Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: The Last Empress

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

I may be misunderstanding how the 3-person Empire works. Can someone help me out?

I was under the impression that when a Dawn is decanted, it ages to become Day. Day does the same to become Dusk. And Dusk, when it breaks down, marches off to be disintegrated. To be safe, spoiler cover on ...

Spoiler

But in this ep, this Dusk says he has never visited the chamber they find, the home of the AI first Cleon. I had assumed that since this Day had visited that chamber, that its existence became known to each Day at the proper time. Yet this Dusk says he has never been there before.

So is it a different chamber than we saw before, when the old Dusk was disintegrated? Or has this Dusk had his memories wiped? Or do I misunderstand how Dawn/Day/Dusk work?

Overall, I liked this ep. I finally am feeling the pulse of this show, and the different factions. I assume this means it is cancelled?

Edited by Ottis
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

The Gaal/Tallem thing continues to be the least interesting part of the show for me. Hope Salvor rescues her Mom soon and they can be off that stupid planet.

Constant wanting sex seemed like a cliche from a million different stories: she has just had a traumatic near death event, she has lost her beloved pet/security system, and does not know the status of her friend and mentor. So sexy Times! Even so, Hodor was great about the whole thing. The guy is much more complex than the whole "Charming Rouge" trope.

I am shocked, *shocked* that Demerzel has been running the Empire this whole time, if that is what is going on.

Edited by marinw
  • Like 3

Constant wanting sex seemed like a cliche from a million different stories:

I would agree but they sort of set the stage for this before she left for Trantor when she outlined to Hobor how she thought things would go between the two of them.  And I don't think it happened solely because she couldn't contain her desires or she was so turned on it.  I think experiencing sex was something she wanted to do and she simply took the opportunity because who knows if she would get another one.  Given that she was very nearly beheaded I can forgive her "this may be my only shot" attitude. 

So is it a different chamber than we saw before, when the old Dusk was disintegrated? Or has this Dusk had his memories wiped? Or do I misunderstand how Dawn/Day/Dusk work?

I do think it was a different chamber than we saw before because I don't think we've ever seen a door open in the mural.  I'm not sure if Day has ever been there before as I said, I think this was a different place.  That being said, I guess it is possible that he has been there but doesn't remember it because I think it was made clear that Demerzel has been wiping his/their memories.  The original Cleon had almost 300 units of memory but all the Dusks since then only had about 87 units.  I think Demerzel has made sure there is a huge chunk of Cleon I's memories that the clones don't have.

• Like 3