Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E06: Dr Phil, Tim Ryan, Batya Ungar-Sargon

• Start Topic

This BUS chick asking are we better off than 4 years ago but says are we better off than 2018.

4 years ago was 2020, first year of the pandemic, with MASSIVE job losses, because Trump bungled the response to covid.

But sure let's compare to 2018.

Way more new jobs created in the last 4 years than under Trump's first 3 years, before the pandemic.

Unemployment rate under 4%.  Unemployment rate wasn't that low back then.

My savings and brokerage balances are at all-time highs.  So should everyone else who has any kind of retirement savings like 401k and IRA, including this BUS person.

As bill noted, US has recovered way better economically than the other "big boy" nations or the G8.

Yes inflation has been bad the past 2-3 years but that was a GLOBAL problem and even there, we're doing much better driving down inflation than just about every other nation.

BTW, the immigration "problem" is a fraud, amped up by Russian disinformation.  In fact the CBO estimates that half of the economic growth in 2023 was due to immigrant workers, filling jobs that American workers were unable or unwilling to take on.  That's all immigrant workers, both legally immigrated and undocumented workers.

As Tim Ryan noted, a Republican senator wrote a new immigration bill which passed in the Senate with several Republican votes but the House refuses to take it up because Trump ordered the Speaker not to, so that he can use it as a political issue.

Yeah Putin wants Trump to win because Trump will cut off Ukraine support, you know, the country that Putin invaded?

• Like 6
  • Fire 1

This BUS chick asking are we better off than 4 years ago but says are we better off than 2018.

Ugh, she was insufferable. Another one of those big mouths who add nothing to the conversation, that Bill loves to have on, for some reason. She asked a couple of times if we're better off than 2020. Bill said the obvious, there was a pandemic in 2020. So she's like, ok then, are you better off than 2018? Come on, honey, how many different years are you going to pull out of your butt to make your point, whatever that is? Ugh. 

Dr. Phil was more entertaining than expected. 

Dr.Phil was as insufferable as ever, but he must have hired some comedy writers to come up with snappy retorts to Bill. He was slinging the one liners like a Catskills comic.

• Like 2

Not the best episode.  Dr. Phil comes across as and old fuddy duddy, insufferable indeed.  The new rules state of the union was pretty bad.  And Batya kept asking if we are better off than we were in 2018.  She is assuming that everyone should accept the premise that whoever happens to be president at the time is responsible for all economic factors.  If anything the Obama administration should get credit for the economy in 2018.  And no, Biden is not responsible for inflation. I really wish Bill or Tim Ryan would push back on this idea. And yes, Batya, voters who vote for Trump are stupid and voting against their interests.

• Like 1
(edited)

Who cares if Trump likes gays, he appointed scotus judges that do not , the gop party does not, and Trump will do nothing when those two take away gay rights.  He is really nothing but a popular figurehead for the base to be entertained by while the extremists roll us back a hundred years or more.

Dr Phil, people do not need church as an excuse to get together with their family.  Families can still schedule a day during the week to eat meal together.

I am better than 2018, where I was worse than in 2016 because my taxes were raised in 2017.  But now my wages have increased and I get to work from home half the week.  So I don’t think that argument will work for all that many.  

Edited by Hanahope
  • Like 2