Type keyword(s) to search

A Friend of the Family: True Evil

• Start Topic

Companion documentary to "A Friend of the Family" limited series from Peacock. Premieres November 15, 2022

A Friend of the Family: True Evil, the documentary companion to Peacock's popular scripted series, is the story of Jan Broberg, who survived years of childhood sexual abuse at the hands of family friend and neighbor, Robert Berchtold. Through all-new interviews with Jan and her family, NBC News correspondent Andrea Canning explores in detail how Berchtold methodically and deviously gained access to Jan, exploited her family, instigated encounters with - and blackmailed - both her parents, and brainwashed Jan to believe that aliens would kill her and harm her sisters and parents if she didn't bend to his will. As Jan confronts the painful events that shaped her, she meets another survivor of Berchtold's abuse, who shares her own experiences for the first time. Through Jan's journey, this saga of lies, deceit, and inhumanity becomes a powerful story of endurance, courage, and a family's life-affirming bond.

Jan and her family do seem like nice people although I still think they are being naive. Jan calls Gail (Berchtold's wife) an "angel person", I wouldn't be as kind because I think Gail must have known something was up with her husband. 

When the other victim of B's said he had 2 nude pictures of Jan I am skeptical that Jan didn't remember having him take those pictures. Jan said she had to make herself believe she loved B and I think she was willing to do anything he asked. She still may not want to publicly tell everything she did, it is sad that she was a child put in that position. 

Sounds like Jan has put a lot of her burden on her son to take care of her emotionally, and the other victim of B's she met with said her children were her support system. I don't think that is healthy but they were put in a terrible situation and I realize they have to do what they can to cope with it and keep living. It's better than depending on drugs or alcohol.

I read that Jan said she never loved a man again like she loved "B", that is really messed up.

Edited by Armchair Critic
  • Sad 1
15 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

Jan and her family do seem like nice people although I still think they are being naive. Jan calls Gail (Berchtold's wife) an "angel person", I wouldn't be as kind because I think Gail must have known something was up with her husband. 

When the other victim of B's said he had 2 nude pictures of Jan I am skeptical that Jan didn't remember having him take those pictures. Jan said she had to make herself believe she loved B and I think she was willing to do anything he asked. She still may not want to publicly tell everything she did, it is sad that she was a child put in that position. 

Sounds like Jan has put a lot of her burden on her son to take care of her emotionally, and the other victim of B's she met with said her children were her support system. I don't think that is healthy but they were put in a terrible situation and I realize they have to do what they can to cope with it and keep living. It's better than depending on drugs or alcohol.

I read that Jan said she never loved a man again like she loved "B", that is really messed up.

I don’t see anything wrong necessarily with someone’s adult child being their support system. If you aren’t partnered and your parents are dead, that’s likely who is the closest person to you emotionally. Putting your young child,  or teenage kid in that position- no. 

I don’t think Jan is being dishonest but it’s likely she doesn’t remember everything and she has to compartmentalize things to emotionally to make it, after what B but her through. 

• Like 2