Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: You Never Asked

jewel21
  • Start Topic

George finally believes Lucy about hearing the skull, but won't share what's been happening to him after looking into the mirror. And Lucy doesn't tell him or Lockwood that the skull hinted to her about that. Oh, well.

I don't remember any hint of romance in the first book, but they're playing it up in the show. I think it works, but just hope they don't go full love triangle.

• Love 1
On 2/6/2023 at 1:39 PM, Bellatrix said:

So ... Penelope Fittes ... Lucy’s biological mother? Y/y?

I've been rereading the first book and there isn't any suggestion of that. Her mom in the book is much less ruthless than in the show. She's single and raising 3(?) kids without much money or support so she's neglectful, but she's not hateful towards Lucy like she is in the show.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

I've been rereading the first book and there isn't any suggestion of that. Her mom in the book is much less ruthless than in the show. She's single and raising 3(?) kids without much money or support so she's neglectful, but she's not hateful towards Lucy like she is in the show.

They just had this insta-connect that usually leads to “I am your Father ... Er, Mother”-moments. *g*

The age difference seemed a bit big for it to be anything else, though the other kid and semi!hot librarian managed to get in on, so ...

(Don’t remember the names. That other kid and the older woman who turned out to be evil.) 

5 hours ago, Bellatrix said:

(Don’t remember the names. That other kid and the older woman who turned out to be evil.) 

He is George, she is "OMG I can't believe that's Molly Hooper!" lol Yeah, can't remember her name here. Gretchen, Josephine, no clue. 

Lucy's mum on the show was horrible. I wonder what made them decide to go that route. In the book she just felt like an overworked, overstressed mum while on the show she was basically selling her daughter to the highest bidder.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 2/22/2023 at 11:13 PM, Mabinogia said:

He is George, she is "OMG I can't believe that's Molly Hooper!" lol Yeah, can't remember her name here. Gretchen, Josephine, no clue. 

Lucy's mum on the show was horrible. I wonder what made them decide to go that route. In the book she just felt like an overworked, overstressed mum while on the show she was basically selling her daughter to the highest bidder.

George! That was it! I knew that he ... had a name. *g* She did look like a Gretchen or Josephine!

Molly Hooper! I can't believe that was her, either! Well-spotted! 😊 Well, at least this milfy Molly Hooper got the nerdy guy this time, lol. Even though she decided that she wanted a mirror made out of bones more. For reasons. Evil reasons.

Lucy’s mother seemed more than abnormally cold and hateful towards her daughter on the TV show. Glad to hear she was more normal in the books. Overworked and overstressed is kind of sad and true to the life this reality would be. Easy to fall into letting her daughter do something she would otherwise be against if she had had more options. That is sadly true of real life, as well.

Edited by Bellatrix
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Bellatrix said:

Well, at least this milfy Molly Hooper got the nerdy guy this time, lol. Even though she decided that she wanted a mirror made out of bones more. For reasons. Evil reasons.

Being rejected by Sherlock will do that to a gal. HAHAHAHA

I kind of wish they hadn't gone quite so evil with Lucy's mum for the show, but I guess it was kind of tv shorthand to get us to "Lucy is alone and desperate". It just felt unnecessary to me. But I give it a pass because everything else about the show works for me. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

For all the talk about a curfew and adults being at risk at night, so much of the story happens at night with adults roaming around without a care in the world. Shouldn't the ball be held during daylight hours? Or have I missed something? I'm slowly working through the fantastic series, not because I'm not hooked damn work requirements and the fact I need to watch this in daylight hours haha.

11 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

For all the talk about a curfew and adults being at risk at night, so much of the story happens at night with adults roaming around without a care in the world. Shouldn't the ball be held during daylight hours? Or have I missed something?

Either Lockwood or George mention that the rich adults held the ball at night because they like the idea of being safe inside while all the ghosts were about. Basically your typical "we do it because we are rich and we can". I hadn't noticed a lot of adults wondering around at night, just the taxi drivers who I am sure have some sort of protection in their cabs. There are also the ghost lights that have been mentioned that offer some sort of protection though I forget what, exactly, they do. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 3/1/2023 at 10:56 PM, Mabinogia said:

Being rejected by Sherlock will do that to a gal. HAHAHAHA

*cackles* YES, it will! 😅🤣😂

On 3/1/2023 at 10:56 PM, Mabinogia said:

I kind of wish they hadn't gone quite so evil with Lucy's mum for the show, but I guess it was kind of tv shorthand to get us to "Lucy is alone and desperate". It just felt unnecessary to me. But I give it a pass because everything else about the show works for me. 

A glacier had more warmth than Lucy’s mother for the show! Yeesh. She really was over-the-top evil!

ALL THE TV-VIEWERS: "Lucy is alone and desperate." We get it 🙄

Agree about it being unnecessary, but giving it a pass because everything else about the show works for me 😊

This is actually one of those times where TV as a media has a huge advantage over books. Unwanted family that is in the way of the story? Show them once and then they are GONE. In books it’s always "I wonder what Bob is doing now ..." Nobody cares about Bob!

• Like 1