Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Funny Muslim Song

• Start Topic

(edited)

p27231698_e_h8_aa.jpg

Lady Parts finally record the album of their dreams at the legendary Molico Studios, while a heartbroken Taz is off on an odyssey of her own; but Saira’s attempt to write a political song tests the limits of Lady Parts existence on a major label.

Premiere Date: May 30, 2024  Peacock     

LadyParts2x05b.thumb.jpg.fbd7d30941758b41c20a174867fc37a5.jpg

Edited by AnimeMania

I know the veteran singer was supposed to serve as a sort of Bob Dylan to the Beatles/Lady Parts, but I found her attitude irritating and dismissive.  Lady Parts' songs were "Funny Muslim songs"?  Yes, they are fun and witty, but they do address real things - cultural appropriation, colonialism, social pressures, etc.  It was too bad she got into Saira's head and made her feel Lady Parts has to have a political song on the album.  And

Spoiler

the "serious" song in the next episode isn't much different from the songs they were already putting out.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
On 5/30/2024 at 11:03 PM, Brn2bwild said:

I know the veteran singer was supposed to serve as a sort of Bob Dylan to the Beatles/Lady Parts, but I found her attitude irritating and dismissive.  Lady Parts' songs were "Funny Muslim songs"?  Yes, they are fun and witty, but they do address real things - cultural appropriation, colonialism, social pressures, etc.  It was too bad she got into Saira's head and made her feel Lady Parts has to have a political song on the album.  And

Hide contents

the "serious" song in the next episode isn't much different from the songs they were already putting out.

Completely agree on both fronts.  I was really annoyed by Sister Squire and her punker than thou talk with Saira. 

I suspect, though, part of the reason that it got to Saira so much is that she was already struggling with leaving Taz for the new manager.  Making the album and doing it right would justify that decision.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Oh Billy. The hints were there so I should've known better, but I got suckered by the singing and awkwardness.

The family scenes with Bisma and Ayesha were great. By contrast, it's kind of a bummer to see Saira so isolated.

I agree about Sister Squire, but it was fun to see Meera Syal in the role.

• Like 1
On 5/31/2024 at 1:03 AM, Brn2bwild said:

I know the veteran singer was supposed to serve as a sort of Bob Dylan to the Beatles/Lady Parts, but I found her attitude irritating and dismissive.  Lady Parts' songs were "Funny Muslim songs"?  Yes, they are fun and witty, but they do address real things - cultural appropriation, colonialism, social pressures, etc.  It was too bad she got into Saira's head and made her feel Lady Parts has to have a political song on the album. 

100% agree. Satirists can have fantastic, biting political commentary, and I certainly wouldn't categorize Lady Parts' songs as inconsequential or non-political. I hate it when people automatically equate humor with "not having anything 'real' to say." I liked Bisma pointing out that the very fact of being themselves was political, and I appreciated her standing up for the type of music they write. I also liked the point that they write about their own lives, and "picking an atrocity" from a list felt like capitalizing off of other people's suffering for their own cred.

I understand why Sister Squire's words made Saira spin out, though. Apart from having her art dismissed by her *idol*, she's been very concerned about not selling out, and like @RachelKM said, she's most likely still reeling from what went down with Taz.

When they were posing for a photo with the record label, I loved the moment where Ayesha swatted down Amina's double thumbs-up and then Amina slowly brought one of them back up again. So cute!

• Like 3
  • Applause 1