Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E07: Hollywood Week Part 1

• Start Topic

(edited)

606:  Hollywood Week Part 1

American Idol alumni return as mentors to build confidence, stage presence, and songwriting as they prepare for performances on the Hollywood Week stage.

April 2, 2023.

Some notable performances

Matt Wilson - Can You Stand the Rain?
Ian - I Can't Make you Love Me
Blonde piano player with an original song about her brother

I don't know the names of the contestants but some songs sung were "And I Am telling you I'm not Going", "Black Hole Sun" by Soundgarden, "Make you feel my Love" by Bob Dylan/Adele, "Vienna" by Billy Joel, "Cold as Ice" by Foreigner, "How Will I Know", Whitney Houston.

A girl also sang "Movin the Line" which is an original song from the show "Smash" - honestly, I liked the performance!  But she was cut.

I think two separate people auditioned with "My Mind" by Yebba - do I have the artist right?  I don't know that song.

Fire sang poorly again.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 3

Nice to see some "Idol" alumni stop in. My mom and I were getting a good laugh out of Clay's comments about how old some of the contestants were making him feel and whatnot throughout the episode (and seriously, Clay, same :D). He gave some good advice, though, as did Jordin and the others who stopped by. 

I liked the girl who did the original song getting to hear the audience and the judges still singing it after she stepped off stage. That was a cool, sweet moment. Good song, too, I could honestly hear that one getting some airplay. 

Sarah Beth, the girl who announced she was leaving to go back home and be with her kid...she looks SO MUCH like a friend of mine, the resemblance is uncanny.

Will be interesting to see how everyone fares in the duets round. 

• Like 3

"I'm going to sing And I Am Telling You by Jennifer Hudson." Really? Really?! That's as bad as the girl who attributed Swing Low, Sweet Chariot to Beyoncé. 

Lyric has a nice voice but seemed to think she was trying out for musical theater. Iam sounded great and if they had a diamond ticket it should be his. 

Sara Beth was complaining to the press about being Mom-shamed by Katy and then she quits. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

as Clay Aiken wearing acrylic nails?  White, a bit long, and decorations at the tips?

Didn't notice any decorations, but they def. appeared to be polished a pale pink color. 

Ian (like Willie Spence and several others from earlier seasons) is great, but will become a bit boring the longer he lasts (ie, will not win).

What are they doing putting Fire through again?? Her voice is mediocre at best, and I don't even find her story very compelling/sympathetic. 

Kyeara (?)  looks like Megan Fox.

Worst song choice of the night was the mattress salesman; I didn't think he had a clue what 'Vienna' is about.

I actually like the new twist on the duets, where the contestants make their own pairings (instead of the judges doing it). Less opportunity for producer manipulation, and reminiscent of the old 'group night', where there was a lot of drama involved in people forming groups.

Edited by sempervivum
wrong person
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

I actually like the new twist on the duets, where the contestants make their own pairings (instead of the judges doing it). Less opportunity for producer manipulation, and reminiscent of the old 'group night', where there was a lot of drama involved in people forming groups.

Totally agree.

• Like 2

Oh my goodness. I just saw the clip of the girl who said her mom tried out for Idol the same year as Clay...to his face. I thought her next line was going to be "Do you know him?". Maybe it was, they cut it off pretty quick after that. 🤣

• LOL 4
15 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

And I Am Telling You by Jennifer Hudson.

The judges are so inconsistent.  Sometimes they don't want anyone singing Broadway tunes--other times it's fine.

44 minutes ago, pvandal said:

Oh my goodness. I just saw the clip of the girl who said her mom tried out for Idol the same year as Clay...to his face. I thought her next line was going to be "Do you know him?". Maybe it was, they cut it off pretty quick after that. 🤣

Clay and she had a cute interaction on social media after it aired.  (It was in his Instagram stories, but it's no longer there.)  She apologized and Clay said no need at all for that.  They both joked about it.  Very cute.

• Like 5

I haven't watched Idol since Season Ten (!) because I got sick of the obvious machinations of the judges/producers, and I couldn't stand that year's winner. I don't know if the favoritism aspect has gotten any better, but at least they're not body-shaming the contestants anymore, thank god. What sucked me into watching was when I heard that Clay was appearing as a mentor. I've always loved him and thought he did a really good job with his advice.

I cannot stand shouty songs (And I am Telling You) or shouty singers (Nutsa) so I tuned both of those performances out. 

I think my favorites from tonight were Ian (or is it Iam?) and the girl who sang her original song, something about What Are You Good For? I was not paying attention during the introduction, but found the song so catchy that I was searching for it online, unaware that it was a original song being debuted that evening. She was great, and I love the dichotomy between her singing and speaking voice.

Looks like I'm hooked again, at least for the time being. 

• Like 4
  • Love 3