Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: What a Disaster!

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I think most of it was from the perspective of the son, who is a young teenager. He can't drive yet and I don't know if he would be taking public transit to visit his old friends. Plus there's the upheaval of going to a new school and making new friends, which isn't the worst thing in the world, but that's huge to someone that age who has never moved before. 

I agree with that. The kid’s reaction was the one that didn’t bother me. It’s hard to judge since Ben was in the husband’s body but it didn’t seem like it was mostly from the son’s perspective. Based on what Jewel Staite’s character was saying it seemed like it was a big issue for the husband. That his resentment over the move was a big reason she wanted a divorce. That and Ben not leaping because the son never forgives his mom is what I found ridiculous.

Although I suppose you could say that it all just a sign that the husband was an ass. 

Mainly I felt the writing reaching really hard to turn a pretty normal situation into something comparable to what Ben experienced.

20 hours ago, Dani said:

I glad I’m not the only one that feels this way. It’s not perfect but I am enjoying the show. 

There are improvements to be made, but it's more good than bad, and I'm willing to stick with it as it finds its footing.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Dani said:

More importantly, unlike lightning strikes, live power lines provide a continuous flow of electricity. The metal frame would be charged until the electricity was shut off. They probably would have been protected for a little while as long as they didn’t touch any metal in the car but I wouldn’t want to be in that situation. Plus the dangers from electrified wet ground, electricities ability to arc, or the car catching on fire. 

You are also fine if you touch metal in the car, as you are not the path of least resistance to the ground.

Wet ground would make the electricity flow into the ground more efficiently.

Why would the car catch on fire?

All this far reaching to excuse bad writing. Why?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
20 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I think most of it was from the perspective of the son, who is a young teenager. He can't drive yet and I don't know if he would be taking public transit to visit his old friends. Plus there's the upheaval of going to a new school and making new friends, which isn't the worst thing in the world, but that's huge to someone that age who has never moved before. 

I don't know how many goodbyes I said during my school years (I moved a lot) - and they were each huge and heartbreaking. So yeah, I could feel for the boy. Especially since his friends were close enough to think he'd have contact, but too far away to make it a regular thing w/o parents taking him there (and public transport might not have been that safe for a young boy).

• Like 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, possibilities said:

If you can't take public transit buy the time you're in high school, you'll never be able to do it.

Was he in high school? I thought he was more middle schooler. My thoughts were that his folks  might not have wanted him to do it at all - that they thought navigating public transport from SF to Oakland (depending on the neighborhoods) could be complicated and not the safest thing.

Given that it seemed like the parents hadn't given any thought to him meeting with his old friends regularly (at least that I remember, I could be wrong).

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 1
  • Love 1