Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E14: The Offer

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

When a billionaire’s daughter goes missing, he publicly announces a hefty reward for her safe return, sparking concern for the FBI. Garza’s ex-wife makes a surprise appearance and shakes things up with the team.

Original airdate 1/31/23

The episode wasn't as fun/funny/quirky as the initial episodes. The show is quickly becoming like all the other crime procedurals that I do not watch. They may lose me the way The Rookie did. P.S. where is Antoinette, she has a way of making any episode more interesting.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

The episode wasn't as fun/funny/quirky as the initial episodes. The show is quickly becoming like all the other crime procedurals that I do not watch. They may lose me the way The Rookie did. P.S. where is Antoinette, she has a way of making any episode more interesting.

Agree with all of the above, but both Rookies are still lighter fare than a lot of the dark dramas that I stopped watching. 

I did think this was a particularly creative and tightly written episode.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Paula Marshall 
114_the-rookie-feds_photo12.jpg

Next New Episode: February 14, 2023      

That’s who that was! It was driving me crazy and IMDB hasn’t been updated yet. 

I pegged the brother as involved the moment he spoke to Laura & Agent Vampire Cop (can’t remember his name). Same on Will Trent right after this show. I’m either smart or watch too many crime shows. I’d like to think it’s the former but pretty sure it’s the latter. 

• Wink 1

I hope Nicholas Brittell has a really great lawyer to sue Jordan Gagne, because to my ears, that wasn’t a “sounds like” the Succession theme, that wasn’t “paying homage to” the Succession theme, that wasn’t ‘sampling’ the Succession theme, that *was* the Succession theme.

Admittedly, this “homage” made me laugh so hard.

• LOL 1
4 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

I hope Nicholas Brittell has a really great lawyer to sue Jordan Gagne, because to my ears, that wasn’t a “sounds like” the Succession theme, that wasn’t “paying homage to” the Succession theme, that wasn’t ‘sampling’ the Succession theme, that *was* the Succession theme.

Admittedly, this “homage” made me laugh so hard.

I didn’t watch enough episodes of Succession for me to ever recognize its theme music (I have more than enough of my own family drama), so I don’t know how large or significant of a proportion of the Succession theme music was played in this Rookie episode, but if the sound of the theme music was likely to cause viewers to admit that “this homage made me laugh so hard,” that seems to me that the purpose of the use of the music is a comedic parody, which has been considered “Fair Use” (see Factor 3).

I recall giving an explanation of Fair Use doctrine to a music professor who asked regarding a small amount of music tablature he intended to include in a book he was publishing, and that the professor then decided to get legal permission to use it (rather than just cite the composer).

But, interestingly 🤔 🧐 SongsLikeX.com includes under “Songs Similar to ‘Astronomy’ by Jordan Gagne” the song “Intermezzo in C Minor - ‘Money Wins’ by Nicholas Britell” which is apparently the theme song to Succession (youtu.be/6RzHq1bsUfg).

Notably:
Google reveals a 2017 date for Gagne’s “Astronomy,” and a 2020 date for Britell’s “Money Wins.”

Edited by shapeshifter