Type keyword(s) to search

Paloma Aguilar: Go Home-a, Paloma Deranged! Let the Deer and the Antelope Play!

While I agree that seldom should be heard a discouraging word about prioritizing the HGs' mental health (I took long enough to move past needing the mood-stabilizers, myself), I'm always disappointed that a spot gets wasted on someone who has to drop out.  For every Daniel who makes the show after years of auditioning, there are plenty still stuck in the pipeline; I can't imagine what it must be like to have gotten to pre-sequester, again, and find out that the girl you saw at lunch not only made the show, but quit the show, while you're still waiting for your chance. Ugh.

And I do have to wonder why Dr. Zachary (the show's psychologist) and her team were unable to help Paloma; disassociation is scary, with P not being able to tell whether or not she was experiencing reality, but as presented on the show, it seemed that most of Paloma's problems stemmed from lack of sleep.  I know the show loves the late night strategizing sessions, but perhaps not at the expense of someone who looked to be one of the season's best social players?  (I completely hated her getting the house to gang up on Taylor, but she certainly seemed good at accomplishing her goals.)

I mean, better a couple of sleeping pills than wrecking your "Backstage" twist, I would have thought.  I could be wrong, though.  Maybe I just need to sleep on it?

• Like 1

IMHO Paloma wasn’t mentally disturbed (well, not much more than most folks anyway), but she was one of those people who are very literally function-impaired if they don’t get a full 8+ hours of sleep - and the BB House is notoriously hard on conventional sleep patterns.  I’ve been a chronic insomniac since college, so I personally find it extremely difficult to relate to such folks; I have worked with such “sleep addicts” (my term) though, and they can get positively loopy if they’re sleep-shorted by as little as an hour on a single occasion (one night).  For such a sleep addict, multiple days of even (to most) relatively minor sleep deprivation could probably push them to the edge of semi-psychotic behavior.

(FYI: they’re also some of the whiniest bitches about it, which would explain a lot)

• Like 1
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

Paloma seemed to be having a manic episode.  For people who have a pre-existing mood disorder (diagnosed or not) sleep deprivation can trigger anxiety,  mania, even psychosis.

No argument there, but it does get a little into chicken-or-the-egg territory: did Paloma’s lack of sleep initiate her manic episodes, or exacerbate a preexisting condition?

• Love 1

Did any of you watch the live feeds when Paloma was on?  The episode that explained her decision to leave showed her lack of sleep and some concerning statements.  I also wondered if knowing that she stretched the truth/lied about Taylor and turned the whole house against her contributed to her sleepless nights and anxiety (along with the stress of game strategy and being in an unfamiliar environment.) I also wonder if the producers encouraged her to leave the show for her well being.  I'm glad they didn't share too much about what happened. If it is related to mental health, that needs to be treated carefully.

On 8/28/2022 at 9:17 PM, SemiCharmedLife said:

Did any of you watch the live feeds when Paloma was on?  The episode that explained her decision to leave showed her lack of sleep and some concerning statements.

Yep; not going to get into anything spoiler-y, but Paloma was definitely telegraphing some warning signs of starting down a rabbit hole of Inception-level delusion.  Makes me wonder if Paloma had the same notion as that one player from Survivor’s latest(?) season who thought doing the show was the perfect time to go cold turkey on his lithium regimen….  🧐

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1