Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E09: To Have and to Hold

• Start Topic

Nikki learns Justin slept with other women during their relationship. Sophie reveals her big secret. Manuel and Ashley disagree on finances. Devin's family is taken aback by Nick's nickname for her. Citra's father has strict guidelines for her and Sam.

First Look: 12/1/23

Full Episode: 12/3/23

• Like 1

Just as an F.Y.I.:

In Islam, a Muslim man can marry a non-Muslim woman but a Muslim woman cannot marry a non-Muslim man.

So Citra's father's approval or disapproval is irrelevant. 

Citra would have to leave Islam to marry Sam if he refused to convert, but if Citra's faith was that unimportant to her most likely she would have already done so and asking Sam to convert would have never come up. 

• Useful 3

Oh, my, here we go again:

Way to make Searcy, a town about an hour from me, and the whole state of Arkansas, look like where even the rubes and the sticks go to pasture.  I was waiting for "Dueling Banjos" and Ned Beatty to pop out around the corner.  I guess no one in Devin's family has ever gone straight down the highway into an actual (gasp) city with skyscrapers(!) and real honest to God Korean restaurants, including one of my personal favorites.

I don't think Devin actually knows her history, but only about 25% of all Southerners owned slaves, and a very few of those lived like Gone With The Wind in their mansions.  I would bet that many if not most typical Southern soldiers weren't particularly interested in slavery or the politics behind the war, but went off to fight as a matter of defending home and family.  You can find Confederate statues in many such small towns and on the gosh darn Capitol lawn here.   And, btw, White County, Arkansas-named for Hugh Lawson White, congressman from Tennessee in the early 1800's. 

I'm finding it puzzling why Nick thinks all of America is NYC, has such strange attitudes and behaviors, and yet lived in Australia, a very Western country which is certainly not all like Sydney.  He's scarcely more "Westernized" than Jihoon.

I have to FF through Rob and Sophie (my cat's name, btw).  Her head is going to pop like a balloon with all that air in it.  I can't bear it.  I would rather have a Cracker Jack ring and a damn bathroom.  I myself was married with Wal-Mart rings (a long story).

What more can I say about Janice the Muppet-I mean Nikki-that hasn't been already said, and better?  Good gravy on a bicycle.

Haven't we had enough of the trope about ; 1) Devout partner vs. Atheist/believer in UFO's/, or 2) Dad as policeman/ex-soldier who looks like the Green Bay Packers?  Sam reminds me of what's his face, not getting any with his Peruvian girl, with the 30 going on 12 look. I bet Sam isn't getting lucky, either.

• Applause 5
6 hours ago, AR Traveler said:

Oh, my, here we go again:

Way to make Searcy, a town about an hour from me, and the whole state of Arkansas, look like where even the rubes and the sticks go to pasture.  I was waiting for "Dueling Banjos" and Ned Beatty to pop out around the corner.  I guess no one in Devin's family has ever gone straight down the highway into an actual (gasp) city with skyscrapers(!) and real honest to God Korean restaurants, including one of my personal favorites.

I don't know about Searcy, but I'm *extremely* skeptical that there are no other Asians in Memphis.  Maybe in the airport at 3am there are just less people period?

Nick's "all Americans are fat racist rubes" bit is getting old quick with me.   Devin's southern accent seems to vacillate, which makes me wonder if she's drunk or developmentally challenged often.

• Like 6

Nick knows exactly what he's doing calling Devin piggy and grabbing at her waist. She's young, insecure and willing to settle for a rude prick.

Rob gives his friends the 1/2 story then pouts that he got caught. Sophie, your ring budget is $50 tops. Your going to walmart for silver plated bands. 

Ash is willing to go into debt for her 2k "dream" wedding. Nothing will stop her from marrying this man who clearly loathes her. Cheers!

So when Nikki is really pissed and wants the truth she calls him Igor? I'm talking to the real you now! 

Edited by J80134
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, J80134 said:

Nick knows exactly what he's doing calling Devin piggy and grabbing at her waist. She's young, insecure and willing to settle for a rude prick.

Rob gives his friends the 1/2 story then pouts that he got caught. Sophie, your ring budget is $50 tops. Your going to walmart for silver plated bands. 

Ash is willing to go into debt for her 2k "dream" wedding. Nothing will stop her from marrying this man who clearly loathes her. Cheers!

