Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: Meet Me Where I Am

• Start Topic

I'm beginning to realize what bugs me about this show. Everyone spends all of their time having deep, heartfelt conversations. ALL.THE.TIME. Everyone in town communicates this way: women, men, teenagers. That is not how people talk in the real world. Most people have heartfelt talks every once in a while. Most of us converse about mundane, everyday things. I get it that it's the style of this show, but it feels like these people live on another planet.

Also, I will never not hate Ryan, and I don't want him and Helen together. Now I have to be subjected to so many scenes of Heather Headley's over-the-top acting.

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, mrsbagnet said:

Everyone spends all of their time having deep, heartfelt conversations. ALL.THE.TIME. Everyone in town communicates this way: women, men, teenagers. That is not how people talk in the real world.

Thank you!  Every damned conversation is some erudite speech right out of some kind of therapy manual.  Throw in the religious references and it's just nuts. 

Nobody in my aquaintance talks like this bunch of wise and astute philosophers. I guess I hang around with dolts.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 5

The snooty bingo caller was pretty funny – "O as in Ozymandias." Definitely got a retired English teacher vibe from her.

Did I miss something? Is there a reason why Helen doesn't drink or at least has a different drink than her friends during their girls nights?

• LOL 1
18 hours ago, Orcinus orca said:

Wasn't it because she wanted to get pregnant?

You're right. I didn't understand why she still wasn't drinking even after she told Ryan she can't get pregnant again. I just rewatched that scene, though, and she said the chances of her carrying a pregnancy are slim, not that it was impossible.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, mrsbagnet said:

You're right. I didn't understand why she still wasn't drinking even after she told Ryan she can't get pregnant again. I just rewatched that scene, though, and she said the chances of her carrying a pregnancy are slim, not that it was impossible.

But she’s not pregnant, she’s not currently trying to get pregnant this cycle, she’s not had an embryo transfer and she didn't even seem to be sleeping with anyone at the moment. So there’s zero reason for her not to just live her life as usual. You definitely don’t have to give up drinking under those circumstances (or a lot of pregnancies would never have happened!). No idea what the show is trying to say with this but it seems very puritanical.

I feel like a guy saying that they’ve never had a real female friend in their entire life should be a really bad warning sign, that is way worse than him smacking someone.

Thank you! I can’t believe how these people communicate. It’s ridiculous.  Everyone is so earnest, overly helpful and sensitive, it’s cloying. 

I especially cringe during scenes between the men, while I applaud scenes showing that men should support and check in on each other, it’s the WAY they do this that has me rolling my eyes. 

For a bunch of Christian folks, they’re also judgemental and gossipy. 

Add me to the list of people who can’t stand Ryan. The actor is terrible, the character is boring (even his clothes are beige). I just can’t see why Helen has pined for him all these years.

Do kids actually ask the other parents for permission to date their daughters like that? First Jackson, now Kyle, maybe it was supposed to be sweet, but those scenes also made me cringe.

• Like 3

Yes, I have been thinking the same regarding the dialogue.  EVERYONE speaks in quotes and cliches.  Teenagers talk like they're in their 30s and they don't act like teenagers.  Why am I bingeing this show, anyway?

Edited by RealityCreator
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2