Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Just You Wait and See

• Start Topic

Cristóbal Balenciaga and Pierre Balmain have moral compass. Coco Chanel is a Nazi sympathizer. Christian Dior continues to design dresses for the enemies because he needs to provide for his family.

Coco being so self-centered is such a turn-off. Why is she letting Spatz acting like her handler? They only know each other for 2 minutes.

Catherine is part of the French Resistance but she has no problem using Christian’s “tainted” money.

Christian:    
“You are my responsibility, Catherine.”

Catherine:    
“Why? Because you promised mother you would take care of me?”

These lines are obviously redundant to a flashback scene between young Christian, his mom and baby Catherine. 

The age difference between Ben Mendelsohn and Maisie Williams is very distracting. She’s more like his daughter than a sibling. Christian is supposed to be 12 years older than Catherine. 😣

• Like 1
(edited)

Just imagining Maisie Williams being told by her agent about this new series about Dior and Chanel and post-war French fashion and couture:

Maisie: "This show sounds great! Would be a relief to get away from all that torture and rape and violence in Game of Thrones..."

[Reads first page of The New Look script.]

Maisie, grumbling: "Seven hells..."

Edited by Penman61
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
16 hours ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

Catherine is part of the French Resistance but she has no problem using Christian’s “tainted” money.

She actually did have a problem. She told him to give it back, but Christian pointed out it was how he basically gave her money to fund all her resistance activities.

• Like 2

Interesting start to the show, very curious to see what direction this goes in. War time drama? Bio pic? Darkly inspiring story about finding creativity in dark times? Spy thriller? 

• Like 2

I love Ben Mendelsohn, so I'm in! I agree that the age difference between Mendelsohn & Maisie Williams is really distracting. I'm willing to suspend disbelief because I like the actors, and the story is interesting.

I'm guessing this story is going to explore the grey areas people wind up getting into when survival is paramount. Having a moral compass is something of a luxury, and there are probably varying degrees of complicity. Coco Chanel definitely appears to be at the self-serving end of the spectrum.

I admit I giggled when Monsieur Dior stumbled out of a bar in the middle of the night with his friend: "I've got to go. I have to go make a fucking ball-gown"

The 1950's gowns featured in the opening sequence at the Sorbonne were breath-taking!

• Like 1
  • Love 1