Type keyword(s) to search

Standardized Form for New Show Forum Requests

• Start Topic

You should really think about creating a standardized form that members fill out for New Show Forum Requests, that includes things like: Show Title, Release Date, TV Show Category, Content Provider/Network, Videos, Special Instructions about how the show should be posted (like photo to use for the TV Series Header Picture) etc.

• Applause 1

Thanks for the suggestion. As this is all the information we need to create a forum, a standardized form would only make sense if approval would directly convert it into a forum. As the individuals who write code seem to be able to do anything, it would probably be possible, however, I don't know how compatible it would be with the forum software and how much work it would require. So, while it could be possible in theory, it might not be realistic. 

But I'll bring it up next week. Nevertheless, even if it's taken under consideration, due to an upcoming software upgrade, it likely won't happen for a while. (Any customizations make the upgrade so much harder to implement).

In the meantime, anyone who has suggestions for a header, can create a topic in the respective forum, post their picture suggestion and tag me. Alternatively, you can also start a topic in the New Show Forum Requests forum. Either works for me, so you may choose the option you find more convenient.  

I've brought it up for consideration and if it happens, it won't happen for a few months. 

So, I wondered about alternatives and this is what I came up with: 

I could create a topic with a template. The template could be copied and pasted for each forum request and the requests could be made in that topic. 

Please let me know if you think that would be helpful and/or if I should create the topic I mean so that there's a visual of what I'm envisioning. 

• Applause 1

I think it would help quite a bit, since I believe that all show entries should include at least the bare minimum of information that would allow someone else to watch the show if interested.

A show with a clear release date is quite different from a show that has just been greenlight for production, especially in terms of accurate, tangible information available and level of viewer's enthusiasm.

• Applause 1

I thought there was already a pinned post in the New Show Forum Requests that indicated how to request a new show forum?

8 hours ago, DanaK said:

I thought there was already a pinned post in the New Show Forum Requests that indicated how to request a new show forum?

Yes there’s a how-to post and an example. If those are no longer accurate then seems like they should be updated. 

16 hours ago, DanaK said:

As others have kindly pointed out, there is and in theory, it's still accurate, @SoMuchTV

However, the idea is to have a single topic where you can just copy or quote. I don't know if it's more convenient or practical in the long-run but I'd like to give it a try. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

A form can ask information like episode count, show length, network, release date, etc. Things that would be good to know, but might not be conveyed normally. From there you can create a standardized boilerplate title release that places the information that people might want most right at the top and then mix in the fluffier stuff.

I think the important part of a form is you provide information that doesn't necessarily have to be part of the post when the Title Thread is made. Does it really matter if the show is genre, drama, or comedy, I thought that was more for your categorizing system than for the viewers, although that information might help somewhat, you are probably more likely to get the genre from the show description, since everything is a dramedy nowadays. I am most frustrated my new show posts of currently running shows that don't tell you what network they are on or how you can watch the show. (That might just be because of your documentary section rework, I can't tell if the shows are soon to be released or already released.)

I never really understood what the difference was between the shows that go in the "Pilot & In Development Shows" thread and "New Show Forum Requests", it seems like same information can be used for either. Is it that one has a definitive network attached and the other doesn't? One thread needs approval to create and the other can be made by anyone. It seems like the two threads could somehow be utilized/merged so the information in one isn't lost on the other. Maybe you pick your "New Show Forum Requests" through the shows submitted in the "Pilot & In Development Shows" when you think there is enough, or very solid information, of the show being released. This way people can post as many shows as they want whenever they want. But that would a lot more work for the people running the website. 

14 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

A form can ask information like episode count, show length, network, release date, etc. Things that would be good to know, but might not be conveyed normally. From there you can create a standardized boilerplate title release that places the information that people might want most right at the top and then mix in the fluffier stuff.

There's no restriction to the information that can be provided, just a couple of requirements.

As the request the person requesting the new forum makes becomes the first post of the first topic, any information that's included in the request will get transferred to the forum/topic. 

14 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I never really understood what the difference was between the shows that go in the "Pilot & In Development Shows" thread and "New Show Forum Requests", it seems like same information can be used for either. Is it that one has a definitive network attached and the other doesn't? One thread needs approval to create and the other can be made by anyone. It seems like the two threads could somehow be utilized/merged so the information in one isn't lost on the other. Maybe you pick your "New Show Forum Requests" through the shows submitted in the "Pilot & In Development Shows" when you think there is enough, or very solid information, of the show being released. This way people can post as many shows as they want whenever they want. But that would a lot more work for the people running the website. 

I believe the "Pilot & In Development Shows" is a remnant of something that's not used anymore but I'll look into it. 

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, CM-BlueButterfly said:

I believe the "Pilot & In Development Shows" is a remnant of something that's not used anymore but I'll look into it. 

