Type keyword(s) to search

S19: Betsey Johnson: 80s Fashion Icon

• Start Topic

Known for her over-the-top celebration of the exuberant and the embellished, Betsey has been rocking the fashion industry with her unique and original designs since the 1960’s. Her commitment to remain true to her one-of-a-kind vision has afforded Betsey continued success in an industry known for its fickleness. Her ability to change with the times while keeping her designs pure has not gone unnoticed.

Betsey was born in Connecticut and spent her childhood in dance classes. Her aspirations to be a dancer and her love for costumes laid the foundation for Betsey's creativity and inspiration, which is still evident in her designs today. In 1964, Betsey entered the New York fashion scene by winning Mademoiselle magazine’s “Guest Editor Contest.” One year later, she landed the top designer position for Paraphernalia, a clothing boutique that at the time housed the hottest young British designers.

Betsey Johnson, both the woman and the label, is constantly moving forward and continues to keep a strong foothold in the fashion industry with no signs of letting up anytime soon. Her love of detail and design is evident in everything she does in life and in business. Her enthusiasm, creativity and boundless talent that have kept her at the forefront of fashion for the past 45 years will keep Betsey going for years to come.

Dancing with Tony Dovolani.

I can't believe she is 72 now! Her fan kick was great so she definitely has flexibility. She is too loosey goosey so Tony will have to get her to control her movements but she is so fun that I hope she sticks around for a few weeks. I know she was bummed about the boa getting stuck but at least it happened at the end and she didn't get all pissy about it (LOLO).

• Love 2

I feel kiiinda bad for Betsey. At 72, she's four years younger than Tommy Chong, but he seems much more mentally "with it" than she does...which is odd considering his lifetime involvement with copious quantities of illicit substances.  Betsey appears to be more fit, agile and flexible than Tommy, but she seems a bit addled to me.  Maybe she's always been that way, or maybe it's a product of her particular aging process.  Anyway, I'm glad she didn't get cut yet because she does deserve another chance.  Plus,  she's a lot more pleasant than Lolo.  OMG.

I know we're not getting close-ups, but she has great legs!

I was thinking this last night.  I want those legs!  She does have problems with pointing her toes, as one of the judges pointed out, but I sure am enjoying her enjoying being on the show.  Go Betsy!

• Love 1