Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Broken Fall

• Start Topic

Annoying trope alert - the husband has something very important to tell his wife but she cuts him off and tells him how proud she is of him for doing the thing that he is trying to tel her didn't work out.  He then doesn't correct her.  Because reasons. 

Second annoying trope - one daughter is very popular; the other is not. 

Tropes aside, it's enough to draw me in. Mae is a good combo of innocent and creepy. 

• Like 2
  • Love 6

This is my kind of show, I love things about satanic cults. It has the right amount of creepy and regular home life stuff. I did wonder why the police wouldn't press more for information from Mae and that CPS would get involved since she is clearly maimed and didn't do it to herself. I think that it was probably just natural for Suzanne to want to bring her home but that should have been a decision made with her husband. I can't figure out if he is supposed to be a good guy or not, something seems kind of shady with him. 

• Love 1
On 9/11/2022 at 5:09 PM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Annoying trope alert - the husband has something very important to tell his wife but she cuts him off and tells him how proud she is of him for doing the thing that he is trying to tel her didn't work out.  He then doesn't correct her.  Because reasons. 

Second annoying trope - one daughter is very popular; the other is not. 

Tropes aside, it's enough to draw me in. Mae is a good combo of innocent and creepy. 

Annoying trope alert, continued.

-- Unpopular girl has token gay guy as confidante/accessory.

-- Crows are villified as sentinels/harbingers/avatars of evil.

-- Main character realizes there's something truly messed up about the mysterious character (bloody pentacle carved into her back, says grace to the "lord of demons) but doesn't think twice about bringing her home to a houseful of children or telling her husband.

This almost feels like a sequel to "Race With the Devil" (Peter Fonda, Warren Oates, Loretta Switt), but from a different perspective.

On the plus side, this one episode was better than any given episode of Stranger Things.

• Love 2
On 9/14/2022 at 3:06 AM, millennium said:

Annoying trope alert, continued.

[...]

-- Main character realizes there's something truly messed up about the mysterious character (bloody pentacle carved into her back, says grace to the "lord of demons) but doesn't think twice about bringing her home to a houseful of children or telling her husband.

In fairness to main character, she'd already brought mysterious character home to the family before she said grace :)

I enjoyed it so far in spite of the tropes and contrivances and always enjoy Emily Deschanel so that's good. Now just to deal with the disappointment of the lack of discussion on this forum! I honestly don't know how to watch TV without it anymore...

• Love 3