Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E18: Forest of Giant Trees: 57th Expedition Beyond the Walls, Part 2

The Female Titan continues her deadly trek through the Scouts. Armin and the other recruits realize she's no mere abnormal titan. The scouts themselves are headed directly into a massive forest, causing everyone to question their superiors and orders.

I think this is my favorite episode. Its intense. Jean totally would be executed or discharged in most other armies. He also looks very similar to the one guy with Levi. The Female Titan is the scariest titan. Her kills... *shudder* Having your main weapon (so to speak) turned against you? ...Brrr...

Jean totally would be executed or discharged in most other armies.

Yeah, right up until he started talking about fragging his CO, I was thinking 'OK, he's bitching about everything, but still following orders.' then he took it too far. I also really enjoyed this episode and all of this arc, I had heard about how brutal some of the Female Titan's kills were, but to actually see them, Wow. And I don't know if this is a good thing or bad, but it doesn't seem like they are even trying to hide who the Female Titan is. 

Also, while I'll always prefer the first one, the second opening song is starting to grow on me.

Edited by ZoqFotPik
  • Love 1

Is it wrong that two of the Female Titan's kills made me laugh? First she spun that guy around like someone in a zoot suit twirling their chain, and then she punted that other guy for the longest field goal in history. Especially the second one, where we got that long shot of the scout and his horse flying through the air waaaayy off in the distance.

• Love 4

This was a particularly exciting episode. Even though there was a fair amount of discussion, the fact that it occurred on horseback really kept it moving.

(Can a horse really keep that pace for hours and days? Does the scout regiment actually sleep in the saddle?)

The most exciting thing for me was the almost incidental revelation that Female Titan is not Mikasa. Based on hair and behavior regarding Eren, I was sure it was her, so I guess it's back to the drawing board for that theory.

It is rather difficult to make hints about the identity of the female Titan without being too obvious about the whole thing, so I'll leave it at that.

The Wikipedia entry on the Mongols suggests that it would be possible to maintain a very high average speed if each trooper had three or four horses available as alternate mounts.  So if you assume that the scout force has a larger horse supply than is shown, it could work.

The yo-yo kill is kinda morbid.  The punt kill totally turns into comedy when it's shown in a long shot like that... the only thing missing would be them disappearing into the distance and then a little speck of light.

What a great episode. I’ve said before that sometimes this show feels like it is moving at a snail’s pace, but this was not one of those times. I love the show and I’m in it for the long haul, but I have been enjoying things much more now that we’re focused on the Scouts.

I agree that it is interesting that they aren’t trying to hide who the Female Titan is. I was shaking my head last week, when Armin, after staring right in her face, wondered who she could be.

I wonder if there will be any repercussions from Jean’s outburst. He was probably saying what everyone else was thinking, and I get that he was frustrated and full of adrenaline, but way to take things too far. Maybe all those comments about being leader material have gone to his head.

Female Titan certainly is enjoying herself. It's interesting to see what she decides to react to and how. Dropkicking the guy and his horse? I laughed because it was so unexpected. I should have known better than to expect her to stomp them.

Team Levi’s increasingly shrill requests for orders were chilling. Can’t wait for next week.

I agree that it is interesting that they aren’t trying to hide who the Female Titan is. I was shaking my head last week, when Armin, after staring right in her face, wondered who she could be.

I'm not sure watchers are SUPPOSED to not guess the Female Titan could be. But I can easily see the characters within the show not guessing who the Female Titan is - it wouldn't be the first thing to occur to them. Even Armin. I think that Armin immediately guessing she was a human shifter like Eren based on her intelligence was a smart enough first leap.

I sometimes wonder if the writer ever regrets starting off the remaining human population so low (especially with 20% being killed within the first few episodes). The way the Titans and the Female Titan in particular rolls through the Scouting regiment within the first day of the mission its a wonder that they have any recruits/reinforcements.

Also the remarks on/sudden appearance of Krista would make more sense if they actually spent more time on the character. 

Edited by Mr. Simpatico

I sometimes wonder if the writer ever regrets starting off the remaining human population so low (especially with 20% being killed within the first few episodes). The way the Titans and the Female Titan in particular rolls through the Scouting regiment within the first day of the mission its a wonder that they have any recruits/reinforcements.

Well it takes the Scouts almost 2 years to recoup losses, 105 years behind the walls and 57 expeditions mean an average of 22 months between expeditions. I also think they've done a good job with the overall population numbers too. Wall Rose surrounds an area slightly larger than California and needs to be 100% self sufficient. A million people being supported on that amount of land seems low, but not unreasonably so.

Also the remarks on/sudden appearance of Krista would make more sense if they actually spent more time on the character.

Spoilering this just in case:

I think showed Krista simply so she could be ruled out as the Female Titan. The same as Mikasa and Ymir

Attack on Titan: Cruel to Humans, Cruel to Horses

The horses are especially bred for the Scouts, and the Scouts aren't used to losing them like this, since "normal" titans don't attack animals. I've always wondered how long it would take to replace the horses.

I'm impressed with all of the non-Female-Titan hints I'm catching on second watch. I appreciate how all of this was planned from the beginning (or close to the beginning).

I'm not sure watchers are SUPPOSED to not guess the Female Titan could be. But I can easily see the characters within the show not guessing who the Female Titan is - it wouldn't be the first thing to occur to them.

Yeah, that's my one quibble with this arc. There are other titan-related things that bother me, but I won't get spoilery. I'm not sure how much the show wants the audience to know at this point vs. what we should be figuring out along with the characters. (I think there's one moment coming up when the show thinks the audience is intended to get the aha!) I will say that, however we're supposed to figure out who's who, the show/manga doesn't have any ass pulls. There are great breadcrumbs to follow, both subtle and not-so-subtle, starting with the first arc. The reveal is satisfying, even when it's obvious.

Team Levi’s increasingly shrill requests for orders were chilling. Can’t wait for next week.

I also appreciate that these are hardened veterans who are scared and not putting on fronts. They have an unpredictable, intelligent enemy--the likes of which they've never seen before, and they realize their captain is in the dark, too.

• Love 1

The horses are especially bred for the Scouts, and the Scouts aren't used to losing them like this, since "normal" titans don't attack animals. I've always wondered how long it would take to replace the horses.

Their horses would seem to need the qualities of a thoroughbred and cavalry horse. After a bit of research, thoroughbreds start racing at age 3, are considered peak at 5, and are over the hill at 10. Cavalry horses started at around age 5 and would be retired also around age 10. So probably it would take 3-4 years of training and they would be useful in the field another 3-4 years.