Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: A Stately Pleasure Dome Decree

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

A0rtheYijcXXhLRj1ZlI06d3Z40.jpg
Joyce and Doug head to Vegas to sell the international rights to Minx; at Bottom Dollar, Tina aims to let loose and host a watch party for the Billie Jean King vs. Bobby Riggs tennis match.

Premiere Date: August 18, 2023

"You think I haven't seen a penis stuffed where it doesn't belong. I got two boys." The battle of the sexes was before my time, but I knew of it, and had seen some media. Shelly being so into it was great.

I did like Joyce telling Doug that he does know what he's doing. I don't think Joyce would have done well with all of the international interests, like Doug knows how to do. Joyce still owes Doug an explanation on why she nixed Club Minx, but I got the impression she does realize that the Minx brand needs to expand.

Wow, all the dudes peddling men's magazines. I didn't realize the whole panel setup Joyce. I thought the guy was just doing a deal. Although, again, Doug was correct. I wouldn't say Joyce should have known to a point, but she did get played. 

I generally like all the characters, but this was a strong one for Doug and Tina. I had said last episode that Joyce was up her own ass. It almost cost her here. I do think she's realizing her and Doug together really work. 

3 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Joyce still owes Doug an explanation on why she nixed Club Minx, but I got the impression she does realize that the Minx brand needs to expand.

I think she's still too focused on women's intellect and activism.  She has learned to embrace combining that side with titillation but I think she still sees the titillation as dessert but the substantive stuff, what she really cares about, as the main course people need. 

Even though she enjoys sex, she doesn't realize that there are women out there who lose their shit over anything that caters to their innate horniness. 

For her to be in that room and not clock the reaction of the crowd is going to prove to be shortsighted when Chippendales come onto the scene unless they're going to have Joyce change her mind.

I have a theory about Bambi, Shelly, and Lenny.  I actually had it in the first or second episode of the season, but it's starting to solidify more with each episode that passes by.  I suspect we're headed for a throuple situation.  I've noticed they've had Bambi and Lenny interacting more this season and even spent some time alone in this episode.  Shelly clearly still has the hots for Bambi, but I also believe she loves her husband.  I also think it was a deliberate move to move Shelly and Lenny into a happily swinging couple to move them out of the strictly monogamous place.

Edited by Irlandesa

Doug can see right through Maggie’s playbook. Come on, Joyce.

Hey Richie, maybe it’s time to step away from Minx. You don’t deserve to be boxed-in, creativity wise. Just saying…

Bambi is lost and confused. Sadly, no one cares. Hang in there, gurl.

Not a fan of this episode. Too much Shelly and her OTT shenanigans. Boring!

9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I think she's still too focused on women's intellect and activism.  She has learned to embrace combining that side with titillation but I think she still sees the titillation as dessert but the substantive stuff, what she really cares about, as the main course people need. 

That's entirely fine. I said in the last episode that it's her call; Minx is her IP. However, as we see here, she knows Doug knows what he's doing, and expanding Minx while it's hot is the right idea. She just said 'no' and that was it. She doesn't owe him an apology or anything. But if he's going to put in effort, he needs some direction as to where. 

9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

For her to be in that room and not clock the reaction of the crowd is going to prove to be shortsighted when Chippendales come onto the scene unless they're going to have Joyce change her mind.

I think she needs to see that so I hope history plays out. Minx is hot and it is because of and in spite of Joyce. She needs to know what magazine she has. Writing the piece on Deep Throat is totally fine, but that's not the main part of the magazine. 

Notice in this episode, she didn't clock the panel either. Maybe it's not her skill set, but, again, more reason why Minx needs Doug as much as her. 

I didn't remember this Maggie character. She's been in 3 episodes according to imdb.com. She was apparently in a couple episodes last season? What was her story? They lost me there.

On 8/19/2023 at 12:48 AM, Snazzy Daisy said:

Hey Richie, maybe it’s time to step away from Minx. You don’t deserve to be boxed-in, creativity wise. Just saying…

Tina said something about his having an exclusive contract with Minx. It's possible there's a non-compete clause in there, don't know how much that would limit other job possibilities.

6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I didn't remember this Maggie character. She's been in 3 episodes according to imdb.com. She was apparently in a couple episodes last season? What was her story? They lost me there.

Joyce and Maggie used to work together, under George at the NY Magazine. We first met Maggie when she came to meet Joyce who’s getting ready to go on the Dick Cavett’s Show. Victoria Hartnett humiliated Joyce on live tv and threw Doug into the fire, to Joyce. They argued on stage. She quit after handed over her works for Minx issue #3 to Doug.

Joyce then stayed in NY with Maggie and her hubby. Maggie was an editor for a women magazine called Betsy. Her boss asked Joyce to write a piece for their mag. During a dinner party with Maggie’s elite friends, things got awkward. They were patronizing and judgemental towards Joyce. So she abruptly left them, went dancing and making out with a random dude. Maggie asked Joyce to write apology notes to her friends for being rude.

6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Tina said something about his having an exclusive contract with Minx. It's possible there's a non-compete clause in there, don't know how much that would limit other job possibilities.

Yeah, Tina didn’t mention in detail re the Non-Compete Agmt or Non-Solicitation Agmt etc.

• Useful 2