Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: 80 Degrees And Palm Trees

• Start Topic

The 13 remaining chefs channel their vacation vibes when they're tasked with preparing a next-level seafood dish inspired by tropical island cuisine. The winning dish gives the entire team immunity and claims the top-level kitchen for the next challenge in the all-new "80 Degrees and Palm Trees" episode of Next Level Chef airing Thursday, February 29 (8:00-9:02 PM ET/PT) on FOX.

Gordon picking Jordan over Wendy didn’t really make sense to me.  The worst dish should go into the elimination challenge, not someone you think can beat the other person.  I wonder if he would have picked Jordan if he didn’t have the immunity pin.

It was nice to see Wendy smile at the end. I don’t quite know what it was but, even in previous episodes, it always looked like she was pouting and ready to cry.

This has been bothering me for awhile, but the occasional closeups of stuff in this episode, the basement kitchen looks unsanitary and unsafe. I don’t understand why they want to make it that bad. They could have just made it very basic and lacking supplies compared to the other kitchens. At least they didn’t stick bugs in there, as far as I know

• Like 2
9 hours ago, KeithJ said:

Gordon picking Jordan over Wendy didn’t really make sense to me.  The worst dish should go into the elimination challenge, not someone you think can beat the other person.  I wonder if he would have picked Jordan if he didn’t have the immunity pin.

It was nice to see Wendy smile at the end. I don’t quite know what it was but, even in previous episodes, it always looked like she was pouting and ready to cry.

That was done at least once before in a previous  season as a strategic play.  But I agree.  I don’t like it.     This time, it was almost like Gordon was trying to get the guy to burn his immunity pin.

• Like 2

I really disliked how partisan the mentors got.  Nyesha pushing for Von's tuna and Richard pushing for Zack's lobster to be named best dish.  Obviously Gordon sided with Nyesha.  The jerk tuna was way more creative than that lobster, and it came from the basement.

My favourites are Von, Izayah and Nicole.  My least favourites are Jordan ("let's go baaabeee" too many times), Zack (did you know he lives in Hawaii???) and Greek Girl.

On 2/29/2024 at 8:06 PM, KeithJ said:

It doesn't seem right.  The person who performed the worst should go into the elimination cook.  Not a person who is great that the mentor thinks is way better than the other one.  Maybe he meant to send Jordan a message to be careful of "regurgitated baby food".  But I agree that if Jordan hadn't had immunity he probably wouldn't have been picked.  The clear disaster from that group was Wendy and she absolutely deserved to be picked outright.

This makes me even more irrtated at Nyesha last week that she didn't pick Greek Girl for the elimination because of her undercooked fish, and make her burn her immunity.  It particularly annoys me that she still has immunity because Greek Girl isn't even the best on her team.  Von is far better than her.

On 2/29/2024 at 8:17 PM, DanaK said:

This has been bothering me for awhile, but the occasional closeups of stuff in this episode, the basement kitchen looks unsanitary and unsafe. I don’t understand why they want to make it that bad. They could have just made it very basic and lacking supplies compared to the other kitchens. At least they didn’t stick bugs in there, as far as I know

I don't recall the basement being showcased as being this bad in the previous two seasons.  This season there seems to be a lot more emphasis on showing us viewers that the utensils and pots etc are really bad.  A colander with holes in it, a box grater that is bent.  I get that it's the basement but they should at least have items that work.  Instead of a whisk, they have a wooden spoon.  Instead of a double boiler. they have to make do with a pot and another pot.

On 2/29/2024 at 8:06 PM, KeithJ said:

I'm glad we finally lost her.  I have to wonder how she thinks she came across in this show.  Good thing she is a home cook with no job or online reputation to protect.  Because she truly came across as terrible on this show.  Weepy Wendy is what I called her.  She was constantly shown with Ugly Cry Face and seemed on the verge of crying every single time.  Maybe the studio lights were too bright for her or something because it wasn't a good look.

So far, three episodes, and one chef eliminated from each team.  Is the fix in again this season?

• Like 3

From what I recall, mentors typically do send the chef with the worst dish into the elimination as a chance to save themselves. Gordon clearly was playing strategy instead by suggesting Jordan. Keep the numbers, stay out of the basement. And possibly testing Jordan. I think Jordan would have won against Angela. I wonder if not being a “team” player will cost him soon? Especially since Gordon asked him if he felt bad that Wendy lost. Wendy was absolutely in over her head.

I  also don’t recall the basement tools being so decrepit in the past. They didn’t have top notch equipment, but this season it looks like they got everything from the fire sale of the Cutthroat Kitchen sabotage closet. 

• Like 2

Sunday at 12:21 AM

From what I recall, mentors typically do send the chef with the worst dish into the elimination as a chance to save themselves. Gordon clearly was playing strategy instead by suggesting Jordan. Keep the numbers, stay out of the basement. And possibly testing Jordan. I think Jordan would have won against Angela. I wonder if not being a “team” player will cost him soon? Especially since Gordon asked him if he felt bad that Wendy lost. Wendy was absolutely in over her head.

I really thought Jordon would have stepped up and did the challenge because he seems to have quite the ego.  So, it was surprising Jordan declined and played it safe.  Apparently, he has a big ego but a lot of confidence?  

Agree that Wendy needed to go.

• Like 1

Which one pushed Wendy should have been eliminated on the spot. Angela? 

Not acceptable to push anyone. 

Dude from Hawaii, Zack? What’s on his head? It looks filthy.