Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: Awake

Snazzy Daisy
  • Start Topic

Well there it is.  Lauren Ambrose was the MVP of this episode.  Her reaction during the Reveal was so good.  

I feel like her acting underscored the limitations of Toby Kebbell's performance.  As Dorothy reacted, Sean should have been getting emotional as well, remembering his son was dead and blaming himself.  Instead he spoke to Dorothy like he was telling her plot points from a movie.

Every time Leanne appeared on screen, the music got all horror movie-esque, and I felt like laughing, because she was just doing the same stuff she'd been doing all along.  The scenes should have been shot to make her look creepier.

Likewise, we knew the stairs scene was coming.  I thought it would be a lot more tense and dramatic, but Dorothy seemed to get down those stairs with surprising ease.

Nitpicking aside, great episode, and I can't wait for the series finale!

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
(edited)

The reveal is worth the wait. It feels repetitive to us the viewers, but it’s new to Dorothy. Fantastic performances from Lauren, Toby and Rupert. We can feel various degrees of guilt and regret from Sean and Juju, while Dorothy is overwhelmed with fear and confusion.

Great camera works, MNS style. The car scenes trigger some feelings of suffocation. The shot closing-in on Dorothy when she comes into realization, it’s perfection! I wish they linger a little bit longer in this scene. From a blurred shot of Leanne holding a limp doll to her standing next to confused Dorothy with a clear shot of the doll’s head, it’s creepy!

Sean and Juju are quite verbally aggressive with Leanne. They still believe what Uncle George told them that Leanne is just a deranged girl with no power.

The Faustian Bargain?!

We have Leanne telling Dorothy all she wants to hear while Sean and Juju are trying to convince her otherwise. An angel on one side and a devil on another. But who is the devil? Is Leanne testing Dorothy with an offer she can’t refuse?

“Dorothy, I can bring him back for good. It’ll be just you and me and him. You once told me that you would do anything for Jericho. Then here’s your chance. All you have to do is say YES.”

After watching this episode, I have a feeling that this show will leave it to us to decide what Leanne really is…😣

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Like 2

Oh well,  after 3 great seasons they choose the most boring and uninspired route to finish the show.

Spoiler

Leanne is a figment of Dorothy's imagination.

And funny that YOU did similar stint in season 4.  

Sean and Julian’s bargain with the devil was the doll, the lie that got Dorothy back. The direction is superb. We know the revelation but Dorothy doesn’t and we laser in on her point of view. 

this show is so beautifully and sparely filmed and there is so much in every frame. 

36 minutes ago, skotnikov said:

Oh well,  after 3 great seasons they choose the most boring and uninspired route to finish the show.

Hide contents

Leanne is a figment of Dorothy's imagination.

And funny that YOU did similar stint in season 4.  

I din’t think there is an outcome that would be shocking if you are paying attention. I think it is a mistake to expect that. The importance is the positioning of the characters, who have been developed and come to this point. 

like 6th sense, all placing of camera and so on but if you were paying attention you weren’t surprised at the end. 

Edited by Affogato
  • Like 1

I wonder if the entire sequence was in Dorothy's head.  Why would Julian and Sean, knowing that Dorothy is partially paralyzed, rely on her to get down the stairs and sneak out to the sidewalk in order to impart their important information to her?  

• Useful 1

I truly cannot predict what will happen in the last episode.. On one hand Leanne needs to be stopped. But if she is dealt with, then there's no Jericho... 

Argh I just hope we get a satisfactory ending and not something that will make us even more confused..

I also think that Dorothy will just accept Leanne and everything will go back to "normal" and the others are just going to have to go along with it like nothing has happened (just like how they did with the doll). I hope I'm wrong though.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, tired and hungry said:

I truly cannot predict what will happen in the last episode.. On one hand Leanne needs to be stopped. But if she is dealt with, then there's no Jericho... 

Argh I just hope we get a satisfactory ending and not something that will make us even more confused..

I also think that Dorothy will just accept Leanne and everything will go back to "normal" and the others are just going to have to go along with it like nothing has happened (just like how they did with the doll). I hope I'm wrong though.

I could see Dorothy initially going along with it... due to shock and not wanting to lose her son... before realizing Leanne is destroying the world and making a sacrifice to stop her.

• Useful 1
13 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

I could see Dorothy initially going along with it... due to shock and not wanting to lose her son... before realizing Leanne is destroying the world and making a sacrifice to stop her.

Yep. this is what I thought too. But then I also thought that she would get rid of Leanne if that meant giving up Jericho especially since she remembers the past now. Kind of like a bargain for what has happened and they just come to terms with it & move on knowing that the Jericho chapter is over. 

I don't think both options are possible. Kill Leanne and keep Jericho. It must be one or the other... 

• Like 1