Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Ugly Like I Said

aghst
  • Start Topic

As Jackie continues his fling with Letitia Dryden, Jenny sets out to get her husband reinstated in the FBI. The pressure on Decourcy mounts when a colleague competing for the position of DA lands a conviction. Caysen testifies at the federal trial of Tony Suferin and is blindsided by the consequences. A threatening interaction offers Siobhan a sense of what exactly she is up against in her fight for the Mendoza family.

Jackie pretends not to have seen Dryden with the young woman who was looking woozy.

He's still sleeping with Letitia, whom Jenny finds out about.

But he's also doing the investigative legwork to nail Dryden for raping and killing the young woman, gets a copy of the post-mortem showing she was on Quaaludes, which would be evidence of rape.

DeCourcy subpoenas him to testify in the cop shooter case and Shimizu, his former boss, should be grateful but not enough when Jenny comes to her asked her to give Jackie his job back.

Jenny is undeterred, hires a scuba diver to retrieve the badge that Jackie threw into Boston harbor -- maybe the diver also found remnants of an old tea party as well.

Jenny is very bored and lonely, finds out Jackie is cheating on her again but begs him to come home and is trying to get him his job back.

Must be that sweet love from the Anita Baker song they played repeatedly on this episode, must have cost a pretty penny.

By contrast, Caysen's wife left him because she doesn't want him to be a cop any more but Jenny is all about standing by her man.

Except when she was trying to get with the hot young priest.  

She needs to have an affair, even though they're trying to give Jackie a bit of a redemption arc, as he will probably take down Dryden.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, aghst said:

DeCourcy subpoenas him to testify in the cop shooter case and Shimizu, his former boss, should be grateful but not enough when Jenny comes to her asked her to give Jackie his job back.

Jackie coming to life on the stand, knowing Shimizu needed him there to get the conviction was brilliant on Bacon's part. I liked at the end about shutting the defense down on whether he was lying. 

I did like that Jenny pointed out Jackie was good at his job. He's still good at it and the "we are the world" guys got a huge win because of him. I liked that Shimizu was way way harsh with Jenny; 'he's corrupt, lowlife, blah blah'. Ok, Karen, you're not looking much better since you needed him to close your case and are badmouthing him. Professional there. 

This was my favorite episode of the season because everyone was actually working. Sib is finally getting back to the Big Dig and getting threatened. She didn't even back down. I want to see more of this and less family nonsense. 

Great scene with Jackie and Decourcy when Jackie asks a 'hypothetical' and Decourcy looked horrified. "Come on, I have some ethical standards'. 

My favorite scene was maybe when Jackie went to hit up Dom's parents and then chews them out on the sidewalk. 

Is Dryden from an ‘old money’ Boston family?  Or did he earn that Back Bay townhouse by being a dirty cop?  I know the wife gave her background - grew up poor, hungry and abused, but I missed whether Dryden made or inherited his money.  He’s so gross and slimy, so I hope he gets tossed in jail (or Boston Hah-bah) by the end of the season.

What happened to the young woman from the previous episode?  Did he just put her in cap after the assault?  They should address that.  It could turn into a “Me Too” reveal, and dozens of women come forward to say they were his victims. But, then again, it’s taking place in the 90’s, and women were still being blamed for letting themselves get raped because they accepted a ride, or a drink, or a compliment from a man. 

I got the impression Dryden was old money. 

Clearly, Dominique and this newer woman aren't the first two he's drugged. Jackie may uncover a lot more victims. He's not dumb; he saw the one recently and is convinced about Dom, so it stands to reason he suspects more. This show being what it is, I don't know if he'd be able to prove the whole thing, and maybe only gets him on Dom. Although, who knows? The family is in 'negotiations' so they may get bought off. 

Maybe Jackie via Decourcy gets Shimizu to reinstate him if she can do that by delivering Dryden. That would be a monster case. 

I agree that this was probably the best of the season so far since everyone's actually doing what they're supposed to be doing.  And we even got some interaction between our two main stars.  It took me a while to realize that Caysen is also considered main cast, so following his story is also good, but I wasn't familiar with the actor before this show, so I guess I still think of him as a secondary character.  But I like how they all crossed paths here.  Makes it seem like they're actually part of the same show.

I'm not sure what the deal was with Jenny getting Jackie's badge back.  Obviously the badge itself has actual value, but I thought throwing it into the harbor was mostly symbolic.  If he quits, he quits.  If they ask him to turn in his badge, he can tell them truthfully that he threw it away.  If he's reinstated, wouldn't they issue him a new one?

Jenny was pointing out to Jackie when he wasn't getting up on time how he was always up on time for the FBI. Retrieving the badge is more for Jenny to show it to Jackie to motivate him to get back to who he is. 

Like I was saying before, this case with Dryden, bringing it to Shimizu and at the same time getting Decourcy a win in his 'competition' is probably how the season is playing out. The badge itself doesn't mean anything legally. Jenny wants to galvanize Jackie.