Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: At Any Given Moment

• Start Topic

Triggered by the suicide of his old friend Valence and framed for the murder of Edward Homm, Weir frantically tries to piece together what went wrong the day before.

Dropping March 26, 2023

Still very confused but it is getting more interesting with the latest clues and the reveal of Daddy being alive and apparently part of the conspiracy. So who was the victim of the gunshot in the flashback to John's childhood when he ran away from his mother and came back to the house, and did we even see a body or just blood and brain bits on the wall? I guess the identity of the victim will be an important reveal in a later episode.

Was the intern actually trying to hurt or even kill John when they started fighting, or was this an elaborate fake fight to allow John to get the stuff he stole from the police evidence? At first I thought it was fake, but that didn't really make sense since John already had the evidence and just needed to put it in the car and leave. And the seriousness of the intern's attack seemed to confuse and shock John. So if the intern is working for the big bad (which would also explain why he didn't die in the explosion--he probably set it from a safe distance), why did he help John by getting the copy away from her desk, and why didn't he take the evidence after he had knocked John down?

The writing for the FBI guy seems over the top, but maybe the attitude he shows toward the female agent is realistic. I also don't really like the writing for the female agent and for Hailey and/or their interactions with John, but for now I can accept it as long as the mystery is handled well.

13 hours ago, Paloma said:

Was the intern actually trying to hurt or even kill John when they started fighting, or was this an elaborate fake fight to allow John to get the stuff he stole from the police evidence? At first I thought it was fake, but that didn't really make sense since John already had the evidence and just needed to put it in the car and leave. And the seriousness of the intern's attack seemed to confuse and shock John. So if the intern is working for the big bad (which would also explain why he didn't die in the explosion--he probably set it from a safe distance), why did he help John by getting the copy away from her desk, and why didn't he take the evidence after he had knocked John down?

The intern is a baddie, and was very much trying to hurt John and get the fob away from him. He did not help John in any way in the station / precinct, his goal in jamming the door was to prevent the police from intervening while he attempted to get the evidence from John. The intern was finally unable to take the evidence because the woman (forget her name) rammed the car into him, which allowed John to pick it up and jump into the car.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
26 minutes ago, Pothunter said:

The intern is a baddie, and was very much trying to hurt John and get the fob away from him. He did not help John in any way in the station / precinct, his goal in jamming the door was to prevent the police from intervening while he attempted to get the evidence from John.

OK, that makes sense. But did the intern come to the police station because John called to ask him for help (as a distraction), or did someone else call him to tell him what John was planning? I think by the way the scene was directed we were meant to think John called him, but maybe it was someone higher in the conspiracy (like Daddy Lannister?--sorry, I mainly associate Charles Dance with that role) who called the intern while surveilling John and figuring out what John was looking for.

In any case, if these evil conspirators are so powerful, why couldn't they have someone from the coroner's office take the fob from Miles' personal effects. 

1 minute ago, Paloma said:

OK, that makes sense. But did the intern come to the police station because John called to ask him for help (as a distraction), or did someone else call him to tell him what John was planning?

The main bad guy (not revealed yet) sent the message to the intern (most likely scenario). John had no idea that the intern had survived the explosion.

• Useful 1

So far I'm liking it, but there's a lot of handwaiving to do for all these pieces to fall together.  Biggest of which is Weir walking all around a police station and no one recognizing him until he's walking out. I mean, he doesn't really have an everyman type of appearance. 

I'd like to think that the intern is being directed by someone other than Weir, and he was at the police station to get the same thing.  But how was he about to get it?  And if the plan was to ambush Weir, how did he know he was there?  I wouldn't be shocked if there's another explanation revealed down the line.

I thought the reveal of daddy still being alive was telegraphed pretty hard.  No subtlety there.   

Nitpick:  Kiefer Sutherland is 56 years old.  Which would make him 13 in 1981.  That kid at the table looked about 8. 

Other nitpick:  I hate it when they show people texting and we're supposed to be able to read the screen from across the room in the limited time they give us.  Yeah, I know, we can pause, etc., but we shouldn't have to do that. 

• Like 3
20 hours ago, chaifan said:

Nitpick:  Kiefer Sutherland is 56 years old.  Which would make him 13 in 1981.  That kid at the table looked about 8. 

Other nitpick:  I hate it when they show people texting and we're supposed to be able to read the screen from across the room in the limited time they give us.  Yeah, I know, we can pause, etc., but we shouldn't have to do that. 

In episode 3 -

Spoiler

We find out that Weir was 10 when his father 'died', he thought he was dead for 35 years, and it's now 5 years later.  Therefore, Kiefer is playing a 50 year old character.