Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

• Start Topic

BeFunky-collage_-_2022-09-09T131007.jpg
Stuck in a small town without many prospects, Flynne Fisher is a brilliant gamer who works a dead end job to support her veteran brother and ailing mother. When her brother enlists her help playing an advanced video game known as a SIM , Flynne sees something she shouldn't, bringing real life danger to the family's doorstep.

Original Air Date: October 21, 2022  

I liked it enough to keep wanting to watch. It is the kind of show that can easily go off the rails, but since it's following a book that already has an ending maybe it'll be okay. I do wish they hadn't bothered with an accent for Flynne since it feels like CGM only remembered to use it about half the time.

• Like 2

I’m looking forward to more too. I read William Gibson back in the day and while cyber punk hasn’t remained a favorite sub genre, this show is striking a balance between nostalgia and contemporary that’s working for me so far. Makes me want to pull Mona Lisa Overdrive off the shelves. I wish they let us know more about why gaming is monetizeable for players and what it takes to be good at it when one of Gibson’s main themes was that it took a toll on the physical body and that mortality always won despite illusions to the contrary. Definitely willing to stick with this one for a bit. 

Edited by AuntieMame
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Arriving late to the party :

And now I wish I didn't know what enucleation means. That was some Clockwork Orange meets The Matrix meets Bond villain ish.

Cars with cloaking technology? Want!

I'm impressed with the production values. Hope they give Gary Carr's character something more substantial to do.

• Love 1