Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E14: A Few Words

Alicia looks to her past for inspiration when she is asked to deliver the keynote address at an American Bar Association conference in New York City. Meanwhile, the competition between Florrick-Agos and Lockhart-Gardner ramps up as each firm tries to align with a powerful Manhattan lawyer; and Will turns to an old acquaintance when it becomes clear that Nelson Dubeck's investigation into voter fraud isn't going away.

I quite liked the "look back" at Alicia's interview process. I'm also excited to see the fraud investigation unfold more. Elsbeth was great in this one. The Anti-Semitic bear was just too funny for me.

It felt like yet another up-sell of Will and Alicia's Great Lurve. I liked the framework of the episode, using the speech, but the flashbacks -- never mind that terrible outfit and wig, which I know was intentional, but still: oofah -- seemed like just more of the show 'shipping Willicia, and I'm still over it.

This episode proved to me what I had always suspected: I'm much more invested in the courtroom shenanigans and legal wrangling than I am the personal stories.  So an episode without a case of the week always feels a little flat to me.  But maybe that's just me.

Did anyone else think Alicia's speech was mind-numbingly dull, and also not really saying anything?  I mean, I know the speech wasn't the point, emotion-wise, but narratively it was supposed to be a device to convince a high-powered attorney to join their firm.  I can't imagine anyone thinking Alicia was a brilliant anything after that drivel.

Read today the charming remarks that Carrie Preston made on Twitter last night, and also in at least one interview,  verifying that in the "High Hopes" scene she was not intentionally trying to sing off tune.  She just can't sing.  She commented on how embarrassing it was to have to sing off-key in front of Nathan Lane.  Heh.

• Love 2

Rhodinella This episode proved to me what I had always suspected: I'm much more invested in the courtroom shenanigans and legal wrangling than I am the personal stories.

That's weird - I was exactly the opposite. Normally, I'm all about the "Cut all this personal crap, could you get on with the plot!" but I thought it was nice to have an episode with no court scenes. Partly that's because each week it goes more or less the same (Alicia meets the client, the case is going badly, a bit of office politics, investigator makes an important discovery, Alicia wins), so having an episode with no CotW was a refreshing change. In fact, TV tells us that if somebody spends most of the episode agonising over something, it will go down a storm - whereas here it was kind of a damp squib (not really her fault). In fact, for once, nothing went the way Alicia wanted - her speech wasn't a success and FAA didn't land the client. I was glad that Alicia and Will buried the hatchet - they'll never go back to how they were, but I guess they can go forward without the same rancour.

Gotta love Elizabeth Tascioni and I'm glad she landed the "whale". Of course, she'd be a nightmare to actually work with, but onscreen she's a real hoot!