Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Path of the Dead

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

I was stunned at the beauty of the final scene.  First we see Eli's horse dancing and disappearing in a swirl of dust, and then an astounding camera pan from Cordelia to Eli as he sings out to her and the sun sets. I've never seen anything like it.

Was the English farmer played by the actor who was Prince Albert to Blunt's Victoria in a movie? Presumably he is the Englishman Cordelia is seeking?

Perhaps due to the late hour, I got confused about what was happening in the little house. Too many non-specific pronouns as they conversed. They spoke of a bereaved mother nearby who might nurse the baby, then seemed to switch to saying that the two children had family "south." It's hard to believe that Cordelia would make that journey with a newborn and little girl alone.

I like that the writers worked in references to the Dawes Act allotments - essentially the cause of the biggest grab of tribal land in US history. As Gary Farmer's character said, they shoved Indians onto 40 acres of non-sustainable land. When those "farms" failed and taxes couldn't be paid, the government made the land available for white homesteaders.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
On 11/20/2022 at 7:06 AM, pasdetrois said:

Was the English farmer played by the actor who was Prince Albert to Blunt's Victoria in a movie? Presumably he is the Englishman Cordelia is seeking?

No the English farmer played Albert in a tv show opposite Jenna Coleman. Emily’s Albert was another guy but it does make me really want a scene between those two for the inside joke! 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1

I enjoyed this, although I am still finding Cornelia a little odd. She's almost casual about all this, and it's very strange to me. Like, she's been attacked and threatened repeatedly and it doesn't seem to touch her, although I did appreciate that she broke down slightly after she shot the guy running away.

I'm not unhappy with this weirdness, because it feels like it's part of some aspect of her personality or trauma that will be revealed later. But it does give things a unique atmosphere thus far.

Also, she has GOT to stop doing exactly what he tells her not to do! Like when he plainly told her not to mention the money, and she's like, "Oh, yeah, I left the money. I can trust them." And I was just rolling my damn eyes all over the place. I thought the couple were maybe 75% trustworthy -- they would feed them, sure, and maybe even find the baby a home. But I absolutely think they will take her money if they find it. Especially in this brutal landscape/life.

But that said, I loved their conversation by the fire. You can tell he feels care and concern for her, and a little admiration, but also has a thousand reasons not to reveal that. Not to mention that she could very well get him killed. And I absolutely love the show's attention and visible respect given to the Indigenous characters and actors (and casting appropriately). It's seriously so important and so cool.

I was surprised how moved I was when Eli sang to her in farewell as she left. That was gorgeous. I love both performers, and they're really interesting together -- both very charismatic, and the chemistry is all the more interesting because she's leaning in and he's leaning out.

Also, please, Eli, please follow Cornelia because she is a trusting doofus who will undoubtedly be in over her head again within 24 hours, if that.

On 11/20/2022 at 5:06 AM, pasdetrois said:

I was stunned at the beauty of the final scene.  First we see Eli's horse dancing and disappearing in a swirl of dust, and then an astounding camera pan from Cordelia to Eli as he sings out to her and the sun sets. I've never seen anything like it.

Perhaps due to the late hour, I got confused about what was happening in the little house. Too many non-specific pronouns as they conversed. They spoke of a bereaved mother nearby who might nurse the baby, then seemed to switch to saying that the two children had family "south." It's hard to believe that Cordelia would make that journey with a newborn and little girl alone.

I like that the writers worked in references to the Dawes Act allotments - essentially the cause of the biggest grab of tribal land in US history. As Gary Farmer's character said, they shoved Indians onto 40 acres of non-sustainable land. When those "farms" failed and taxes couldn't be paid, the government made the land available for white homesteaders.

The couple were talking about two different potential options for the children -- the family they knew not far away from them who had just lost a baby -- and also mentioned that there was a Mennonite family to the South (which was where the pregnant couple mentioned they were headed).

Also, thank you for the historical info!

On 12/7/2022 at 6:26 AM, dubbel zout said:

The English farmer is Tom Hughes; Emily's Albert is Rupert Friend.

Oh, I do love Rupert Friend. One of my favorite things about "Homeland." He's so gifted, and I still don't understand why he isn't a huge star. But at least he works a lot.

Speaking of which -- I was tickled to see Stephen Rea as the sheriff -- and loved that he was allowed to keep his Irish accent! (Also, Stephen looks pretty damn good for 77 -- I'm so glad he's still working, since he's always been a favorite of mine.)

• Love 1