Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 Discussion

Bort
  • Start Topic

Pat returns home and tries to put the family back together. Terry meets his family for the first time after suffering a traumatic brain injury. Gaynor battles with Pat over the role as head of household.

There is no way the house could look that bad after 4 months. How could a piano get ruined if nobody touched it. The basement was totally over the top with the layer of dust. I didn't think the stairs could look more dangerous than in the previous season, but they managed to do it. So many dishes in the sink even though all they did was order takeout, yet Pat managed to have the kitchen looking spotless in no time. I was surprised the literary agent was afraid to sit on the seat, it looked perfectly fine to me.

I don't watch a lot of horror movies or TV Shows or read the books, so I miss a lot of the horror references that the creators enjoy throwing in, but I did find this episode to be much funnier than the things they were doing in the previous season.

I am surprised that Gaynor dropped out of school, I would think the high school girl with the big house and no parents would make Gaynor the most popular girl in school, then I could understand how the house looked as bad as it did.

Gaynor motivations are a total mystery to me. It is nice to see that they got everybody back, with decent sized parts.

4955840.jpg

Pat-Phelps-and-her-daughter-4955850.jpg

• Like 1

S02.E03: Chapter 11: The Goat

F8VBaZlWEAALp6w?format=jpg&name=large

Terry struggles to process the knowledge that Pat hit him with an axe and he may have cheated on her with his colleague Kathryn. Meanwhile, Gaynor gets some potentially good news, and Jake has a run-in with the scary goat.

Premiere Date: Friday, October 27, 2023     Starz  9pm ET

40 minutes ago, jenn31 said:

Getting tired of Gaynor. Do we really need another stroppy teen in a show? Yeah, you know it all, babes. Your brother isn’t your responsibility, stay out of it. 

I guffawed when the husband was leaving her and both of them called out to each other “You take the kids!” 🤣 As a single mother for 10 years (of teens) I often thought to myself “I wanted custody???” 😁 

Edited by goldilocks
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2

S02.E05: Chapter 13: The Miracle

tE6Nn2SOdOyNLe7mvrwVdSykJFf.jpg

The fractured family is brought back together by unexpected news while Terry embarks on a healthier lifestyle. Jake struggles to reconnect with an old friend in the house and Gaynor meets a sexy new friend.

Premiere Date: Friday, November 10, 2023     Starz     9pm 

S02.E06: Chapter 14: What's the Matter with Sandy?

shining-vale-season-2-merrin-dungey-1014

Pat becomes concerned about the readers of her new novel. Meanwhile, Terry’s addiction to testosterone has him striving to make his mark on the town.

Premiere Date: Friday, November 17, 2023     Starz     9pm 

e901e27b4240cfde5eddd7dccdac979c5ac16caa

S02.E07: Chapter 15: Covens

7XQZWCHQmYSa0ETY3lloWIqNnrT.jpg

Pat discovers new fears about her book. Terry has found renewed purpose in a major life change. Gaynor is ghosted by her boyfriend and Jake breaks out of his hideaway.

Premiere Date: Friday, November 24, 2023     Starz      9pm 

I laughed with Pat’s throwaway line… “I have told you, and every time you say… ‘Oh, speaking of an ax, I’ve got a boner.’ “ That’s a man for you. 😉

And Gaynor’s deduction as to why she’s possessed was great. Yep, all teens are possessed. 🤣

Edited by steph369
  • Like 3
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, steph369 said:

I laughed with Pat’s throwaway line… “I have told you, and every time you say… ‘Oh, speaking of an ax, I’ve got a boner.’ “ That’s a man for you. 😉

And Gaynor’s deduction as to why she’s possessed was great. Yep, all teens are possessed. 🤣

And the priest’s reply:

“This is not possession, this is being an American girl.” 😅 (Just sub “teen” for American girl.)

Then he agrees to exorcise her! The whole sequence was hilarious.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, goldilocks said:

And the priest’s reply:

“This is not possession, this is being an American girl.” 😅 (Just sub “teen” for American girl.)

Ah, if every teen could be exorcised.  😉

• Like 3
20 hours ago, goldilocks said:

And the priest’s reply:

I’m feeling a bit possessed myself. Anyone have that priest’s number? 

• Like 1

S02.E08: Chapter 16: Redemption

shining-vale-season-2-episode-8-season-f

(Season Finale)

Pat struggles to find someone she can trust. Terry’s mayoral ambitions seem to have overwhelmed his loyalty to her. Gaynor struggles with her own fate and Jake gets a second chance to defend his family.

Premiere Date: Friday, December 1, 2023     Starz  9pm 

mSHFCSR21MdqjdOn7Hjgrv2MNND.jpg

I really enjoyed this season and hope it gets renewed.

I feel bad for Jake - poor guy is just overlooked and neglected by everyone and yet he probably knows more about what's going on in the house than anyone.

And the man in the hat - has the "father" priest been targeting this family since Judith Light's first seeing him? And is he the bio dad of the now missing secret sister?

• Like 1

I watched all of season 2 today because they've not only cancelled it but plan to remove the show from Starz entirely after tomorrow.

I loved the horror movie references and the sharp dialogue. I think Merrin Dungey's character was my favorite because of the way she would just pop in, react to all the nonsense in a somewhat reasonable way, and then nope out. I was also surprised to find myself really liking Gaynor because that kind of teen character usually annoys me, but I thought they did a good job of showing why she is the way she is.

What I didn't like was Mira Sorvino's accent work, bringing Claire back just to kill her off, and not making more use of Allison Tolman.

I wouldn't call the show a favorite, but I really enjoyed it--even though it was kind of disjointed. I don't remember enough from the first season to say if it all hangs together, but would've liked to see where it went next. They were already working on season 3 😔