Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Episode 5

• Start Topic

Spade gets more than he bargained for when he questions his eccentric neighbors and learns more about the boy’s mysterious abilities. Teresa continues her investigation alone. Jean-Pierre faces his past and confronts Philippe.

Premiere Date: February 11, 2024     Acorn TV/AMC+/AMC at 9pm  

We finally know who Philippe really is - a cold and calculated hunter.

So, the nosy neighbors are in fact the MI6 spies. I don’t know how these two got hired because they suck. They’re spying on Teresa, hoping that she’ll lead them to Philippe then to Zayd. Apparently Zayd is a gifted child who can crack any code and also a potential Mahdi. The church wants him because he can prove the existence of god, mathematically.

Zayd was kidnapped by his nanny, Gazala - Angelique’s sister. Philippe and Gazala are in this together. Only Gazala can authenticate Zayd’s identity. They don’t need him to crack codes, just to smuggle and sell him to the highest bidder. Gazala can do this on her own, she doesn’t need Philippe. She should get rid of him.

Overall, I still think this plot re Zayd lacks thrill and suspense. We only know about his backstory because we’ve been told by two incompetent spies. It doesn’t feel earned. The mystery surrounding the murder of the nuns is more interesting but it has been glossed over so quickly. The monk is the murderer - the end.

Marguerite speculates about Teresa’s real paternity, suggesting that she is Sam’s daughter and Brigid could have falsified her birth certificate. She insists that Teresa does look a bit older than her age. Deep down, Sam can feel it too but he isn’t willing to admit it, yet.

The show wants us to care about Jean-Pierre, hence the detailed backstory. Do I care? Nope. He is overwhelmed by his decision of handing over Zayd to a bad guy. His effort to undo it has led to his demise. But wait, is he really dead? 🤨

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Thank you for that.  Although this show is fascinating to me, it's really hard to follow at times as it has more characters than an alphabet.  

For anyone who is wondering, the FLN were the rebel organization in Algeria during its war of independence from France.  The OAS was the Secret Army Organization (in French) that were working against France's attempts to settle the Algerian War.  Don't ask me how you go about recruiting for your group "The Secret Army Organization".  Maybe it's a French thing.

Will that murder of the nuns come back around in the storyline somehow, maybe?

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
On 2/12/2024 at 7:37 PM, Dowel Jones said:

Will that murder of the nuns come back around in the storyline somehow, maybe?

It's been resolved, right?  The nuns, along with Angelique, who was posing as a nun, was hiding the boy.  The monk killed the nuns hoping to get information about the boy.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1