Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Shadows

You know, other than suffering from cheesy special effects and Season Oneitis, this episode is really not that bad.

I will be glad when M/S have Skinner on their side too, the 'hey everybody let's treat Mulder like crap and not tell him ANYTHING because we think he's a fruitcake' thing is getting a bit old already.  Why even call him in on a case if you're going to withhold information and act put out because he's there?

Aside from the fact that Scully misses all the action fiddling with her seatbelt (because those are tricky) and then being locked out of the office when shit is getting real, it's not a terrible episode.

It had some good quotes. 

"I have a standing in line at the DMV sized headache. Mine's more IRS sized."

"Howard Graves is very dead."

"It's a big bell, with a big crack, and you have to wait in a long line." is my personal favorite.

• Love 1

MULDER:  All you've got to do is prove Howard Graves is still alive.

ELLEN:  Howard Graves is very dead.

I honestly don't know why that's so freaking hilarious to me.  Maybe it's just the completely deadpan way the line is delivered, especially upon the heels of Mulder's conversation with Scully.

Well, I FINALLY watched this episode and geez what a snoozefest.  Honestly, my only takeaways are how gosh darn cute are Mulder and Scully, because I can't even get into the story all that much. 

Glad to see Mulder's glasses were still with us.  How long until they vanish never to be seen again?   And Scully is so cute with her love of horror movies (Carrie and Poltergeist), and we get Mulder's first ever Elvis reference!

And OMG to Scully and her have you seen this person and then showing Lauren the picture of that blob mess.  What is Lauren supposed to say, "Why yes, I do recognize that smeary blob!" 

And poor Scully, she gets this outfit this episode, and Mulder gets to look like a freakin' model.  Really?!?!

tumblr_lv3y2a9DuX1qfv82ao1_500.gif

I loved how Mulder let Scully basically hang herself with her Howard Graves is not dead theory.  And why weren't Mulder and Scully rockin' the FBI jackets during the raid?  I love their FBI jackets! 

And Scully... still hoping for a life in this life.  Good luck with this dork of a partner, Scully. 

• Love 2

What did AAA call it in her recap, The Case of the Blurry Witch Hat?

Because, yeah, for a skeptic - or, you know, an adult with functioning eyes - Scully was ridiculously certain of an indeterminate blob's identity.

I hardly ever watch this episode.  Lisa Waltz will always be "that Hallie Lowenthal person" to me, and I can't stand chirpy Hallie Lowenthal.  And I think this is where the ridiculous shenanigans the scripts got up to in order to avoid Scully seeing what Mulder saw were at their worst. 

If it consisted of "Howard Graves is very dead" (RIP, Lorena Gale) on a 44-minute loop, though, I'd be in.

Edited by Bastet

And OMG to Scully and her have you seen this person and then showing Lauren the picture of that blob mess. What is Lauren supposed to say, "Why yes, I do recognize that smeary blob!"

Hahaha! I've always found this ridiculous as well.

I can accept the locked office door at the end but with being the second time in the episode Scully misses the action it just gets silly. And the malfunctioning seatbelt is the worst thing ever.

I love that Mulder (or is it David) seems to find Lorena's character highly amusing. "Because it said so on the toe-tag."

"Because it said so on the toe tag." is just too funny for words. 

Did they get other pictures of smeary blobs to make a smeary blob line up?  They should have. I mean, if you're going to be ridiculous, you might as well go all in.  I just reminded myself of the alien line up on the Springfield Files, with Chewbacca and Alf and Marvin the Martian, because why not?

Mulder's glasses didn't make too many more appearances after this, and certainly not as a means of obtaining covert fingerprints, although I'm still not sure how he did that without being noticed, other than because the script said so.

• Love 1

Mulder's glasses didn't make too many more appearances after this, and certainly not as a means of obtaining covert fingerprints, although I'm still not sure how he did that without being noticed, other than because the script said so.

I'm gonna 'fess up that I rewatched that scene to see if I could find him getting the prints on the glasses, but no go.

• Love 1

The best part is when the female thug gets her throat crushed. I always have to look away.

And OMG to Scully and her have you seen this person and then showing Lauren the picture of that blob mess.  What is Lauren supposed to say, "Why yes, I do recognize that smeary blob!"

It reminds me of that hilarious picture in The Jersey Devil. A childlike drawing of some vaguely humanoid thing....have you seen it? Yes of course I have, says absolutely no one except Fox Mulder.

Who did the props in season 1?

The best part is when the female thug gets her throat crushed. I always have to look away.

It reminds me of that hilarious picture in The Jersey Devil. A childlike drawing of some vaguely humanoid thing....have you seen it? Yes of course I have, says absolutely no one except Fox Mulder.

Who did the props in season 1?

Oh my goodness, I love Mulder.  Such an overexcited dork.  He's so bright, and usually correct about what is going on, but holy hunches!  

Edited by queequeg
  • Love 1