Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Resurrection

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

That fake beard is 70s cop show bad.

Since the Skrulls look real perhaps a fake looking beard it is like an undercover cop wearing the day's color code

On 6/21/2023 at 9:56 PM, Lady Calypso said:

Well, that's annoying if that ending isn't a fake-out. Maria Hill has always been underused in the MCU and THIS is her potential exit? Getting tricked by a Skrull and shot and left to die? I get the idea of a character being tricked by a Skrull is tempting in a series about Skrulls being undetected, but there were certainly other characters to choose from that wasn't a beloved character who never got a chance to shine in the first place. It's not like she's had massive development, either. Which is what makes this more disappointing, if it's not a fake-out. 

The ideas stemming from this episode are interesting enough, but man did they do ALL the women dirty in some way:

• Maria dies and is essentially fridged for Fury's arc;
  • G'iah is an antagonist who will likely be redeemed at some point but she is still going to be a massive part of this massive evil plan to destroy the world;
  • Sonya is an antagonist who is going to be portrayed as someone getting in Fury's way;
  • Soren is killed offscreen, oops!

And that's literally all of the women on this show, the only two female regulars are antagonists and one will clearly be redeemed, but probably not before she helps kill a bunch of people in the process, and the other who is probably going to make some massive mistakes that will also get people killed. 

I didn't completely hate this episode, mind you. I really like Talos and I think his relationship with his daughter could be great to watch. I also liked Sonya's scenes with Fury, as that could be an interesting dynamic. And as much as I bemoan about G'iah's redemption arc, I do think Emilia Clarke is a great actress who has already added some layers to the character.

Plus, I do think that Gravik is a solid villain thus far. I did kind of like the explanation that G'iah gave to Beto about how that particular community worked (Skrulls who weren't warriors getting to be their true selves, and why warriors still wore human faces). 

Obviously it's still early so maybe the series will turn around on the two female characters they have, but with how few major kills they've done thus far, even all the major kills they HAVE done in this saga have pretty much been all female characters.

One thought I have had is that this show might reintroduce Monica Rambeau. Especially given the relationship she had with G'iah in Captain Marvel.

On 6/21/2023 at 4:37 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Well, then!  It's certainly possible this will somehow be one big ruse or it will get backtracked somehow, but if it holds true, then the MCU basically just looked at all of the complaints they have gotten recently about how they handle their women characters and we're like "Eh, whatever!  It's Maria Hill's time to die, now!"  I guess they really wanted to show they weren't going to pull any punches here, but we'll see if it ends up being worth it.

Kind of a slow start, but I do like how they are incorporating the spy thriller aspects here and trying to put their own spin to it, MCU style.  I was curious to see how they would make the Skrulls the villains since they were portrayed more positively on Captain Marvel, and I like the idea that it is actually a faction that has branched out and gain control thanks to the Blip (fuck you, Thanos!)  Definitely seem to be leaning into them being more "young and radical" with Gravik and G'iah being the main faces so far.

Loved getting lots of Fury and Talos.  Talos in particular is gaining grown at being one of my surprise favorite out of the entire MCU.  Ben Mendelsohn is always a delight!

It might have only been one scene, but Olivia Colman managed to make me love and already want more of Sonya.  Because she is Olivia Colman and everything she touches turns to gold!

Kingsley Ben-Adir was excellent in One Night in Miami, so hopefully Gravik won't be an one-note antagonist and will allow Kingsley to flex more for a bigger audience.

No matter how her characters end up being disappointments at the end, I will always love Emilia Clarke!

Hope the real Everett Ross is okay.

I wonder how many millions Don Cheadle gets every time he simply shows up on an MCU project to mainly spout exposition for a minute or two.  Not a bad gig, really!

Now that Guardians 3 made it a possibility, I wonder if the show will let Samuel L. Jackson finally do what he does best: say the F-word at least once!

Huge co-sign.  I love spycraft and this is the perfect vehicle to really get into it MCU style.

