Type keyword(s) to search

Nyad (2023)

DevilsDetails
  • Start Topic

Absolutely loved it. Very surprised how much I loved it.  Bening and Foster were fantastic.   I was with Diana's journey every step of the way.  I loved how they didn't shy away from her prickly personality - many driven people are prickly pears.

Nyad is a problematic narcissist, but Bening was really good at portraying that. But it's Foster I hope gets a nomination. This is the most relaxed and at ease on film I've seen her in years. Or ever. She's like a human sunbeam in this film. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
On 12/4/2023 at 3:52 PM, luna1122again said:

But it's Foster I hope gets a nomination. This is the most relaxed and at ease on film I've seen her in years. Or ever. She's like a human sunbeam in this film. 

Relaxed and at ease is the perfect description.

I didn't care for the movie.  I've liked the directors' documentaries, but this was just too jumpy and flash-backy for me.

My main reaction was, "I'd give anything to have Jodie Foster's torso."  But then I realized I'd have to give up everything I like to eat AND do an enormous amount of exercise which revealed the fact that I actually wouldn't give anything to have her torso.  (I'd still like to have it, though.)

And I think her rock-hard abs contributed to her ease on screen.  Like on the boat--she clearly wasn't worried about sucking in her stomach because it didn't need to be.  She could just be the character.

• Like 3

Just watched it.  Definitely a good movie, though a little meandering for my taste.  By the end, I was all in though.  I love Jodie Foster and she did NOT disappoint.   I agree with all the praise here - her performance was just effortless.   I hope she can score an Oscar nod for this.  

• Like 1
(edited)
On 12/2/2023 at 8:24 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

I found it unwatchable and turned it off after 20 minutes.  Performances were good, but the characters were so annoying. 

I almost turned it off at that point too but carried on.  Diane redeemed herself somewhat towards the end, but for me it was too little, too late.  I found her despicable loathsome and felt sorry for all whom she dragged into her wake.

Edited by roughing it
despicable is a bit too strong; I think "loathsome" fits her better

The whole time, I couldn't stop thinking about how swimming for 60 hours straight in shark and jellyfish waters is insane, ridiculous, and unnecessary, and I don't condone it at all.  I still loved this movie and was rooting for Diana, Bonnie and the gang by the end of it, though.

Diana would be a lot - A LOT - to deal with, but Annette Bening made her sort of lovable somehow.  Jodie Foster was fantastic and dynamic as well.  Lovely understated performance from Rhys Ifans, as well.  

The appalled look on the jellyfish suit doctor's face, and the head medic just sort of nervously laughing along, when Diana was hallucinating and Bonnie was encouraging it ... lol, I died.