Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E16: Reunion Part 1

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 1/12/2024 at 12:55 AM, dancingdreamer said:

I think  Shep is probably  a nicer person off screen,  he needs to finish his relationship with alchohol,  because  he'll never be truly happy.

He's a classic mean drunk, which is probably why most of the cast members are fed up with him. 

I knew Austen was tall but had no idea he is 6'5! 

The situation Taylor tried to imply was the same is actually anything but. Olivia and Thomas hooked up nearly 10 years ago. She'd just graduated from college , she's now 31). She didn't even meet Kathryn until years later.

It was said quickly so maybe everyone didn't hear it, but Taylor said Olivia told her the hook-up with Tom was five years ago after baby number 2. That would be a diffierent scenario. But given Taylor's a known liar, who knows if it's true. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Like 1
(edited)
On 1/13/2024 at 12:07 AM, MrBuhBye said:

It takes a lot more beer than shots though.  You would have to be trying to get blackout to drink that much beer.  

You can blackout on beer and wine just like you can on liquor. It doesn't take that much beer either and it goes down easier for a lot of drinkers than hard liquor. 

According to this, Taylor is 28. Surprised by Leva's age. She doesn't look any older than Madison to me. 

'Southern Charm' Cast Ages — Here's What We Know (distractify.com)

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Like 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Sweet-tea said:

You can blackout on beer and wine just like you can on liquor. It doesn't take that much beer either and it goes down easier for a lot of drinkers than hard liquor. 

According to this, Taylor is 28. Surprised by Leva's age. She doesn't look any older than Madison to me. 

I know many people who could drink 10 or 12 beers over the course of an evening and not black out.  Don’t know anyone who could drink 10 or 12 shots and not black out.  

From a study:

During the night of their most recent blackout, most students drank either liquor alone or in combination with beer. Only 1 student out of 50 reported that the most recent blackout occurred after drinking beer alone. 

Edited by MrBuhBye
2 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

I know many people who could drink 10 or 12 beers over the course of an evening and not black out.  Don’t know anyone who could drink 10 or 12 shots and not black out.  

From a study:

During the night of their most recent blackout, most students drank either liquor alone or in combination with beer. Only 1 student out of 50 reported that the most recent blackout occurred after drinking beer alone. 

I wonder if the point being made is that Shep has a very troubling alcohol abuse problem, contributed to by his dilettante lifestyle. So I believe that what is being stated is that when one has such an alcohol problem, one has to address ALL forms of alcohol. Not just limit one kind. Once one has reached the stage of blacking out often enough, for a weekend, that person must address all alcohol, including beer, as this fuels the slippery slope.

I worry for his recovery due to his self-indulgent party lifestyle. As he does not have to be accountable to a normal job, he enjoys his life going to bars, getting food, seeing friends out, and I think it will be very difficult for him. Now that Whitney has this liquor room, and JT has this speakeasy, I suspect that Shep will have a very challenging road ahead of him in conquering his habits. I wish him well. He needs to do something constructive with his life: writing, traveling and blogging, charity work, there is a lot to contribute in this world, regardless of 'wealth'. It appears that his siblings do work.

3 hours ago, Sweet-tea said:

Completely agree re the alcohol. Shep's approach seems immature. He obviously can't envision not drinking, which is worrying. I believe Taylor's birthday is October 19, 1994, which would make her turning 30 this year.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, lili45 said:

I wonder if the point being made is that Shep has a very troubling alcohol abuse problem, contributed to by his dilettante lifestyle. So I believe that what is being stated is that when one has such an alcohol problem, one has to address ALL forms of alcohol. Not just limit one kind. Once one has reached the stage of blacking out often enough, for a weekend, that person must address all alcohol, including beer, as this fuels the slippery slope.

I worry for his recovery due to his self-indulgent party lifestyle. As he does not have to be accountable to a normal job, he enjoys his life going to bars, getting food, seeing friends out, and I think it will be very difficult for him. Now that Whitney has this liquor room, and JT has this speakeasy, I suspect that Shep will have a very challenging road ahead of him in conquering his habits. I wish him well. He needs to do something constructive with his life: writing, traveling and blogging, charity work, there is a lot to contribute in this world, regardless of 'wealth'. It appears that his siblings do work.

