Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: Episode 3

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

Otis looked like Adam Ant!

I completely forgot Aimes could bake. 

Ruby does get Otis though in terms of people feeling they can approach. That was a good monologue. Ruby is an interesting character when they want her to be. She can be really funny when she gets exasperated with Otis. I'm glad they didn't go the route of them hooking up. 

I don't like the seeming divide with Eric and Otis. It's fair that straight people can be 'basic', but Otis has been around for a while. That's not entirely their place to make that call. 

I liked the parallel with the Third Wives of Miami. 

I still don't like the writing instructor. Not that Maeve would be a great writer right out of the gate, but it does take work. A proper instructor is going to show her how to put in the work. What's wrong with a victorian novel set in a trailer park? Help her work on the tone so it's not obvious. 

• Like 5

I don't like the seeming divide with Eric and Otis. It's fair that straight people can be 'basic', but Otis has been around for a while. That's not entirely their place to make that call. 

I am (slowly!) catching up on the last season, and I hate this storyline. I can understand friends growing apart, but the idea that Otis and Eric are going to grow apart because Otis is too basic for Eric? The same Eric that dresses up with Eric, danced with him at the school dance and supported him with his relationship with Adam? 

I realize they are teenagers, but this group is just as judgmental of those they deem "basic" as they think the "basic" people are about them, and - at this school especially, as they've presented it - that's not the case at all. 

• Like 1

I think that was my quote. But, yes, I thought it was manufactured drama to drive a wedge between the two because plot. They could have achieved the same endpoint without trashing Otis, and I don't buy Eric would allow them to talk about Otis like that. 

To be fair, I think Abbi said something, but the scene ending like 'eh'. 

• Like 1
On 9/24/2023 at 1:28 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

Ruby is an interesting character when they want her to be.

She was absolutely dreadful until we got to know a little bit of her family situation last season; I could not stand Jakob, but I cheered when he asked "Who is that awful person?" because everyone just seems to shrug eh, that's how she is about wildly unacceptable treatment of people.  And so far I enjoy what they're doing with her this season.

On 9/24/2023 at 1:28 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I mostly enjoyed that scene, with Eric saying Otis has always been his person, but, no, they're not very much alike.  It's natural for Eric to be swept up in finally having an immediate LGBTQ+ community to be part of.  But letting his new friends who know fuck all about his best friend make sweeping pronouncements was uncomfortable.  I don't think anything can permanently harm Otis and Eric's friendship, though.

• Like 1