And we saw it this season when that solicitor kept threatening to take the Featherington title away and have it given to someone 'more worthy' (that's not how it works).

I don't know why it bugs me so much, when the show makes everything up as it goes along and plot is more important than period accuracy at every step of the way, but for some reason this particular detail really grates on me at every turn. Succession for every title is determined at the moment that title is created and cannot be altered after the fact, it is set down in law, inviolable. A title cannot be disposed of by the title-holder in their will, because succession is already pre-determined - the title doesn't belong to the holder, the holder belongs to the title, so to speak. And while a person can disclaim a title for themselves, they don't get to decide who should have it instead, it simply goes on ice until that person dies and then automatically passes to the next heir in line. And so on. And for some reason, the way the show handles these things really irritates me!

I also severely side-eyed all the casual Cymrophobia around Cressida being sent to Wales as a punishment. Scotland was talked up as being so beautiful and peaceful, a wonderful place for Francesca to live (other than being so far away) and a wonderful opportunity for Eloise to visit, while Wales was dismissed as the backend of nowhere, full of nothing but sheep, and a fate worse than death for Cressida to be banished there. Thanks a bunch, writers - I thought this show was all about breaking down stereotypes rather than reinforcing them. 😏 Wales at this time was actually at the forefront of the burgeoning industrial revolution and a popular holiday destination for the upper classes.

Other than those nitpicks, I enjoyed the season. Bubblegum TV at its finest. I was surprised by how pleased I was to see all of the Featheringtons get a happy ending and wind up on affectionate good terms with one another, and I'm guessing from the way those last few scenes played out that Benedict and possibly Eloise will be at the forefront of season 4. Will the show last long enough to get to Hyacinth or Gregory? I doubt it, but the lengthy gaps between seasons mean that the child actors might actually age into the romantic role by the time they get there!

I kind of saw it more that Cressida would be with her awful aunt in Wales first and foremost. 

• Like 1
(edited)
40 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I kind of saw it more that Cressida would be with her awful aunt in Wales first and foremost. 

Oh yeah, the awful aunt was the real punishment. But the commentary about Wales in general was there too, in multiple remarks made. (I'd expect it more from an English writer, but this show has an American showrunner.)

I actually felt really sorry for Cressida's desperation. She brought all her troubles on herself, sadly, but she had been trying to be a better person through the season, only to wind up in a place of absolute desperation. She really needed to make a match with the fella who was going to go off overseas and needed a wife to manage his affairs back home!

Edited by Llywela
  • Like 5
(edited)
41 minutes ago, Llywela said:

Oh yeah, the awful aunt was the real punishment. But the commentary about Wales in general was there too, in multiple remarks made. (I'd expect it more from an English writer, but this show has an American showrunner.)

I actually felt really sorry for Cressida's desperation. She brought all her troubles on herself, sadly, but she had been trying to be a better person through the season, only to wind up in a place of absolute desperation. She really needed to make a match with the fella who was going to go off overseas and needed a wife to manage his affairs back home!

True that I have always heard Scotland is "rough". 

Cressida was desperate and in the end it blew up in her face. I kept hoping Debling would show up. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 2
11 minutes ago, retired watcher said:

I'm watching season 1, late to the game I know. Has there ever been any mention of Lady Danbury's children? I'm curious since she seemed to care about their futures in Queen Charlotte.

I thought there was but I don't remember. 

2 hours ago, retired watcher said:

I'm watching season 1, late to the game I know. Has there ever been any mention of Lady Danbury's children? I'm curious since she seemed to care about their futures in Queen Charlotte.

I'm pretty sure I remember being told in some off-the-cuff remark that they are all grown and have flown the coop, don't come to London for the season (presumably no grandchildren of the right age) so she now transfers all her energy onto other peoples' children instead.

• Like 2