There are a few nitpicks, of course:

For as high tech as SHEILD is, how is it that you know Skrulls can handle radioactivity, hence making Russia their home base, yet you have no idea where at least 20 or more former nuclear power plants are?  I get that you won't send humans there, but come on. Haven't created a drone that can withstand radioactivity yet? (It might have been yet another "Thanks and Fuck you, Thanos!" result of the Blip. I wish the MCU could have called it the Snap!)

I love my Mother of Dragons, so Emilia Clarke is cool with me being Talos' daughter.

I'm sure the real Everett Ross is still criss-crossing the country with Okoye... He wasn't shown in that warehouse where Gravik kept the other humans he kidnapped...  I figured that the skrullRoss did something to tip that agent off to try to kill him, so he must not have had RealRoss' memories and thought patterns.

Maria Hill has "died" so many times by now, so I will wait to see if this death sticks before screaming.

In fact, I am going to presume that Fury is playing chess while we are all playing checkers. Everything is not as it seems...

(edited)

This is what worries me. Even more than Cap’s ending, Strange hasn’t received anywhere near enough criticism for his actions in No Way Home and MoM. Tony gets the noble sacrifice and is basically proven right after being directly responsible for a ridiculous number of villains. 

Particularly since everyone involved should be very well aware that Carol will receive more scrutiny than other characters. This will show if they learned anything from the criticism of how they handled Wanda. 

The problem with Carol is that it is easy to criticize because we have no idea what she's been doing.  Aside from showing up to fight Thanos (and promptly leaving again), she's been gone for 30 years with no explanation.  Even when she answered Fury's text, we weren't given any information about what she is doing.  I am envisioning her being like '70s Hulk - travelling from planet to planet, helping people out and then moving on.  Without any other explanation or insight, its kind of hard not to think she didn't just forget about finding the Skrulls a home - whether that is true or not. 

Edited by Mrs. Stanwyck
  • Like 1
On 6/29/2023 at 6:42 PM, Stardancer Supreme said:

Huge co-sign.  I love spycraft and this is the perfect vehicle to really get into it MCU style.

There are a few nitpicks, of course:

For as high tech as SHEILD is, how is it that you know Skrulls can handle radioactivity, hence making Russia their home base, yet you have no idea where at least 20 or more former nuclear power plants are?  I get that you won't send humans there, but come on. Haven't created a drone that can withstand radioactivity yet? (It might have been yet another "Thanks and Fuck you, Thanos!" result of the Blip. I wish the MCU could have called it the Snap!)

I love my Mother of Dragons, so Emilia Clarke is cool with me being Talos' daughter.

I'm sure the real Everett Ross is still criss-crossing the country with Okoye... He wasn't shown in that warehouse where Gravik kept the other humans he kidnapped...  I figured that the skrullRoss did something to tip that agent off to try to kill him, so he must not have had RealRoss' memories and thought patterns.

Maria Hill has "died" so many times by now, so I will wait to see if this death sticks before screaming.

In fact, I am going to presume that Fury is playing chess while we are all playing checkers. Everything is not as it seems...

I don't know if the show has established that SHIELD/Fury knows either that Skrulls can handle radioactivity or that they have made Russia a home base.

I don't know if Maria Hill specifically had "died" prior to this other than Thanos's snap.

I think it's more like Fury is back thinking he's a MF'ing chess grandmaster still, but a) he isn't or b) he is, but he's jumping in the middle of a game that has left him at a severe disadvantage or c) the game that is being played is wildly different from chess and he's not yet ready (but will get there).

On 7/5/2023 at 6:07 PM, Chicago Redshirt said:

I don't know if the show has established that SHIELD/Fury knows either that Skrulls can handle radioactivity or that they have made Russia a home base.

I don't know if Maria Hill specifically had "died" prior to this other than Thanos's snap.

I think it's more like Fury is back thinking he's a MF'ing chess grandmaster still, but a) he isn't or b) he is, but he's jumping in the middle of a game that has left him at a severe disadvantage or c) the game that is being played is wildly different from chess and he's not yet ready (but will get there).

Maria and Talos specifically gave that Skrulls/radioactivity info to Fury, so I can assume that SHIELD or whatever they morphed into knew that as well.

I'm a comic book head, and Maria has "died" quite a few times in the comics.  I forget that most folks haven't read the source material for the MCU.