Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E13: Lion's Share

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

letter-c.png

Wow. If this were WWE television, we'd be shouting at Hicks, "you still got it!"

Invade his house at your peril.

...and, welp, Tan. Sad, but it's probably too cruel to run a storyline breaking up the other marriage on this show (whose husband was conspicuously absent from this episode), so Tan and Bonnie get that storyline.

I still don't know how I feel about it, because I like Tan and I like Bonnie and I liked them together and this storyline is a cliche in police procedurals.

On the flip side, marital problems are a reality within the police, and this time it's not Tan who was the one doing the drifting, so it's a bit of a novel approach.

So we'll see.

As for the case itself, there was a lot of unexplored potential. I'm not sure if it was the writing or the acting or the directing but these characters could have been portrayed a bit more sympathetically. Because their situation should be one that is sympathetic.

Besides, the opportunity was there to cast Miguel and his crew as the real good guys- if only misguided and pushed past their limits- exposing a shady dealing that probably happens far more often than we'd like to think.

I know this show likes to operate more on the "black and white" side of morality, but every now and then they should know it's OK to be grey every now and then. Tonight could have- and should have- been one of those episodes.

• Like 2

Poor Victor. It was rich of Bonnie trying to put 100% of the blame on him and his schedule when she contributed to the problem by traveling so much. I assume Bonnie is making good money being a sports agent so I wonder if she’ll have to pay alimony if this ends in divorce?

Hicks still got it

I felt sorry for Miguel and his family and appreciate Hicks trying to reach out, but once the young man chose violence against others, he stepped on his message

The absence of Deac in this episode, did anyone in 20-Squad mention anything about it?

Hicks hasn’t slept in what, 48 hrs? And he still can overpower Miguel? Bravo commander! 👏🏻 The classical music in the background does give an eerie feeling that something bad is coming.

Despite what happened to Miguel, I struggle to sympathize with him. I remember and can relate to his grandpa and his mom, but not him.

The Roxana character is pointless.

Wow, Bonnie must have been really busy smooching and playing footsie with her secret lover. She doesn’t even think that Alexis looks somewhat familiar. 

Poor Tan… among all the marital problems in the world that the writers can come-up with, why cheating??! Will they bring back Ally Donovan (Brooke Nevin)? 🤨

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Xantar said:

Poor Nichelle is also totally absent and nobody even notices. 😟

I noticed, but I also figured this would happen. She's poorly integrated into the show's milieu as it is, so I knew there would be times Nischelle would just be dropped entirely.

I don't think, overall, that it's a good sign the show is playing musical chairs with its main cast. Perhaps we have too many cooks in the kitchen?

On 2/12/2023 at 11:02 PM, SnazzyDaisy said:

Poor Tan… among all the marital problems in the world that the writers can come-up with, why cheating??!

Part of what bothers me about this new development is that Tan feels like he's being "othered". It's rare these days to have interracial couples in Hollywood, and rarer still for that couple to be treated as a normal, happy couple. You don't get a sense that Tan married Bonnie because he has a "white woman fetish" and vice versa with the "Asian fetish" for Bonnie- they were just a normal, happy couple who happened to be interracial. Tan's mother also treated the relationship like it was no big deal.

Heck, the Carmichaels gave Hondo more grief over shacking with Nischelle than Bonnie got for marrying Tan.

...and all that is being thrown away for what? Cheap drama? Because Tan and Bonnie are so poorly developed as characters that the best the writers could come up with for "something to do" for both of the characters is to simply split them up?

We've already had the "relationship issues" storyline earlier when Tan accidentally ate the pot brownie- this feels like a bigger but lazier retread.

What message does this tell Tan? He should have married the Chinese woman down the hall from him? This is just not a good story choice all around.

• Like 2

Holy crap. Tan is no shrinking violet. 

I do like that he didn't let Bonnie blame their distance on his job. I was surprised with him immediately asking her to leave. She didn't even pack a bag. Dang.

On 2/14/2023 at 5:16 AM, Danielg342 said:

We've already had the "relationship issues" storyline earlier when Tan accidentally ate the pot brownie- this feels like a bigger but lazier retread.

What message does this tell Tan? He should have married the Chinese woman down the hall from him? This is just not a good story choice all around.

I'm also curious. Did the actress get another gig? 

Even so, I wish they'd come up with something besides her cheating on him.

I think like with a lot of these cop/FB1 shows, that the significant other/family is supposed to be a grounding place for them to come home to after the stress of the job. That's what Nichelle is supposed to be, and her job is supposed to integrate her more into the cast.

They're probably trying to figure out the balance with her. I'm hoping they find it.