Type keyword(s) to search

My Policeman (2022)

RedElf
  • Start Topic

It was interesting. Tom was very unfair to Marion. He was really in love with Patrick but he couldn't come to terms with his own sexuality - even in his late years.  Why wouldn't he seek out a lesbian for a marriage of convivence so they both can hide and have a good front for a heterosexual marriage while having their own on the side?

Super shocked that Patrick wasn't a bit more careful and hid his diaries.  He knew what the consequences were if he was caught.

Marion being naïve that Tom would come back to her if Patrick was out of the picture and then the guilt that she lived with that she not only destroyed Patrick's life but Tom's as well and to extent her's.

The movie was perhaps too kind to the men who conspired to rob Marion of her life. To set out to commit fraud on an unsuspecting mark was cruel.  Of course, I guess all three suffered.  I guessed Marion turned Patrick in immediately after his arrest. Apparently, he was actually prosecuted for the public sex….which confuses me, since he knew the risks.  He had a perfectly nice flat, yet took those chances. Hmmm….incredibly foolish. I wasn’t sure how old he was supposed to be at that time.  Twenties? Thirties?  

I thought that Patrick had ALS, but later Marion says he might recover….?  Not from ALS.   

I didn’t like the way Marion and Tom loudly argued so Patrick could hear while he lay paralyzed in bed.  Regardless, of whether he was welcome, you don’t bring a sick paralyzed man into your home and then shout as to how he’s not wanted and who should kick him out.  

I may watch this movie again.  I’m not quite how I feel about it.  

• Love 1

I think maybe if I were a teen I romanticize the film more and think, "Poor Tom and Patrick - denied a chance to live a life together due to the era." But as an adult I'm considerably less sympathetic as Tom did not have to use Marion in order to not be caught out for being gay.

I loved how the film peeled back the layers of the relationship: showing it from Tom's eyes, from Marion's eyes, the reveal that Marion knew much longer than the audiences suspected. I really enjoyed it and thought it was a beautiful film. However, I don't like how Tom and Patrick did not truly (in my eyes) make amends to Marion for their duplicity.

Marion finding out and staying was her choice. That decision squarely lies with her. But she opens her home to Patrick because of her remorse for reporting him to the police, yet Tom never seems to show regret for lying to her about cheating on her and using her as a smokescreen. Patrick never gets a chance to show if he has any regrets or remorse for gleefully bringing Tom with him to Italy (the one place Marion dreamed of going) and remaining in their lives to act as a friend to Marion all the while sleeping with Tom. It truly rankles that she is the only who regret the hurt she caused, whereas the men are only focused on their hurt from not being with each other.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I just watched this last night and one thing really confused me.  In one of the earliest scenes where Tom & Marion are fighting over the fact that she brought Patrick into their home, Tom says something to the effect of "I can't believe you would bring him here after what he did."  That line stuck with me through the rest of the movie so I kept waiting for the big reveal as to what "Patrick did."  Did I miss something?  What exactly did Patrick "do?"  Of the three, Tom deceived & married Marion and Marion turned Patrick into the police.  I still am not sure what Patrick did other than be collusive in the deceiving of Marion.

The reason I waited so long to watch this is because Harry Styles was being crammed down everyone throats pretty heavily a while back, everything was Harry Styles this! and Harry Styles that!  and I was Harry-ed out.  This was the first time I have seen him act in anything and I thought he did a pretty good job.  I was pleasantly surprised.