Completely agree re the alcohol. Shep's approach seems immature. He obviously can't envision not drinking, which is worrying. I believe Taylor's birthday is October 19, 1994, which would make her turning 30 this year.

Obviously he needs to give up all alcohol.  But limiting himself to beer is a step in the right direction.  Further alcoholics can die from going cold turkey so weaning off it is a better move unless they are in an inpatient facility which I doubt he would ever agree to.

• Like 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

From a study:

How do you know they weren't in a blackout? It means they can't form new memories. It doesn't mean they are passed out. A person can be awake, walking, talking and appearing to function and still in a blackout. I knew a guy who took a plane trip in a blackout! Woke up the next day not knowing what happened or where he was. Similar to what Shep said about not remembering Bravocon.

I've known plenty of people who only drank beer and yes, they blacked out. Yes it probably takes longer than shots but it can still happen. I question that study. How do those students know exactly when they blacked out? If they did, they had no memory of it. 

Shep is trying to do what many alcoholics do at first. They say they will "cut back" in the hopes of trying to control their drinking. There's a whole section in the BIg Book about it saying at first we decided to drink only on weekends, or only beer or only wine or only on holidays, whatever. What most of them learn if they commit to sobriety is the only option is to give up alcohol entirely. If they could control their drinking, they wouldn't be alcoholics. 

I'm glad Craig is doing better but I don't believe he doesn't drink at all, despite what he said. I saw him drinking during this season. He has cut back but it doesn't look like he's given it up completely. 

I'm inclined to believe that there is more to the Olivia and T-Rav story and she hooked up with him years later than she said. That's why she got so upset when Taylor brought it up IMO. 

Taylor and Oliva are not interesting enough to be the featured female players in this show. They either need to recast or cancel it. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1

How do you know they weren't in a blackout?

Because we talked the next day and they remembered everything.

I question that study.

It was an NIH study lol.

7 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

Obviously he needs to give up all alcohol.  But limiting himself to beer is a step in the right direction.  Further alcoholics can die from going cold turkey so weaning off it is a better move unless they are in an inpatient facility which I doubt he would ever agree to.

If he just has beer, wouldn't  that taste of alcohol,  lead to a shot with the beer. I think  Shep's scared what his body will do without  any alcohol in it. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, dancingdreamer said:

If he just has beer, wouldn't  that taste of alcohol,  lead to a shot with the beer. I think  Shep's scared what his body will do without  any alcohol in it. 

Yeah it’s better to give it up altogether.  Is recreational pot legal there?  Maybe that would be better for him.

• Like 3
(edited)

Shep is the poster boy for what happens when parents coddle their child and allow them to live off 'family money'. It could be said that Whitney is similar in that way, but I think his mom has instilled I'm him to at least go out and do something so he seems to have these projects he's working on. Shep has nothing. He is a waste of human space and contributes nothing to the world around him, he is only about giving in to his base needs regularly. I don't see him giving up drinking at all. Thisnis just a temporary smokescreen to appear like he is bettering himself. But he is an addict and listening to him prattle on about only drinking beer now is just more nonsense but he is so UNself aware that they only one buying his BS is Taylir because she's also full of shit. After watching this season, those two are actually the perfect pairing IMO.

The real question is, can Craig and Austen actually stop communicating with him until ir unless he really stops drinking altogether. I'm doubting they can.

Edited by surfgirl
  • Like 3
On 1/27/2024 at 1:04 PM, Sweet-tea said:

She looks like she's had cheek implants to me. I really noticed it on the reunion show. Something is different about her face and it's not just the shorter hair. 

I don't like Taylor. 

And her face is too square at the lower half since last year which could be from fillers.

• Like 1
On 1/13/2024 at 4:54 AM, ZettaK said:

Yes, Taylor would have married Shep even if he were a cheater. She is that desperate and lame.

Yes, Taylor would have married him, but given this was her first serious love, I can't call her desperate. Although people can make foolish decisions when they're blinded by love.

• Like 1