Type keyword(s) to search

We Were the Lucky Ones - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Am I the only one who found the site review from Claire Lustig Sherman on the home page weirdly anti-Semitic? I haven’t watched the show yet, but read the book. The daughters walked across Russia to get to safety. Hard to ask them to check their privilege. 

• Like 1

I read the book but was still confused.  They didn't introduce the characters very well and I had to keep asking myself, who is that again?  I imagine it might turn off some viewers if they can't relate to any of the characters.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

I read the book but was still confused.  They didn't introduce the characters very well and I had to keep asking myself, who is that again?  I imagine it might turn off some viewers if they can't relate to any of the characters.

I didn’t read the book and you’re right, aside from Halina and Addy I don’t know the characters very well and was confused who was who and how they were related. 
I will continue watching because it’s a very compelling story. 

On 3/23/2024 at 6:59 AM, Heathrowe said:

Am I the only one who found the site review from Claire Lustig Sherman on the home page weirdly anti-Semitic? I haven’t watched the show yet, but read the book. The daughters walked across Russia to get to safety. Hard to ask them to check their privilege. 

I felt something akin to that as well, but my major impression was that she came across as very judgmental about the fact that because they had money ('privilege'), that their suffering was somehow diminished. If you were a Jew in Europe during WWII, in the long run, that insured nothing. 

I didn't read the book and knew nothing of this going in, but so far, in as much as a story like this can be enjoyable, I think it's well done. 

• Like 3

I have read the book. I am actually childhood horseback riding friends with the author. She did so much research on this project, I'm glad to see her as an executive producer. 

Once I got over Joey King's accent, I was all in. 

• Like 3

Episode 4  was absolutely terrifying! The end. Having to dig your own baby’s grave. I had nightmares that night. I can’t wait for the next episode. 

• Sad 2
On 3/23/2024 at 7:59 AM, Heathrowe said:

Yeah it was kind of gross actually especially when you consider that the stereotype that all Jews have money is half the reason they were targeted by the Nazis on the first place. Also the Kurcs don't seem all that rich to me. They are solidly middle class but they live in an apartment not a mansion. I think the reviewer might have been confused by the crystal and college educations which are now more of a rich person thing but back then were just standard requirements for middle class people especially in Europe. Also the story about keeping the older kids alive on scraps during WW1 makes me think it more that the family built up their business from not much and made it successful. In any case calling Holocaust victims privileged is a bit ridiculous. The characters are going through what is one of histories worst atrocities money alone never saved anyone from the Nazis. 

The first Passover scene broke my heart a bit. It would have been the last one happy for so many families. It helps hit home that the Nazis destroyed not just people but a way of life.

I do like that this is a bit of different story and it's not a torturous slog through Auschwitz. (There have been a bit of glut of those stories in the last few years and some of them felt explotive and dubiously historical. ) I like that this story is pointing out that the Soviets were often not so much liberators as they were less bad oppressors than the Nazis. 

I also like that the cast is almost all Jewish actors.  There is something missing often in stories that cast actors who don't have a full understanding of the culture and history. 

• Like 5

I am liking this more and more as it goes on. Of course, I have read the book and I know the author, so maybe I am a bit biased. I just think it's been well done, and the actors are really starting to hit their stride. 

• Like 3

I just finished the series and am a blubbering mess! This was so well done and stuck to the book pretty well. So happy this beautiful family made it against the odds. 

• Love 2
On 5/2/2024 at 7:28 PM, Straycat80 said:

I just finished the series and am a blubbering mess! This was so well done and stuck to the book pretty well. So happy this beautiful family made it against the odds. 

I agree. I cried my eyes out too. The reunions and the photos at the end?  Pass the Kleenex!  Very well done. (And I could finally tell who was who and married to who.)

• Like 2