Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: What A Day This Has Been

• Start Topic

(edited)

Synopsis:

Season Finale.

Christian’s major decision puts his first fashion show in danger.

As Coco confronts her partners, Spatz threatens her freedom.

Airdate: April 03, 2024

Edited by Snazzy Daisy
(edited)

I liked the final episode a lot. More action, less moody navel-gazing. The "will he finish the collection" drama was meaningless in that we know he had a triumphant show. I did enjoy learning about the model and seamstress-stealing.

I'd read books about Coco, but this show reminded me - my gawd she was a nasty piece of work. Would she have starved if she didn't collaborate with the Nazis? I guess she was determined to live in luxury throughout WWII instead of settling for less.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

Finally some gorgeous clothes!!! I liked how all the employees wore lab coats, I was reminded of Phantom Thread.

Question: the fashion industry is very gendered. So what’s a male seamstress? A tailor is something different.

I’ve always considered Coco Channel as the person who helped revolutionize fashion, liberating women from the restrictive dresses that were worn at the turn of the 20th Century. Here she is doing…something else. That said, I can’t be too judgemental of what anybody might have done to survive the Nazi occupation.

Edited by marinw

This was without a doubt the best episode of the series. This is what I expected from the entire show: a behind-the-scenes look at fashion.  But it left so many threads hanging (pun not intended, but it's a good one).  From the beginning, the show was set up as a duel between Dior and Chanel in 1955, but we never go back to 1955.  Chanel is arrested in Switzerland for being a Nazi, but obviously nothing serious comes of that because in 1955 the students at the Sorbonne aren't even aware of that.  

A couple of facts about Chanel I got from Wiki:  1) the deal she re-negotiated with the Wertheimers did make her the richest woman in the world, and 2) when she closed her couture house during the Nazi occupation she put about 4,000 people, mostly women, out of work. 

• Useful 2

The standout performers for this series are Claes Bang and Emily Mortimer. Sorry Juliette Binoche!

I still think there's not enough fashion in Dior's storyline. Even in the finale, we only see the fashion bits in the last 20 minutes.

This is me watching The New Look collection debut and seeing Catherine shows up for her brother...

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Finally we got to see some fashion, and some fashion insider / history.  I don't know why I had expected more of that and less of the ... other stuff?  I don't know.  I certainly didn't expect all that stuff about Coco Chanel - whose story actually got more screen time?   I did find Catherine's story fascinating and moving. 

Also fun was Glen Close playing her 'Devil Wears Prada' character's precursor.  

Note to showrunners - next time more of whatever the title of the show is about, and if you're going to make a show about a famous fashion person .. maybe show some fashion?  Would have liked a lot more of what was in the last episode and / or showing more of the creative process.  

• Like 3