Well she could get just a plain gold wedding band from Walmart if they were in LV & take it back after the ceremony which a lot of people do apparently.

1 hour ago, Shrek said:

Well she could get just a plain gold wedding band from Walmart if they were in LV & take it back after the ceremony which a lot of people do apparently.

Well, the story:  We didn't return our Wal-Mart rings.  What happened was I was packing my apartment to move 180 miles to Mr. Traveler's city and packed the"real" rings by accident.  Mr. Traveler took a load of stuff down to his house, naturally with the rings.

The night before the wedding, at 11:30 PM, I was frantically looking for the rings.  It looked like no ring exchange for us (and we were getting married at 11 AM).  Mr. Traveler got to Wal Mart at 7AM and talked a clerk into opening up the jewelry counter that early.  And so we werre married with those rings.  I bet they didn't cost more than $50 back then.

Naturally, the "real" rings showed up in the very first box I unpacked.  We just couldn't bring ourselves to use them and take off the ones we had been married with, so they went into "keepsakes", and we still have those dang rings.  

The cost of a ring doesn't translate into a happy marriage.

• Like 3
  • Love 4

Thanks, ARTraveler for your observations on the real, vs fictionalized South. How could Devin not know the story of H.L.White, at least enough to reassure Nick that the KKK was not lurking in that building. And his fears about being targeted as a "China/Covid" person were very real, despite being of a different ethic persuasion. Prejudice does not often follow facts or logic. 

As a very young divorced mother I worked as a bartender in an upscale restaurant across the road from my family's farms. One day my Grandpa walked into the bar/lounge wearing his dirt stained biballs and sat down at a table. Before my shocked self could react, one of the kitchen staff came out & brought him coffee & all the fixin's. She sat down with him, called him "Mista' William" and chatted awhile. I asked her how she knew him and she said he was like family...His family used to own her family. That was the day that I learned that my family had been slave owners. 

mind blown...

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1

And I ordered a bottle of Moldovan Asconti wine today. Because the wine guy was so chill. 

BTW, servers, bartenders, etc are supposed to just let idiots like Nikki flow on by....crucify them in the break room later, and pocket the tips.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, AR Traveler said:

Well, the story:  We didn't return our Wal-Mart rings.  What happened was I was packing my apartment to move 180 miles to Mr. Traveler's city and packed the"real" rings by accident.  Mr. Traveler took a load of stuff down to his house, naturally with the rings.

The night before the wedding, at 11:30 PM, I was frantically looking for the rings.  It looked like no ring exchange for us (and we were getting married at 11 AM).  Mr. Traveler got to Wal Mart at 7AM and talked a clerk into opening up the jewelry counter that early.  And so we werre married with those rings.  I bet they didn't cost more than $50 back then.

Naturally, the "real" rings showed up in the very first box I unpacked.  We just couldn't bring ourselves to use them and take off the ones we had been married with, so they went into "keepsakes", and we still have those dang rings.  

The cost of a ring doesn't translate into a happy marriage.

Sorry AR, I wasn't thinking about your comment but my own experience when buying plain weddings bands at a Walmart in Las Vegas after deciding to get married while there for a meeting (LV not WM). The girl at the jewelry counter told us that if we kept the price tag on the rings we could return them after we were married & that many people actually do that.

Fiona still wears her gold ring from the LV Walmart (I lost mine) along with her expensive diamond ring that she had pointed out months before but I was still  saving for when we got married. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I love how as soon as Ashley agreed to send some money home, Manuel was all smiles and gushing in his talking head about how much he loves her. Of course she should have known that it was a package deal and would be expected to do so, but that is the SOLE reason this man is with her.

He isn't in love with her....and I am SO sick of these women who are pushing 40 (how old is she? Maybe younger than 40 but she looks older) that go into debt (at least she is admitting she will be in debt for it) for their dream wedding day. Edited to add: it is not such a dream day later when you get divorced and now have debt plus the pics to remind you of your mistake/failure. Cause we all know this one won't last.

Maybe focus on the marriage and not one damn day. It was very telling that she said as soon as he proposed she started to plan the wedding. He wants a green card and a ticket to a better life for his kids, she wants a dream wedding. 

Nikki continues to disgust me in her treatment of Igor. 

Edited by Stuckathome
  • Like 6
  • Love 1