Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E05: Auditions 5

• Start Topic

(edited)
  • Family singers: Did the oldest say she was 27? Mom and Dad don't look old enough to have a 27 year old...they were good. They'll be better with some kind of staging behind them. Them on a bare stage feels a little over-dramatic somehow.
  • Simon's sound board is a million times less annoying than Sofia "translating" for him.
  • I loved the dog act. Too funny. I need a dog like Hurricane to get me out of bed in the morning.
  • Chinese hand balancing guy was good but the screaming at his flips on the second level seemed a little excessive.
  • A grown woman saying "my grampa went to heaven"...really? Good voices, I guess, but I hate that first song so for once I didn't mind Simon pulling his schtick. Still not a country fan so, meh.
  • Erica the self-taught dancer: Really? I was afraid she was gonna have a wardrobe malfunction with that shirt...
  • Young English magician: cute kid and his trick was fun.
  • Musical Michael Myerses: Dumb, but I laughed.
  • "Sit-down" comic: says he came from Chicago, plays a few notes on the piano, and the audience is amazed. He was kinda funny but not nearly as funny as the audience reaction would have you believe.
  • I always like a tap-dancer.
  • Color-changing sneaker magic was fun.
  • Not-GB singer: Of course we knew she'd be good (there's <10 minutes left and they haven't hit the button yet) but she sounded so out of breath just talking. (Simon: "please tell us all about whatever trauma has held you back before you sing for us.")
  • I was almost hoping the thunderstorms that were threatening would take out the power but alas, they didn't amount to much.
Edited by ams1001
  • Like 6

A few thoughts:

Singing family creeped me out a little. 

LOVED the dog act! I LOVE border collies and was really impressed with this act.

You know damn well that “do you have another song?” was the first sentence Simon had programmed into his talking computer thing.

36-year-old hip-hip dancer with the low cut top and mom jeans was good but that outfit….

Really liked the tap dancer!  

• Like 3

I'll start with the two best of the night in my opinion....

*  Family Singers - They were great.  They sounded great together like they've been doing this a long time.  I thought they deserved the golden buzzer but of course they don't have enough boxes to check.

*  Trailer Flowers - Shut up Simon!  That's what I shouted when he held up his hand for them to stop.  I actually wanted to hear the first song!  I can't complain too much since I liked the second one also.  They sounded greatand I hope they make it far in AGT.

*  The dog act -  Obviously, the dog knew what to do whenever the owner sat on the couch or picked up the remote, hat or whatever else.  It was the same as instructing the dog verbally.  When you weed out all the fluff and the "awe's!", you just have a stinking dog act.  Nothing special.

*  Chinese dude balancing act - Nothing special here.  Move along!

*  The self taught dancer - X X X X

*  British magician - Ok.  I'm sure he'll get better with age and practice.

*  Michael Myers' - I enjoyed them better than the dancing mom and they were better than her.

*  Sit down comedian - He rubbed me the wrong way for sure!  I didn't like the race jokes and I don't think there is a place for it on AGT.  Because if circumstances were reversed, there wouldn't have been applause.  I also felt he made fun of the way a certain race prays.  Get him outa here!!

*  Tap dancer - Next.

*  Color Changing magician - He was pretty good.  Something different.

*  Big lady singer - She had a good voice but I'm glad no one pressed he golden buzzer.

This season continues to be a very strange season.  The judges seem to be putting through some questionable acts.  

I can see my trashcan in plain view.  I'll try very hard to keep AGT from being thrown in. 

• Like 4

It gets harder to watch every week. Really dull episode. However, I'm rarely surprised by this show, and this time I was surprised twice. 

1. I though the Michael Myers act would be a bad magician, like that "Ring" act from a few years back. They were still terrible, but I wasn't expecting music/dance. 
  2. No golden buzzer? I thought for sure that last singer would get it. If she was an orphan or a cancer survivor, she would've gone right through. 

The rest? I edited your list, ams1001, out of sheer laziness. 

• Family singers. Ok, I guess. 
  • Dog act - pretty good, nothing special. 
  • Chinese hand balancing guy - nothing we haven't seen before. 
  • Country girls? Terrible.
  • Erica the self-taught dancer? I was embarrassed for her. 
  • Young English magician - I liked him. Same trick as always, but the kid was nice. 
  • Musical Michael Myerses: Dumb, but I laughed.
  • "Sit-down" comic - I liked his personality and piano playing, but the "white people do this, black people do that!" schtick was tired in the 80s. It was a Simpsons joke years ago. 
  • Tap-dancer was good on stage, but when he approached the judges I lost interest.
  • Color-changing sneaker magic was different. Needs more showmanship. 
  • Like 5

Whaddya know...another cheeky/ironic message in an "innocent" act.  Is there a better term of art to describe this entire enterprise than the one the lad from England conjured?  SCAM! 

I found the dog act to be extraordinary in that the human was almost as frenetic as the animal throughout.  No GB, but they are ticketed to the Semis.

So much blah in this one.  Arguably the weakest of the early season.  No GB was the right call.  Of course, it was all decided in Post which acts they would piece together for this week (and every pre-taped week) and they chose more of the quirky and odd.  SYCO didn't need no stinkin' GB this week!  Neither did we, Simon.  Neither did we.