Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: The Fifth Witness

• Start Topic

After an unexpected witness gives emotional testimony on the stand, Mickey and Lorna hatch a clever plan to cast doubt on the prosecution's case.

Original airdate 8/3/23

Kind of not believable.  After the judge has completely thrown out the testimony of a witness, can either the prosecutor or the defense attorney (much less BOTH) then bring up the actions of that witness in their closing arguments?  

ETA:  Loved Andrea's demonstration with "Manny."

Edited by AZChristian
50 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

After the judge has completely thrown out the testimony of a witness, can either the prosecutor or the defense attorney (much less BOTH) then bring up the actions of that witness in their closing arguments?  

I wondered about that myself. I'm not a lawyer, so I did my legal research using Google. All I could find is that if it were the defendant, it would be improper to mention anything about the failure to testify. I didn't find anything about a witness asserting the fifth amendment. I'll naively assume that there enough legal experts on the show that what happened here was ok.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Raja said:

What was the FBI's beef,  Grant was in court talking on the record for them to listen in on?

but he didn't say anything. I'm not sure what sort of incriminating things they were expecting though.

Going with the "Chekhov's Gun" principle, there are two things that received air time but nothing ever came to fruition with them:

• That juror that hedged the truth about having any family connection to a developer
  • Lorna's theory about Lisa maybe being the one who had Mickey beat up outside his car

There was no reason for those things to be mentioned in terms of moving the story forward, so I wonder if something about those will come back around in the future.

On 8/4/2023 at 4:09 PM, AZChristian said:

ETA:  Loved Andrea's demonstration with "Manny."

An odd thing about Manny is that he was standing on a platform, which made him taller, but no one said anything about that.

Edited by LuvMyShows

I really liked the season, but they aren't very good at making us care about the other characters in Mickey's life and at the office. It's like whatever they show us with that is just an interruption, like all the stuff with his mom, and even the birthday party Hayley threw him. Maybe they're trying to flesh out Mickey's character more, by showing us bits and pieces of why he is the way he is, or more about how he is...or maybe they're just trying to come up with some (interesting) sub-plots, but whatever the reason, it didn't work. I would add Cisco's subplot with the motorcycle gang and even the Cisco/Lorna marriage. I did kinda like the Izzy subplot, but it's a little different because it has been an ongoing character development thing. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

An odd thing about Manny is that he was standing on a platform, which made him taller, but no one said anything about that

I figured that was just to make him "the right height." Of course you can't make him smaller that way.....

• Like 1