Type keyword(s) to search

S44: Matt Blankinship

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Matt Blankinship

Hometown: Albany, Calif.

Current Residence: San Francisco, Calif.

Three Words to Describe You: Joyful, empathetic, persistent

Why do you want to be part of Survivor? 10 years ago (wow!), I told everyone that would listen I was made for Survivor. When it came to applying though, I chickened out. Now I want to close the loop on this unfinished business and I'm excited for the opportunity!

What's one life experience you feel has prepared you for the game? Honestly? Failing at stuff. Failing to get a job, into college, into Survivor (the first time). In all those cases, I had to pick myself up and try again, and I think the best Survivors are defined by how they respond to setbacks.

Which previous player do you identify with the most? Who do you think you will play most like? I aspire to combine the listening and consensus-building strengths of Yul with some goofiness and youthful energy, a la Maryanne.

What will you value in an alliance partner? I think the days of riding coattails are over; everyone is too good at the game. So what I want is someone I genuinely connect with, who I can frankly and openly discuss ways to mutually benefit.

Favorite Hobbies: Taiko, music, running.

Pet Peeves: People who interrupt other people.

What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? Running a marathon. No other time in my life has so much time, sweat, and willpower coalesced into one awesome event. At least... not yet.

What is something we would never know from looking at you?  Not a fan of peanut butter.

Who in your life is your biggest inspiration and why? Both my parents have inspired and continue to inspire me. No matter what personal issue they had, they always prioritized my brother and I, which I'll always be grateful for.

Why will you be the Sole Survivor? I've got the 1-2 punch of a goofy grin and a strategic brain, with an ultra-competitive hot streak. I'll be the last one standing.

Matt.jpeg

I think he’s trying too hard to be an epic soundbite guy.  I think he’s trying too hard to get some sort of “underdog (due to anxiety) to fan favorite/winner edit.  In general, I’m sick of the underdog to winner edit heavily shown on shows these days (the “if win, it’ll really mean something because I’ve suffered once upon a time.”). Something about the way he latched onto another player so quickly and intensely puts me ill at ease.

On 3/6/2023 at 8:32 PM, Scatterbrained said:

I think he’s trying too hard to be an epic soundbite guy.  I think he’s trying too hard to get some sort of “underdog (due to anxiety) to fan favorite/winner edit.  In general, I’m sick of the underdog to winner edit heavily shown on shows these days (the “if win, it’ll really mean something because I’ve suffered once upon a time.”). Something about the way he latched onto another player so quickly and intensely puts me ill at ease.

So - v2.0 of Owen from last season?  😁

(edited)
6 hours ago, Nashville said:

So - v2.0 of Owen from last season?  😁

I feel that Owen inadvertently became “the sound bite guy”/season narrator.  I think he was MADE that because he made it to final three, so they HAD to show him.  If he hadn’t made it that far, then I think he would have been a mostly invisible player.  His suffering on the show was real, we saw how he was not included or taken very seriously by his fellow players and how that really bothered him.  I guess that means his social game sucked, and it seemed to dredge up some genuine hurts from the past (self-loathing about being “different”).  In short, I think they are different.  

Edited by Scatterbrained
(edited)
On 3/7/2023 at 9:21 AM, peachmangosteen said:

He reminds me of a cross between the actor who plays Li on Days of Our Lives and Crystal Method from Rupaul's Drag Race so I like him based pretty much solely on that lol.

So, you like that he’s an Asian-ish male?  Yul would be my favorite in that category, I also liked Yau-man and Tai.  Cao Boi and Woo were also entertaining.  My other half is an asian male.  So, I do not dislike the category, and I understand the importance of representation, but I like/ dislike people based upon personality, and this person hasn’t grown on me yet.  Perhaps that will change as the season unfolds.  We shall see.

Edited by Scatterbrained