Type keyword(s) to search

The Honeymooners General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm glad this thread was set up.  There's got to be a lot of Honeymooners fans like me out there. 

Tonight's episode (on MeTV) was the $99,000 Answer, where a very nervous Ralph is asked what he does for a living:

Ralph:  I brive a dus.

Emcee:  You brive a dus?

Ralph:  I dus a brive.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 2

Mr. Gleason KNEW what was funny and what wasn't! For instance, despite Ralph and Alice one time considering adoption, he made sure that both couples were childless because 'adults struggling was funny but kids struggling was NOT' [and he knew that firsthand].

Also, when he did the sketches in the mid 1960's and had Sheila MacRae playing Alice, during rehearsal he noticed her tearing up and asked her what was up. She replied 'This Alice cries.'

Without missing a beat, he declared 'Not on MY show. If you cry, everyone'll hate me!'

And from that point Mrs. MacRae stayed as stoic as Miss Meadows had been during his bluster!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

As a kid watching that show, I was always a bit afraid of Ralph Kramden (all that yelling). But I loved it when Ed and Trixie showed up, especially Ed and his stories about working in the sewers. 

• Like 1

One interesting 'behind the scenes' fact is that, contrary to most pre-1970 performers [including Art Carney and the recently deceased Joyce Randolph], Audrey Meadows DID get paid royalties for the series' reruns the rest of her life.

That's because, in addition to her and her elder sister Jayne being performers, her missionary parents [with the surname of Cotter- not Meadows] had made sure that both their sons had become lawyers and the brother, in turn, were happy to use their skills make sure that the  exec producer and star  Mr. Gleason didn't nickle-and-dime their baby sister!

BTW, although she spent most of her preteen life in [of all places] Wuhan, China, before the family permanently relocated back to the United States, Miss Meadows had been the only one of the four  offspring to have been born in New York City instead of China!

• Useful 1