Pilot & In Development Shows is a place to discuss shows that are in development but have not yet been ordered to series. Forum requests can only be done for shows that have been ordered to series (or at least that is how it used to be; I guess it's possible that this policy was changed).

On 7/14/2024 at 11:17 AM, AnimeMania said:

I am most frustrated my new show posts of currently running shows that don't tell you what network they are on or how you can watch the show. (That might just be because of your documentary section rework, I can't tell if the shows are soon to be released or already released.)

Yes, that drives me crazy too. I've been helping with moving the docs stuff and it's prevalent in the various categories I've looked at but not confined to strictly docs

On 7/14/2024 at 11:17 AM, AnimeMania said:

I gave it some though, however, I have a lot of reservations. Tastes differ and I don't think it should be the administrative and moderator team who pick the shows members "want" to discuss but the members. 

I checked and it's as paulvdb said. "Pilots & Development" is intended as a place to discuss announcement projects/shows that may or may not come to fruition. So, for example, in 2020 it was announced that there'd be a series based on the movie "Center Stage". "Pilots & Development" would've been the place for me to go there and share my excitment about it (or my disappointment that it, apparently, won't happen). Or the hinted-at "Blue Bloods" spin-off. Anyone who's excited about that can share their excitment in "Pilots & Development" and post updates but also, things like what they would like to see in a spin-off and speculate what it would be about. 

Once a show has been ordered to series, a request for a forum can be made. 

I think in the age of streaming services, many announced projects do become a series. (eg, NCIS Origins or the show focused on Tony & Ziva). However, based on what I've read, it looks like CBS has hit the breaks on a possible "Blue Bloods" spin-off, but the "Pilots & Develoment" forum gives fans a place to discuss it regardless. 

I hope that makes the distinction a bit clearer. 

About the information regarding the network, episode count etc, there's a space between the header and the topics (where a reminder about the spoiler policy was posted here). 

I could use that space to provide information like network, episode count, show length etc, rather than include it in the topic. Would that be an option? 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, CM-BlueButterfly said:

I could use that space to provide information like network, episode count, show length etc, rather than include it in the topic. Would that be an option? 

Episode count varies with season, so that would not be a good place to put it. I basically wanted people to add that type of information to their New Show Requests if they knew it. More like a checklist of things that I would like to know.

12 hours ago, CM-BlueButterfly said:

About the information regarding the network, episode count etc, there's a space between the header and the topics (where a reminder about the spoiler policy was posted here). 

That sounds like an excellent idea to me.

• Like 1
On 7/17/2024 at 1:05 AM, AnimeMania said:

Episode count varies with season, so that would not be a good place to put it.

The information could be edited, so episode counts could be either adjusted to reflect the current season or be listed for every season.

On 7/17/2024 at 1:05 AM, AnimeMania said:

I basically wanted people to add that type of information to their New Show Requests if they knew it. More like a checklist of things that I would like to know.

As it can take a little time to find out any information that goes beyond title, category, network and synopsis, I hope you’ll understand that I have my reservations about making that a requirement. In my role as the community manager, it’s my desire that the ability to request a forum doesn’t get limited to those who can invest the time but is possible for all members.

With that said, any member requesting a forum may list all the information they would like to see in the new forum under "additional information" when requesting a forum. 

Any member may also add any information they’re interested in to a forum. Since discussion isn’t restricted to the “General Discussion” thread that is created initially and the creation of episode, spoiler & speculation and media topics are welcome, members may add a topic that lists the raw facts like episode count, length, cast & crew etc if they wish.

However, if I’m provided with the information, I’d be happy to put it where I suggested as I create the requested forum. It would be visible upon entering the forum and information can be added or changed at a member’s request.

I'm open to trying either or maybe even both to see which is preferable.

Just gonna pop-in and say that what you (all) are starting to do is shape what will be the next version of the Shows app. The show header image was just a derpy throw-in while I was doing <redacted> for mods a few months back. The external API stuff is all there with episode counts and previews and summaries and etc, etc, and is available in the backend already. Just throwing these things in willy/nilly into what is here right now is not ideal (albeit easy though). I'd actually automate the whole thing. Adding a show sets up all the automatic data pulls and presentation with mods allowed to over-ride as needed/wanted. As this is a business, there are generally costs for APIs when there is a profit to be had so there is that consideration as well when backend things spill into public things.

Given the closure of the main PT site I imagine changes of the overhaul/wholesale variety will be measured and planned so as to anchor things going forward with the next version of the software AND to last a fair number of years going forward. 

Do not take anything I said as to mean "there will be a new shows app", "this site is going to upgrade the software soon", "this thing I want is going to be added". None of that in any way, shape, or form is true as it simply has not been discussed yet.

Right now, only possibilities; until they are not.

• Useful 1