Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: The Buffalo Gun

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

I'll just keep talking to myself here, since very few others seem to be watching. 😁 I'm gonna miss this series when it's gone. Maybe hope for a second season with Eli traveling to his 160 acres? I want to see more of this character.

Many people don't realize the massive slaughter of bison wasn't simply insane mayhem - it was part of a strategy to starve Indians and manipulate them to settle on their 160 acre allotments and become farmers. This series does a great job of explaining real history via dialogue.

The scene with Eli and Touching Ground shouting their celebration of killing bad guys, knowing she would be killed in the next moment, was very powerful. I'm glad Eli gave her that comfort and unity.

What was Cornelia rubbing on her body? I understand it was a cleansing metaphor, but the shiny imprint of her body made me wonder if it was silica or gypsum, which are sometimes found in deserts.

Only one more episode. Sob.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

This show is a challenge to keep up with but I'm enjoying it. The dialogue is often hard to make out and the story skips around a lot. Bit of tonal whiplash sometimes too.

I loved that the Scotsman didn't let Cornelia pretend that the English have any moral high ground when it comes to committing atrocities against foreign peoples.

• Love 2
On 12/3/2022 at 6:25 AM, pasdetrois said:

I'll just keep talking to myself here, since very few others seem to be watching. 😁 I'm gonna miss this series when it's gone. Maybe hope for a second season with Eli traveling to his 160 acres? I want to see more of this character.

Many people don't realize the massive slaughter of bison wasn't simply insane mayhem - it was part of a strategy to starve Indians and manipulate them to settle on their 160 acre allotments and become farmers. This series does a great job of explaining real history via dialogue.

The scene with Eli and Touching Ground shouting their celebration of killing bad guys, knowing she would be killed in the next moment, was very powerful. I'm glad Eli gave her that comfort and unity.

What was Cornelia rubbing on her body? I understand it was a cleansing metaphor, but the shiny imprint of her body made me wonder if it was silica or gypsum, which are sometimes found in deserts.

Only one more episode. Sob.

Yeah, this was another lovely episode. I've enjoyed it, although I do think they've occasionally had difficulties with presenting a clear narrative. But the core is Cornelia and her strength and relationship with Eli, and that has really gotten to me.

On 12/9/2022 at 7:59 PM, Quickbeam said:

I loved this episode. After the “huh?” That was episode 4, this one moved the story forward and took us back to the west. The crazy old woman in the Quaker like bonnet was a great bit. Lots of action. 

Loved the cool, calm way Cornelia wreaked havoc on everyone there! They were horrible people who would have victimized many, many more, so good for Cornelia.

On 12/14/2022 at 1:33 PM, Kirsty said:

I loved that the Scotsman didn't let Cornelia pretend that the English have any moral high ground when it comes to committing atrocities against foreign peoples.

Yeah, I like that too. As well as the Sheriff's wry understated Irishness -- there's a world of subtext there too.