Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E08: Family Man

• Start Topic

(edited)

The SWAT team faces off with a family of doomsday preppers barricaded inside their fortress of a home, and Deacon finds himself at the center of the storm. Also, Tan clashes with a reporter covering the situation and Powell grapples with meeting the child she gave up for adoption 18 years ago, on S.W.A.T., Friday, April 12 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network, and streaming on Paramount+

Edited by DanaK

letter-d.jpg.f64635bf4c444b5f6f8d88b4b16d9244.jpg

I'll admit, now that I know this show is coming back for S8- which I never imagined would be possible- it's hard to really grade these episodes, which were constructed under one context (with the show ending after this season) but must now operate under the new context.

I mean, it's possible that S8 may be a "soft" reboot of the series with Hondo, Tan and a whole new cast. Which I'm not sure I'm looking forward to considering how terrible the show has been at developing other characters outside of the initial lineup, but that's the potential reality that I am facing.

So let me tell you I'm not looking forward to, at all, Deacon's tentative retirement. If this was the final season, I could get behind Deacon wanting to retire, because the show was ending anyway.

Now, with S8 on the horizon, I selfishly want Deacon back next season. Losing both Luca and Street was quite the blow, but losing Deacon too would be even worse.

The show is already a pretty bad mess with a bland, boring group of characters. It need not get worse.

As for the case itself, Adam Baldwin was fun to watch and I did like that the team had to have a bit of a strategy involved in conducting a proper breach, and the twists and turns felt somewhat natural.

Otherwise, it was a large groaner. I'll never get Hollywood's obsession with making characters like the doomsday people into anything other than completely unsympathetic, cartoon-like criminals, because they keep going to that well and, frankly, it's overdone and boring at this point.

The Branch Davidians were around 30 years ago, Hollywood...time to come up with a new plot.

Oh, and I guess I should say something about Powell seeing her son for the first time.

OK, that's it. This felt like a nice storyline when I knew the show was ending. Now that the show is continuing and I actually need a reason to care about Powell and anyone else sticking around...well, this son storyline isn't going to cut it.

The show needs to do better, far better, if they want me to care in S8.

It's been renewed? Wow, did not expect that!

I have a much easier grading scale. I usually enjoy watching this, and generally consider it above average. It'll be interesting to see how the show keeps going, with so many of the cast regulars moving on/retiring, etc.

2 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

It's been renewed? Wow, did not expect that!

This might belong in the "SWAT in the media" thread, but bear with me.  I wonder if it keeps getting renewed because CBS doesn't have anything better to replace it with i. e. a dearth of pilots)

• Like 1

“Deacon will come through. He always does.”

💪🏼💪🏼💪🏼

Hey SWAT writers, stop forcing Deacon to retire. He deserves to run his own squad. Gosh, I really dislike Annie for floating this retirement idea to Deac in the first place and blabbing her mouth to Nichelle.

Tan and his new friendship with Olivia, it’s lovely. So much better than “Tabrera”. 🙄

• Like 1

Wait.  This show is limping - gasping - to the finish line, and it’s coming back?

So now I’m going to have to pretend that I give a shit about Zoe meeting her birth baby?  No sir.

• Like 2