Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E07: On the Ropes

• Start Topic

Jamie works to bust a group of scammers who use artificial intelligence to defraud the elderly.

Also, Danny and Baez investigate a series of mysterious deaths at a hospital.

Anthony is determined to take down an attorney who exploits the law for his own financial gain.

Frank disapproves when he learns Gormley is planning to face off against fellow officers in a “smoker” boxing match.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

(edited)

All the bad guys got their comeuppance, according to BB formula, and Frank got to play Ward Cleaver. One thing though, when I was a child, my parents periodically attended “smokers”. A sort of social gathering where there were drinks, food, card playing (gambling-poker, black jack). Usually these parties were organized to raise money for various charities/community benefits. Never heard of any boxing, and the venues wouldn’t support a ring.

Forgot to add: sometimes these were men only. If women were included they were called “mixed smokers”.

Edited by Daff
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2

I like the cases investigated by Danny and Jamie. But the “angel of death” case feels rushed and the AI case is underdeveloped.

For a second I thought the footage of Timmons being attacked is a deepfake too. Anthony saying he hasn’t been that thin since 7th grade is hilarious! 😂

One the surface, Frank’s case feels silly but it has been wrapped up in a smart way. A bit manipulative though. It’s too bad the writers didn’t include Garrett and his witty one-liners in this conflict.

• Like 3
(edited)

Agree, and the AI case involved really scary people.  So did they really pursue it in a safe way? 

There are a few people who have been filing those disability rights lawsuits and making bank off them, but they have managed to employ real disabled plaintiffs (incidentally, I don't think a shoe repair shop is required to have a public bathroom).  What they do is borderline skeevy, but it passes the smell test.  They really skewed things by showing that the lawyer stole identities. I suppose business owners should start buying insurance for these types of cases. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

One the surface, Frank’s case feels silly but it has been wrapped up in a smart way. A bit manipulative though. It’s too bad the writers didn’t include Garrett and his witty one-liners in this conflict.

My guess is that Garret had nothing to contribute or felt there would be nothing to gain. This is an internal manner/matter and there wasn't really a public facing element for him to weigh in on, especially since after all these years he must be sick of hearing versions of "you're not a cop, you've never been a cop, so you wouldn't understand," and decided to skip it for once. 

Overall, I liked the episode. I liked Jamie's storyline.

I was surprised that Henry had not participated in the smoker fight. It made sense that Jamie wouldn't have participated, because it's not really his style, but it still would have been fun to find out he won once as a rookie or early in his career.  

• Like 4

I liked Jamie’s story and wish it didn’t wrap up in this episode. It accurately reflected what’s happening IRL and could easily have been a multi episode arc. I knew the minute the captain got a call from Jamie that it wasn’t really him. It also would have been nice to have a throwaway line from Henry about their neighbor (played by Erika Slezak) being scammed a few years ago. 

• Like 5
On 4/27/2024 at 2:52 PM, EtheltoTillie said:

There are a few people who have been filing those disability rights lawsuits and making bank off them, but they have managed to employ real disabled plaintiffs (incidentally, I don't think a shoe repair shop is required to have a public bathroom).  What they do is borderline skeevy, but it passes the smell test.  They really skewed things by showing that the lawyer stole identities. I suppose business owners should start buying insurance for these types of cases. 

I've been (indirectly) involved in one of these suits, so I learned a lot about them. There are lawyers who specialize in this sort of kinda-scam, but they would never, NEVER do it fraudulently. It's way too easy to find or create a legit case. No lawyer would risk their livelihood by using fakes and stolen identities. Having said this, I'm sure there are a few crooks out there, but they're truly idiots, considering how easy it is to make a legit case.

There are exceptions in the ADA laws for many small businesses, usually under 15 employees. They don't have to provide the same level of assistance as larger companies. And as you point out, most businesses don't have to have public bathrooms. Also, they said something about rear exit I think. ADA can usually be satisfied with a single handicap access entrance.

None of it made sense, including beating the lawyer, then hanging himself. But it's a typical BB story line.

• Like 1

Did AI informant get his immunity deal or not? Since he gave up the info with no deal in place, I’m assuming no. But if they were willing to give a deal for the same info before, seems any good lawyer could get the sentence overturned. (And shouldn’t he have had a lawyer at the paper signing anyway?) Either way, I have no sympathy for the guy. 

• Like 1