Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Conquer or Die

• Start Topic

I did my best to just go with this on its own terms for the second episode. Based on the absolute lack of posts here and the fact that my streaming Amazon showed only two and a half stars, it seems I’m not the only one having trouble.   

In theory this could be a workable idea, the Marquise we came to know in the source material is a ruthless powerhouse because she is driven by the exigencies of survival. The kind of person who even when safe doesn’t feel safe because they were unsafe for so long.  

I just don’t feel it watching this. I don’t feel the fear of falling or death. I don’t think the things Camille does to maintain her precarious position are believable. The Marquis de Merteuille would have thrown her out of his house. And no references to suicide (though suicide was more scandalous from a religious pov in those days) and quotes from a letter would have stopped him. Nor would he let her just return to her room after asking her to leave the first time. The Ancien Regime had a sense of privilege we would have trouble even contemplating after the  effects of the coming revolutions. Though I guess she ends up married to the Marquis at some point. Not certain how that will work. 

Valmont remains ridiculous in every aspect. I don’t care about the poor man’s Jean Val Jean chasing Pascal but he scares me for Camille or any woman being chased by a man looking to sin but convinced he’s morally superior. Always a frightening combination. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, WatcherUatl10 said:

I want to like this, but I don't see the charm or the smarm of the main two characters. And we SHOULD. I'm basically here for Paloma Faith, who was so good in Pennyworth, and is the best at making her scenes interesting so far in this.

Is Pennyworth good? I need a show to watch while fiber arting of various kinds. 

Aww, man!  I wanted to see more of the Marquise teach Camille to be a proper lady to fit in society.  I don't know if we're supposed to hate Valmont for what he's doing to the women in his life or sympathize with him that circumstances have forced him to live this way.  I want to know more about Victoire.  

On 11/14/2022 at 4:10 PM, AuntieMame said:

I don’t think the things Camille does to maintain her precarious position are believable. The Marquis de Merteuille would have thrown her out of his house. And no references to suicide (though suicide was more scandalous from a religious pov in those days) and quotes from a letter would have stopped him. Nor would he let her just return to her room after asking her to leave the first time.

Yes, it doesn't make sense that Roose Bolton would let himself be blackmailed by a girl from the streets.  

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Haleth said:

Aww, man!  I wanted to see more of the Marquise teach Camille to be a proper lady to fit in society.  I don't know if we're supposed to hate Valmont for what he's doing to the women in his life or sympathize with him that circumstances have forced him to live this way.  I want to know more about Victoire.  

Yes, it doesn't make sense that Roose Bolton would let himself be blackmailed by a girl from the streets.  

I wanted to see more of that transformation too. We know Camille has been in a great house before but there are differences between being a servant, even a very high ranking one, and being a lady. As the Marquise herself said: “Privilege cannot be taught.”