Type keyword(s) to search

Five Star Kitchen: Britain’s Next Great Chef With Michel Roux Jr. - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Five Star Kitchen is a new cooking competition that will see chefs from a wide variety of professional backgrounds complete in a series of culinary challenges including banquets, late-night room service, a chef's table and a busy lunch service. The challenges are designed to prove the chefs can deliver five-star service and have what it takes to run a restaurant at the highest level. The winner of Five Star Kitchen will get the opportunity to run The Palm Court restaurant at world famous hotel The Langham in London.

Enjoyed the first episode. I've been missing Michel Roux Jr. and the chefs look interesting. This looks to be a low key show that focuses on food without the forced drama and sob stories creeping into some other competition shows.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Really enjoying this! Michel Roux's expressions are top notch entertainment. I like the two other judges too. I'm always so cautious about new judges but I've always enjoyed UK Judges. I remember being iffy about Monica when she was first introduced and then she was amazing!!!!!

In the second ep I was so sure that the sprout dish with mackerel would tank so that was rather a surprise.

I hope we see more episodes about costing. I like the emphasis on profitability, it's not something we see much on cooking shows.

• Like 2

I am also appreciating the "real world" type of challenges. The judging is harsher than some UK shows, but it seems fair and, yes, MRJ's facial expressions are so entertaining and seem quite genuine. 

As much as I personally loathe social media and words like "instagramable", it's a fact of life that restaurants have to keep up with. The challenge of creating a super expensive "destination" dish that might go viral was interesting. I would never pay a couple hundred dollars for a dish (let alone a couple thousand) but there are plenty of people who will. Glad that they also required the dishes to be of substance and taste great and not just be gimmicky.  

• Like 1

Finished this up, and found it to be well-produced and entertaining.

I so enjoyed seeing Michel Roux Jr. again. I have really missed him as head judge on Masterchef UK The Professionals. He remains a great mentor. I love how he speaks about food, and the small moments where he has a laugh with the contestants. 

• Like 2

I stopped watching once Jordan survived past Igor.  They should have sent him home an episode earlier.  Amanda's (is that her name?) undercooked lobster was a mistake, but his tea tray wasn't bad due to an error.  He didn't have the skill set to make one.

I am enjoying this show. As for Igor going when he did, Igor was annoying and over confident for an awfully long time. And it's clear (I haven't finished yet) that Jordan is not cut out for this so he won't make it out of the final in any case. And I have to say that serving raw lobster is inexcusable, period (Lara was her name). Also, I don't think the nicely dressed rich people are going to appreciate weird rabbits popping balloons filled with food all over their tables. 

• Like 1

Stumbled on this show by accident so I'm late to the party. I'm only part way through, but am thoroughly enjoying it. The challenges are skill-based, really interesting, and applicable to the real world. I feel like this is the type of show Ciao House (set in the Italian villa) SHOULD have been had the show-runners actually known what they were doing.

I've never encountered Chef Michel on other shows before, but I am so impressed by him. He's tough but encouraging, and give balanced feedback. Exactly the type of mentor you would want if you were in this industry. He seems like he would be wonderful to sit and chat with. Really like the other two judges as well.

The contestants are all varied, and none are annoying me too much, so I'll definitely finish watching. I think Lara has  actual skill and talent for someone so young - I was worried she was all gimmick, but there is some substance there. The rest are a mixed bag of people who can either focus or fall apart depending on circumstances. Jordan seems way out of his depth and probably shouldn't be there. There are others who are talented cooks but poor communicators. Very entertaining to watch their progress. 

I've also earned that there is no way in hell I would ever survive working in a fine-dining kitchen - or any kitchen for that matter!

• Like 1