Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

• Start Topic

When Lucy’s quiet life in the countryside is violently interrupted by forces from her past, she must escape to the city with her new chosen family to find answers, only to meet a familiar young woman who begs even more questions.

Premiered today on Australian streaming service STAN.

• Like 1

I haven't finished watching the episode yet, but had to mention that I had to laugh a bit when Lucy opened the door and it turned out that the house was inside a giant warehouse. I had just finished watching today's episodes of Upload where the same thing happened.

• LOL 1

Pilot just aired in the US. Was excited to watch - Krysten Ritter was so good in Jessica jones and loved orphan black. Was intrigued through most of the ep and then that last scene - oof!!! Aunt Cosima!!!! I like that it is enough of a different story with a nice link to the original. Am excited to watch the rest of the season!!! 

• Like 1

I remember reading something about the show a while ago, but I'd since forgot anything about it until I saw an ad this week. 

Great moment when she broke out of the room and was just in a warehouse. I was not expecting that! I don't know if I would have continued to push buttons and put my hands in things though. 

This strikes me as a very Krysten Ritter role. Eating out of cans while building rockets and engines and whatever. And she speaks Spanish. She just needed to punch someone, but the kick to the face worked. 

At the beginning, Doctor Keeley Hawes was saying something about long-term memory not "settling in", but then said later she was printed, which we saw. So maybe this is a new clone technology.

I do hope the show doesn't go too overboard on the conspiracies and shadowy organizations. It was getting too much. 

Reed Diamond being very Reed Diamondy. They've got all the heavyweights in here. 

I like the idea of clones at a different age. You're just not going to capture the OG magic with the same actor, even though Ritter could probably pull it off. Too much of a risk if she's not flawless. 

Is Doctor Keeley Hawes who I think it is?! The previews I assume are still spoilers. 

The young Lucy looks kind of like my FB friend when she was younger. 

I hope more people watch! 

2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I do hope the show doesn't go too overboard on the conspiracies and shadowy organizations. It was getting too much. 

I'm intrigued with the different angle, but I agree with the above. Also, would Kira really work with anything/anyone corporate?

I really like Krysten Ritter and Keeley Hawes; I'll keep watching.

• Like 1

Probably not, but Reed Diamond's organization doesn't strike me as totally above board either. And, we're going from printing organs to using the technology to cloning people (possibly). 

In the scene with Reed Diamond (and this is what we're calling him, yes? 'Tom' is just not him) and her, she said something like 'your (or our?) boss makes that decision.'

The simple answer could just be that she nobly patented technology to print organs but got into bed with the wrong people to get the technology up at scale and is in over her head. 

I don't think she's shady because she clearly considers Lucy a real person and doesn't seem to be buying that 'the clone is damaged'. Although, to be fair, Reed Diamond's argument, which is his job to do, is reasonable. He just did it in a Reed Diamondy way. Also, Lucy is responsible for killing his friend. 

Keeley Hawes has been a fave from 'Spooks' so I don't want her to be shady especially if it looks like she's playing such a beloved character from the OG. 

Given who she is, I also need a strong buy in as to why she would agree to cloning knowing what has happened. 

Other observations - I like how it's 'futurey' in 2052, but not totally scifi. There's still old buildings in Boston because why wouldn't there be? Old trucks will still work. The phones are the same, just thinner. 

8 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

The simple answer could just be that she nobly patented technology to print organs but got into bed with the wrong people to get the technology up at scale and is in over her head. 

That sounds possible - especially with the call to Cosima at the end. It sounded like Lucy was Kira's creation so, how it went from organs to full person is a major point. --I'm sure I missed details and will watch again - and it's only the pilot episode - but I hope they aren't going to be too stingy with answers. (Also, if it's only been a couple of years since Lucy's creation, why is there a younger model who looks to be teenaged? (TB explained))

Reed Diamond's position about his friend (employee?) getting killed - he verbally ran right over Kira when she mentioned Lucy being attacked, and the guy tried to kill Lucy, so, I'm not really sympathetic. That hardline won't-listen-don't-care-about-your-side portrayal wins zero points with me. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, justmehere said:

That hardline won't-listen-don't-care-about-your-side portrayal wins zero points with me. 

That's what I meant by a reasonable and valid point being given in a Reed Diamondy way. He's assuming Lucy killed him too. With their limited information, the boyfriend could have done it for all they know. But, the guy is dead, and she's in the wind. Finding her is a priority. 

31 minutes ago, justmehere said:

It sounded like Lucy was Kira's creation so, how it went from organs to full person is a major point. --I'm sure I missed details and will watch again - and it's only the pilot episode - but I hope they aren't going to be too stingy with answers. (Also, if it's only been a couple of years since Lucy's creation, why is there a younger model who looks to be teenaged? (TB explained))

Do we know Lucy is the first? If so, maybe in the meantime they tried again to be more 'stable'; the loss of the long term memory seemed to be an issue. The younger girl seemed to be able to come and go too. 

I've just watched the pilot for Echoes.

Other than the needless foot-dragging, for a pilot, my biggest problem with this is the scene in the field with Charlie, when the baddie was threatening to shoot Lucy.

They swept Charlie's psycho trauma under the rug, didn't they?
That would be a shocking event for anyone, let alone a young girl.
My mental jury is still out on this one. I don't like it, but I'd like it even less if it puts Charlie on a bad path. Nothing good can come from it.

Jury's in.
Nope, they didn't need to pile all that baggage on Charlie nor any child. They should've had Jack do it.
AAMOF, I'm not sure I want to watch anymore of this sort of writing.