Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Do No Evil

• Start Topic

I am glad they didn't show the actual deed, save afterwards as brief flashies in Candy's mind.

Although Candy is an adulterer and a hypocrite, she didn't plan the murder. She was attacked but 40 axe blows can't be interpreted as self defence.

As it's usual, all in the neighbourhood are sure that the guilty one is an outsider - not somebody among them.

• Like 1
(edited)

In both this and Candy, I kept asking: "What happened to the dogs?!"  The baby was left alone, but so were the dogs left alone for hours and at night.  They were barking and then nothing. 

All joking aside (thankfully dogs were in a later scene), this is picking up.  At first Elizabeth Olsen's portrayal reminded me of some of her WandaVision characters, which was a bit distracting, but I got accustomed to it.  The tension in the early scenes with Better was great, as was her obvious fear at getting found out.

Edited by Brn2bwild
  • Like 3

Elizabeth Olsen is a really good actress. If she weren't in this show, I wouldn't be watching. Kudos to the accuracy of 1980 Dallas.The scene at the DFW airport had passengers disembarking from a Braniff International plane, and the customer service uniforms were correct too! I used to work for Braniff, so I appreciated that detail.

• Like 3

If I never have to see Jesse Plemons and Elizabeth Olsen simulating having sex again, it will be too soon. 

It's odd how they didn't have Elizabeth look more like Candy, instead of making her  look like Elizabeth with a cute bob and those weird 80s clothes. 

• Like 7
3 hours ago, Kenz said:

Elizabeth Olsen is a really good actress. If she weren't in this show, I wouldn't be watching. Kudos to the accuracy of 1980 Dallas.The scene at the DFW airport had passengers disembarking from a Braniff International plane, and the customer service uniforms were correct too! I used to work for Braniff, so I appreciated that detail.

Lucky you! I’m still obsessed with Braniff, lol. 

• Like 2

I think she is a good actress generally, but I think she is overacting in this.  I can't help seeing too many eye  movements and facial expressions.  I know she is acting out the part of someone who is acting the part of someone hiding something.  Still . . .

• Like 2
(edited)

Betty threatens Candy with an axe. Instead of leaving quickly, Candy has the nerve to try and have the last word. Typical Candy, always want to be in control.

Allan knows about Betty’s depression but it takes him so long to initiate a welfare check on her. Never think of the possibility of suicide?

The incompetence of Wylie Police is palpable. The police force and neighbors have contaminated the crime scene. They think the perp couldn’t be female due to the nature of crime. The police chief tells a person of interest about the evidence they have (footprints) and gives her a chance to cover her track.

Is Candy a psychopath? After killing Betty so brutally, she goes about her day and makes sure to tell almost everybody about her busy morning. She has sex with Pat while Betty’s daughter is sleeping in the next room. She cries when Allan tells her about Betty’s death.

Candy’s emotions on display:   

90914028-9AD8-46C3-A284-245F041461AA.jpeg
*pic credit to various Twitter accs

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Like 3
On 5/4/2023 at 11:22 PM, Brn2bwild said:

In both this and Candy, I kept asking: "What happened to the dogs?!"  The baby was left alone, but so were the dogs left alone for hours and at night.  They were barking and then nothing. 

All joking aside (thankfully dogs were in a later scene), this is picking up.  At first Elizabeth Olsen's portrayal reminded me of some of her WandaVision characters, which was a bit distracting, but I got accustomed to it.  The tension in the early scenes with Better was great, as was her obvious fear at getting found out.

I'm always worried about dogs in anything I watch

I was thinking same here, are the dogs ok??  But then I realized why would they go there, she already killed Betty with an axe, she wouldn't hang around to hurt the dogs. 

My favorite Elizabeth Olsen vehicle is Wind River.  She plays an FBI agent a little out of her element investigating a murder on Wind River reservation, and she has such great chemistry with Jeremy Renner.  

On 5/7/2023 at 10:12 AM, Kenz said:

Seriously.  The set design people clearly had a Braniff fan among them because they went crazy with the iconography in that brief scene at the check in desk for Braniff at DFW.

On 5/7/2023 at 4:43 PM, SnazzyDaisy said:

The incompetence of Wylie Police is palpable. The police force and neighbors have contaminated the crime scene. They think the perp couldn’t be female due to the nature of crime. The police chief tells a person of interest about the evidence they have (footprints) and gives her a chance to cover her track.

In fairness to the police,

Spoiler

Candy left a lot of evidence behind and she's arrested within a couple of weeks of the murder.

• Like 3